Merge two customer accounts into one

Shopify Partner
2 0 5

I can't imagine what a disaster this must be for folks who've been using Shopify for years. We're coming up on a year and our Customers section is going from messy to hot mess. Some folks have 4 or 5 profiles and after recently turning on Accounts for our website, we've got confused people reaching out every day.

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

I am feeling the same Sandra Barton.  I left BigCommerce to come to Shopify and have regretted it ever since!  We can't sync accounts between POS and online therefore, can't sync loyalty points, or even gift registration program.  WHAT A MESS!

2 Likes
1 0 2

I too would like to see a "merge customer", "merge duplicates" or "edit email address" functions. I just started using shopify a few months ago and can see how this could become a serious problem as we grow.

Customer Database Built Around Email or Unique Customer ID #?

Might I suggest (if it's not already the case in the back-end) that every customer be given a unique customer number in the customer database? Make it so that the customer number can't be changed. But the customer email and essentially entire record could be updated and changed. The actual customer doesn't need to see their customer #, but it's there to make the whole database more adaptive.

There was a program I was using in the past that had a similar problem (Infusionsoft i think, but can't remember exactly) where the whole database was built around a static email address. However, when the email address changed or was updated (as they often do) it forced the customer to create a duplicate account. Had their database been built around unique customer ID numbers and not email addresses, it would have been much more adaptive. This is database 101 stuff. I learned this using Microsoft Access in grade school in the 90s lol!

The unique customer # is also particularly helpful if you have multiple customers with the same name. For example 3 "John Smith's" buy your product

Other Suggested Improvements

• Can I also suggest improved filter searches for the customer list? I'd like to set a filter to search customers by city or state and not just country.
  • Allow for multiple email addresses under the same record. In the "customer email " field allow vendors to add a second customer email by simply separating with a comma.  For example, "bob@samplecompany.com, accounting@samplecompany.com"
  • The comma, colon or whatever character is used to separate the 2 email addresses, allows for order confirmations, and any correspondence to be CC'd to a boss, or other department.
  • I've used several more dated programs that allow you to send the same message, for the same customer, to up to 5 email address just by adding a character in between.

Shopify, I know you pay your gurus well (my friend's brother works for you as a guru), and even pay for a maid to clean their homes while they work. Stop wasting your customers' money on maids and other ridiculous employee perks. Get your customers some results!

2 Likes
1 0 3

I don’t understand how this is such a complicated issue. He should be basic simple actions a program like this should have already been implemented. I now have a customer that has purchased items and two totally different accounts and I can’t merge them. Why am I paying all this money for a program that can  not do this basic command.   It really baffles me and it really, really, really bothers me to the point where I’m probably going to go look for another software.  I mean you can use square and ring up items easily without having any of these problems. And it’s free! They are processing fees are actually cheaper. It is not the same as shopify , the only time it’s the same is when you pay the highest price bracket. If you pay good beginner or intermediate then you are paying more per transaction  if you were to use shopify.     And being that they’ve had this issue for many many years since 2013 that I can count back to. And they have not done anything about it really infuriates me. It’s true why don’t you stop paying for all the fancy things for the gurus while they can’t even set up a basic merge customers feature.   This is just so ridiculous! Almost 5 years and you can’t come up with a solution where there is probably be hundreds of people on here complaining about the same thing. Either you’re not reading the comments or you just don’t care! 

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
12 0 9

I can't believe this is still not available when so many people have been asking for it for so many years. We sell magazine subscriptions and books. I use tags on customer accounts to track expiry status etc. so we have made accounts mandatory but this means we are losing book sales. I tested what happened if acounts are optional and I often ended up with two accounts and of course once the customer has placed an order on each account I can't update the master record and delete the other.

All I need is the ability to copy over any orders to the nominated master record and delete the other record. Please could someone let me know if this is possible to do via the API as I will try and develop something.

2 Likes
1 0 2

Ya, this would be a great feature. Add it to the list Shopify!

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
31 0 8

+1, our company would also like a solution from Shopify in the admin panel itself, not a third party app to do it. We are looking into changing platforms and moving to BigCommerce for several reasons.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I literally made a forum account to vote for this.

+1 Can this please be resolved? Shopify!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I literally made a forum account to vote for this.

+1 Can this please be resolved? Shopify!

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 7

+1, our company is trying to implement a customer loyalty program.  While doing prep work to implement a third-party loyalty app from the marketplace, we discovered that 30%+ of our customer accounts are DUPLICATES.  We've had customers mis-type emails or mis-spell their names and this has created as many as 4-5 customer "records" for these customers.  There is currently NO WAY to edit and/or correct these duplicates.  There is no tool in Shopify, there is no app in the Marketplace and there is no manual way to fix duplicates.

I honestly can't believe Shopify doesn't have a solution for this and hasn't provided any informatoin to its users about why it would have such a gaping hole in basic functionality.  This is not a PCI compliance issue...although I've heard they may be hesitating to implement a solution because they are concerned about compliance-related confidentiality issues.  (Giving store owners the ability to edit customer info.)  Honestly, I only need to fix spelling errors in names and email addresses.  I don't need any access to credit card info, etc.  This issue is NOT related to customer accounts.  It's related to customer RECORDS which are pulled by Shopify from ORDERS.  I don't know if these customer records are then pulled into a customer database/table or if the info only lives in the order database/table.  Frankly I don't care.  I just need to be able to edit and clean up all of these duplicates.  Until this is fixed, I can't implement a customer loyalty program...which is a BIG bummer for our business because our customers are asking for it and my only answer to them is that our software is such a mess we can't do it right now.  (Can you tell I'm frustrated?)  :)

Thanks!

1 Like