Merging customer accounts

Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 48
This critical facility has been requested for at least 7 YEARS!!! How much F’ing feedback and “sharing” within Shopify do you need before you stop scratching your backsides and actually do something!
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 3

tenorBeen following this thread for years.....it's getting good

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
55 0 87

@Nick Simon is right. You really shouldn't need any more than looking properly at the 14 or so threads that have been posted here for 7 years. And suggesting Shopify is taking this seriously is just patronising as it clearly isn't. However, I will try and summarise why this is so important:

• I have probably about 3% duplicate accounts - some with 3 accounts
  • Affected customers cannot see their full order history
  • Customers cannot understand why I can't do this - this affects my credibility
  • I cannot offer loyalty bonuses - this affects my sales
  • I've had to disable self- registration as this exacerbates the problem - this loses me sales
  • I've had to force some products to be account only - this loses me sales
  • I've sent subscription products to duplicate customers  - this loses me money
  • I've wasted hundreds of hours rationalising accounts and orders to identify duplicates - this loses me money
  • I cannot consider using the new subscription facilities unless I can merge duplicates
  • I'm wasting time and money evaluating alternative e-commerce providers solely because of this issue.
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 48

@JohnC is totally correct here.  This stupid problem causes us no end of problems, especially with the loyalty system incorrectly crediting the "wrong" account with an incorrect email address.  
What's really dumb is that @Nick and others in Shopify don't seem to realise that they must have many millions of "orphan" accounts floating around in their databases that will eventually drag down their systems and cost them a fortune in unnecessary storage and processing facilities they would not need if they had designed their database structure correctly in the first place.

Anyone with any brains doing technical due diligence on Shopify would red-flag this and that would REALLY hurt Tobias Lütke's pocket...

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 4

This says it all right here! Excellent response and my EXACT problem. Why can’t this be fixed it seems like such a very small issue to fix, but as I’ve come to figure out after reading the thread that we all have been waiting on this solution for over seven years. You’d think with that “fancy new” POS update that this issue could be resolved in no time, but yet here we ALL are still waiting. 

Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 18

@Nick - Again, we know it is part of your job to monitor and post in these forums.  It's not personal. 

But I agree with @JohnC that it is incredibly patronizing at this point to imply that we need to keep explaining this issue for Shopify to see that there is a  problem after seven years of numerous long threads have made the same points time and time and time again.  

And I just had yet ANOTHER customer accidentally place an order today without using their account or their email and now that customer can not have their order history in one spot.  And I cannot fix it for them without a lot of embarrassing and unnecessary inconveniences to them. 

Another example to toss down the rabbit hole of this inexplicable situation.

Highlighted
2 0 6

I have called and emailed a few times over the last few years trying to explain why this is very critical to fix. It is easy to see how badly this needs to be fixed by all of the people sharing their frustration here. After all of these years, Shopify needs to make this a priority and stop putting it off. 

Especially at a time like now where they want to totally change the POS and try to force people into spending an additional $80 PER LOCATION for extra basic features that should be updated on the app for free.

The platform is losing value by not fixing something this major and looking for ways to maximize how much money they can squeeze while ignoring important feedback.

Eventually, people will get fed up and leave. 

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 12
Ya, seriously, you have got to have enough use cases already between the
threads and seven years of people requesting it.

My latest is a customer that now has a new email address. Came back,
couldn't figure out how to change it, so just ordered it under a
customer record with her new email and just re-entered all of her details.

Then she asked for me to possibly merge the two accounts. I can't. I
offered to delete the old one and if she needed her previous orders for
her records, I can always print them out for her before I disable the
old account.

How this was not something built in before it's first official release,
I'll never understand.

Highlighted
1 0 3

We are in the process of migrating over from magento to Shopify Plus. Luckily I found out about this massive hole in functionality...  Thanks for this thread.. looks like we are not going to go ahead. Shopify isn’t fully built yet. 

Highlighted
Pathfinder
134 0 36

This pretty much sums up the situation to a T. 

However, I will try and summarise why this is so important:

• I have probably about 3% duplicate accounts - some with 3 accounts
  • Affected customers cannot see their full order history
  • Customers cannot understand why I can't do this - this affects my credibility
  • I cannot offer loyalty bonuses - this affects my sales
  • I've had to disable self- registration as this exacerbates the problem - this loses me sales
  • I've had to force some products to be account only - this loses me sales
  • I've sent subscription products to duplicate customers  - this loses me money
  • I've wasted hundreds of hours rationalising accounts and orders to identify duplicates - this loses me money
  • I cannot consider using the new subscription facilities unless I can merge duplicates
  • I'm wasting time and money evaluating alternative e-commerce providers solely because of this issue.
Spice. Sweet. Savory. Hot.