Maxlength Checkout fields

Alberto_Penhos
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hi, 

I was wondering if there is a way to limit the character number that can typed in any checkout field, the main reason is to avoid long addresses.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10041 119 1877

Hey Alberto,

Currently there's no option in the Admin to let you limit the field lengths. 

I am curious - why does a long added cause a problem?

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Alberto_Penhos
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response, the thing is that sometimes here in Mexico there are some people that write the whole address in one field and when we make the shipping label automatically the address is truncated by the maxlength of the field in FedEx and that has caused some trouble so that's why I was wondering this and I can't figure out a way to avoid this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jesse_Straus
1 0 0

This is also an issue for FedEx labels. The address lines can only hold 30 characters yet Shopify allows infinite character input.

0 Likes
Kele_Nakamura
Shopify Partner
18 0 2

is there a solve for this issue, it seems pretty common.

0 Likes
Anindo
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

We at Multi Carrier Shipping label app truncate the length of the address and send it FedEx. Now, this may not be ideal as the truncated length may have important address info which is lost, however, some solution is better than none. Does this work?

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
vladdani
1 0 1

Hey Shopify team,

I believe truncating the address line is not the best solution. However, having the option to control the maxlength of the address line became important for any 3PL platform because they cannot properly print the label with 35+ symbols in one line.

Can you please propose the solution asap? We have this issue atm.