Manual Payment capture- will is still charge CC fee?

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi All!

I have a question about manual payment capture:
If I select this setting, if for some reason I have to cancel and order, will I still be charge credit card processing fees.
I have had to issue returns in the past, and I have noticed that the fees do not get refunded. (once was because it was marked as possible fraud, another because a customer ordered the same thing twice) If I choose this setting do I have the authorization period to modify or cancel an order without the risk of lost fees?

thanks all

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
405 51 66

Hi, @NobleMarket

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Great question!

You will not be charged any of the credit card processing fees if you do not capture payment for the order. 

Even though the card has been pre-authorized in the checkout, the payment is not officially processed until you click the ‘Collect payment’ button on the order. Please keep in mind that there is an authorization period for pre-authorized credit cards (it’s 7 days for Shopify Payments), and so the payment must be captured before the authorization period ends in order to collect the money for the order. 

Long story short, if you need to cancel the order prior to collecting payment, then no fees are charged or lost when doing so.

For more information about capturing payments, please see this Help Doc

Hope this makes sense! Let me know if you need any further clarification. 

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes