Make Local Pickup Default Option

kjurbanwinery
Visitor
2 0 0

Our business tends to do more local pickup orders than shipping orders. A lot of the time my customers do not see the local pickup option at checkout, they instead go into shipping options and I then get emails like "where is your local pickup option??? I only see shipping, I don't want to pay for shipping" .... This happens a lot. It would make it much easier if I could set the local pickup as the default shipping option. I know it looks pretty obvious on how to pick local pickup instead of shipping, but as we all know you can never assume something is simple in retail. 

Attached an image illustrating what I mean. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 1.06.01 PM.png

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies 3 (3)

Ron-Anderson
Shopify Partner
191 13 33

Hi @kjurbanwinery,

This appears to be a limitation in Shopify, as you typically can't adjust default settings on the checkout page. For example, I have seen a lot of people ask if it's possible to re-order the shipping options at checkout based on (for example) alphabetical order. Shopify's default is to list them from cheapest to most expensive, and you can't reset this order, even with an app. If two or more rates are the same price, they list them based on which ones were calculated/returned fastest.

You may want to reach out to Shopify support to verify for certain whether or not the delivery method (Ship/Pick up) can be adjusted. It's possible it can be done with a custom checkout.

Alternatively, if you're open to using a third-party solution, Intuitive Shipping lets you set up a local pickup option that appears on the final list of shipping options once the rates are calculated. And, because it's technically a 'free shipping' method, Shopify lists it at the top (as per my comment above). If you're interested in learning more, check out our setup guide here. And if you'd like more info about Intuitive Shipping, please feel free to book a live demo with one of our team members. Intuitive Shipping is free to install and use in Testing Mode so you can see if it's a good fit for you before activating your 14-day free trial.

Full disclosure: Shopify requires you to have their third-party Carrier-calculated Rates feature installed when using any third-party rate calculator, including Intuitive Shipping. This feature is USD $20/ month for those on the 'Basic' or 'Shopify' plan. If you change either of those plans to annual billing, Shopify will include the Carrier-calculated rates feature at no additional charge, and they'll knock 10% off your plan price. If you're on 'Advanced' or higher, the feature is already included.

Best regards,

Ron

Customer Experience Manager @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
NPSCURBSIDE
Visitor
2 0 0

I made a post about how to fix this if you want look up Local Pickup Only.

kjurbanwinery
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey There! 

Appreciate the post, we are still looking to ship items out, but we do about 70% of our sales for local pickup. Your solution looks great for your business, but we do need the ability to ship things out.