Mailchimp and authtification of domain CNAME Woes

Highlighted
3 0 1

So while going through my Mailchimp account I saw where my domain is verified but not authticated. So I thought I would take care of that once I discovered that this will allow my email campaigns to show that they are coming from my domain name instead of Mailchimp. My domain was purchased through Shopify and when I try to add the custom CNAME record, as instructed by Mailchimp, the fields are different than every other host documentation that I can find. Has anyone done this? The name field does not want to accept special characters and the Mailchimp name has an _ so I am at a loss.  Any help would be apreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
929 58 116

Hi there Melanie!

Don here from Shopify. :)

As we're not experts on third-party company's services like MailChimp's we would have to advise you to reach out to MailChimp support for some clarification here.

There might be another method they provide that you can use to authenticate this domain as yours.

I did manage to find this article from MailChimp that you may already have seen detailing how this would work.

One thing I would double check is to ensure you have got the values entered in the right place for this record, with the k1._domainkey.yoursite.com (where yoursite.com is replaced by the domain name you are working with here) in the first field and the dkim.mcsv.net. as the value in the 'points to' field.

If the above is not working for you then I would reach out to MailChimp directly to see if there is anything else they can suggest or if they would even have to confirm that this would not be possible.

We're also available ourselves via our support site anytime to help out with any other matters that may arise.

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Melanie!

I am having the same issue, just curious if you have possibly found any updates!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

For anyone running into this issue, you just need to remove your domain from the CNAME. So for example, mailchimp tells you to set it as "k2._domainkey.yourdomain.com" which won't work if your domain is hosted on shopify. You'll need to change it to "k2._domainkey" which will work. I was able to figure this out after looking at the existing DKIM cnames created by shopify and noticed they don't have the ".yourdomain.com" after the "domainkey".

0 Likes