Merge two customer accounts into one

1 0 1

Please fix this issue. It's crazy that this isn't possibel. We deal with this probably at least once a week with no solution for the customers.

1 Like
1 0 1

BUMP

1 Like
2 0 3

Hey everybody - this is not the solution we're looking for but at least it helps.

You can change the order email and uncheck the "update cutomer profile." you won't get the error and at least that one order will go through ok.

I then notify the customer of the issue.

Not what we want but it's something...

1 Like
1 0 2

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip. It worked for me:-)

Like you said, it is a partial fix, so I can at least resend the order confirmation and the shipping notice to the customers.

On another note, the fact that Shopify does not respond to their customers' many requests for fixing the issue is dissapointing, to say the least. What I find ironic is that they call themselves "gurus", while having very limited knowledge of database design. They must have structured the customer database around the email address instead of creating a unique customer identifier number. If the email address is used as an identifier, then there is no way to merge two customer records into one without actually deleting one customer account - which you can't do if it has any orders attached to it.

All in all, poor planning in data structure design. I've been a Shopify customer for a few months now. I like many of their features, themes, and the availability of the apps; however I find them very weak in the data functionality and report capabilities. This makes it difficult from the standpoint of running a business. Editing or merging customer accounts is a common business activity that should have been accounted for during design stage.

That's my two cents.... after dealing with several customers who accidentally misspelled their email addresses when placing orders in the last few days.

2 Likes
2 0 2

Would also like a solution to this.  We use the POS in our stores and have the problem of employees entering names in incorrectly or not realizing a customer is already in the database and re-entering them...customers can show up 3-5 different ways sometimes with different email addresses, spellings, etc.  It is super frustrating and very inefficient that we cannot merge and correct these accounts!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1658 48 167

Remember the forums are primarily user-to-user. So make a formal detailed feature request via email to support@shopify.com.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
2 Likes
Shopify Expert
3933 15 323

I made an App for this. It is premised on the following setup:

• WWW shop => aaa.myshopify.com
  • POS shop-1 => bbb.myshopify.com
  • POS shop-2 => ccc.myshopify.com

So you have a shop per POS, managing inventory per shop. This makes it easier to use external inventory services and for organizing. 

Any customers from orders at POS-X travel to POS-Y and WWW. Result is that the customer is present in all systems, based on the one email. If a customer buys online at WWW shop, the customer record is set in POS-X and POS-Y. If a created customer is new to the WWW shop, they get their invite to create a password. 

This eliminates double-data entry issues, and ensures customer marketing strategies can be built off of a decisive list. 

The App also polls for new customers that simply create accounts without buying anything and propagates them to all POS systems too. 

Just my 0.02 to show how you can make things better with Shopify with a little scripting.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
1 Like
Excursionist
12 0 7

Can this app premise then be used to separate out specific inventory from location to location? That has also been lacking but is a touted feature for Shopify. My company went with Shopify for this feature specifically as we have a second location opening but we've since learned that all our inventory essentially is stuck in one massive bucket. Is there coding that you can implement within this app to include multiple inventory buckets as designated by the locations of POS X and POS Y? If so- that would be absolutely incredible! 

One thing though- it isn't always about double data entry. Sometimes its about incorrectly input emails that need to be fixed, incorrectly spelled names of customers, multiple family members currently on separate accounts but need to be on one account, or the customer already has an account and staff add in another customer account for their name but don't add in an email for the second input. What can help with the merging of these types of accounts?

Also- you forgot to mention what the name of the app is that you developed for this. 

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1658 48 167

HunkyBill said,

Result is that the customer is present in all systems, based on the one email.

The concern people have is the workflow after a mistake is made, so how to do user merging seamlessly.

Does your app address this? 

multiple family members currently on separate accounts but need to be on one account, or the customer already has an account and staff add in another customer account for their name but don't add in an email for the second input.

So not just merging, but user canonicalization.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
1 Like
Shopify Expert
3933 15 323

This App is private like most I make. It is not suitable for general consumption lowest common denominator, easy to pick low fruit on the tree issues, hence it is not in App store. 

I made no claim it fixes borked records, my explanation was show how eliminating them in the first place results in cleaner lists. If you eliminate a problem, you do not need a solution for the problem.

So yes, you can safely carry on with your User list issues, excuse my interfering with your thread on problems. Over and out.  

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
1 Like