Merge two customer accounts into one

2 0 45

I have a customer who placed an order using email A, and then another order using email B. Now she has two different customer accounts.

She's contacted us asking if we can merge the account from email B into email A, that way she can see all her order history and reward points all in one place.

How do I go about doing this?

38 Likes
2 0 45

Thanks John,

Unfortunately when I try this all I get is the error

There was 1 error:

• Customer Email has already been taken

Any ideas?

7 Likes
Tourist
3 0 9

We are facing the same issue. In this case, the person ended up with 3 accounts due to mistyping an email address at checkout one time, and another the name was misspelled. When I tried the above resolution I got the same error as Michelle. Please advise, as this has affected her loyalty account as well.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 9

We are facing the same issue. In this case, the person ended up with 3 accounts due to mistyping an email address at checkout one time, and another the name was misspelled. When I tried the above resolution I got the same error as Michelle. Please advise, as this has affected her loyalty account as well. An option to select multiple accounts and merge them would be very useful across the board, as this happens often.

3 Likes
Tourist
3 0 9

Having same issue. Tried above solution with same result. Would be very helpful if we could select multiple account and have a merge option. Please advise.

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 21

I have the same problem.  One of our best customers used "@gail.com" instead of "@gmail.com" and set up two accounts.  Is there a way to merge both those accounts to the correct email address?

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
52 0 15

Same exact problem for me. I get the same error ("Customer Email has already been taken") when I try to update their email

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
52 0 15

Shopify Support has notified me that it is in fact impossible to change customer's email if the same email is associated to a diffent order. No resolution is on place as of today.

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 21

Yep, got a similar email today (07Sep2015).  My web dev guy came up with the solution to disable one of the accounts so the customer can no longer log in with the incorrect address.  It's not a good option, but right now seems to be the only one available.   

3 Likes
Tourist
8 0 3

Had the same thing today. Customer entered the wrong email and now has 2 accounts. We offer loyalty points, so it would be great if we can merge customer accounts.

2 Likes