Merge Customers

alexxduvall
2 0 4

Also chiming in to ask for this feature. 

We have multiple duplicate accounts - and a lot of our customers ask us to pull up their purchase history, so this becomes really tedious. 

How duplicates normally happen for our store is that a customer will make a purchase in-store through our POS and give their name but decline to give their email - then they'll make a purchase on our website at a later date which associates their name with an email/phone number - but then we wind up with two customer profiles for them and two separate purchase histories, sometimes 3 for one customer: just name, name & email, name & phone #.

forbiddenfiber
1 0 2

I would also like to be able to merge customers.  An example of how duplicate customers are create is one of my customers paid with apple pay, which defaults to a different email address than the one her customer account is set up under.  So her newest order is now located under a different customer, and she can't look up her order history all in one place anymore.  How can I fix this for her?

makers18
Tourist
7 0 19

We continue to run into the same issue and our products are all custom, so it makes it a nightmare for us to be consistent with our customers.  Shopify claims it is too complex for them to develop, but it is done by others like Square and so helpful.  

0 Likes
Tough_Traveler
Tourist
5 0 4

On the downside, this is an ongoing annoyance that Shopify seems to have no interest in fixing.  On the upside, I saw your company name and, being really into fiber, went to your website and bookmarked it, so you got a new customer!

AdenaB
1 0 2

A more helpful workaround would be if you could edit the customer on a sale.  So if someone goes in and adds a new account to buy something and you realize it's the same person, to be able to go and amend the customer who actually bought it, then delete the duplicate (which then doesn't have a sale).  It's so annoying trying to clean it up and realizing that I can't even delete the misspelled one because it "has a sale attached to it".  Is this an option?

juliehtjb
1 0 1

I've tried editing the email address associated with four duplicate customer records and get an error "that email address has already been taken." So the work around to edit the email address doesn't work. How can I at least get the same address associated with all of the duplicate customer records?

begreen
2 0 2

Yeah, we have the same problem with duplicate customer accounts. Usually they simply use a different email address!

Shopify please provide this functionality! It should be possible to assign these duplicate customer profiles to another. This is really, really an important functionality for us merchants!

makers18
Tourist
7 0 19

We run into the same issue, so it keeps the accounts separated. Sometimes they just make an error like putting “.con” instead of “.com” and then there is nothing you can do. 
Definitely a basic function that Shopify needs to address and create.

Luxion_Inc_
Tourist
3 0 1

Chiming in to vote for this too. A MUCH needed feature.

dragonsgarden
1 0 1

I sell digital products and my customers love keeping everything in one place. Some customers have duplicate accounts and there is no way for me to let them have all in one place without merging. It is a crucial feature to have!