Maximum variants to a product

Highlighted
Excursionist
23 0 4

One for the hive.

My shop is for modellers, and they use a lot of different colour paints, both brushable and for air brushing.

My question is what is the maximum number of variants I can have for  product.

eg

I stock Vallejo paints in brushable and airbrushable varieties.

Each variety has 280 colours !

Is this possible  ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2684 190 426

Hi @Mad_Modeler,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

Natively you can add 3 different variant options for each product, so for example, size, color, material, etc. and each of those variants can have up to 100 different options. You can see where it says this in the Shopify guide about adding variants in the screenshot below and the guide here

19-07-tdihd-jpp8j

If you want to be able to add more than 100 variants your best bet would be to do so via an app from the Shopify App Store. There are three apps which sprung to my mind instantly for this and you can see them below: 

If you feel comfortable making code changes you could edit this yourself. There is an unsupported guide Shopify made for it here, but it is unsupported so because of that, if you don't feel comfortable making code changes and wanted to go this route, I would suggest reaching out to a Shopify Expert about some help with it. You can see the Shopify Expert directory here

Hope this helps! 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
23 0 4

None of these appear to solve my problem.

I simply want to list a product, and then have a dropdown menu (or equivalent) of all the colours available.

It would appear that I have to list them all separately as individual products in a collection.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2684 190 426

How you do this would really depend on what you want your store layout to be. 

You could list them each as individual products if you want or you could use one of the apps to add up to 280 variants for each product. If you wanted to list each one individually in a dropdown, that is also possible but as you mentioned to do it like that you would need to create them all as separate products and would more than likely not need one of the product variant apps I listed above. You can see the Shopify YouTube tutorial about adding variants below. It might shed some more light on the variant side of things for you. 

If you wanted to have more control and options over a dropdown menu, it could be worth looking into one of the dropdown menu apps from the Shopify App store, you can see some of my favorites below: 

But how you present it in your store really is up to you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
23 0 4

I've decided for clarity to go down the individual product route, that seems to be the way that competitors have addressed the same problem.

I think that less work is involved as this can be done with the product import function with links to the required images.

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2684 190 426

I'm wondering if you are importing products in with links if doing it via CSV might be best way to go about doing this. 

Shopify created a helpful guide about importing and exporting products which you can see here as well as a how to do it via a CSV file here. 

Hopefully, they help! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 10

@Nick wrote:

Hi @Mad_Modeler,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

Natively you can add 3 different variant options for each product, so for example, size, color, material, etc. and each of those variants can have up to 100 different options. You can see where it says this in the Shopify guide about adding variants in the screenshot below and the guide here

19-07-tdihd-jpp8j

If you want to be able to add more than 100 variants your best bet would be to do so via an app from the Shopify App Store. There are three apps which sprung to my mind instantly for this and you can see them below: 

If you feel comfortable making code changes you could edit this yourself. There is an unsupported guide Shopify made for it here, but it is unsupported so because of that, if you don't feel comfortable making code changes and wanted to go this route, I would suggest reaching out to a Shopify Expert about some help with it. You can see the Shopify Expert directory here

Hope this helps! 

All the best, Nick

@Nick I don't think that is accurate, you say that "you can have 3 different variant options for each product, so for example, size, color, material, etc. and each of those variants can have up to 100 different options". That implies a max of 300 but I think it's 100 in total across the variant options. I encountered a problem trying to add a product with 30 colours in 4 lengths (120 variants in total) and got a message that I'd exceeded the maximum. 100 is not many (for example ebay allows 250)...so I'm faced with having to split a product up in a confusing way (eg half the colours in each of 2 listings)  or pay for yet another app on a monthly subscription to add to the growing (and expensive) pile. Would Shopify please consider increasing this number because at the moment my ebay listings are more attractive to my customers than my Shopify ones!

0 Likes
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2684 190 426

Hi @RicketyRose,

For this one product has 100 variants max and these can be spread across the three options: 

0 Likes