Merging customer accounts

Highlighted
Excursionist
15 0 41
How much evidence do you need? Try 6 plus years of fee-paying customer complaints. It’s both amazing and appalling that it takes you this long to stop scratching your backsides and to contemplate actually doing something…
5 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 14

Thanks for checking back in, Nick.  I, for one, know that you are not the decision-maker preventing this feature from being added and I'm sure it's frustrating to be in a position of responding to our frustration.

As mentioned a few months ago, it would be appreciated if someone who receives this information from you could give us an explanation of why this feature isn't available. I'm sure there is one.  And my guess is there is something in the Shopify code that makes this feature extremely difficult without a major re-write.  Otherwise, I see no reason it wouldn't have been added by now.  But I'm just guessing.

Given the high level of customer frustration and exasperation in this, and all the other, threads over the years, perhaps a request for explanation could also be made since is doubtful this (common sense) feature is actually coming anytime soon.

Thanks.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 5

+1 on this feature

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 10

Just wanted to follow up on the timeline for implementing this feature to merge customers and check for duplicates. Thanks!

4 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 6

i would appreciate a timeline, too. 

i have repeat customers who get special treatment once they reach vip status. but they only reach vip status after a certain # of repeat orders. if their orders are scattered between 5 email addresses and 2 phone #s (maybe due to getting married/changing names, or using work vs personal info), then they don't reach vip status. 

not to mention that the customer can't look up their full order history in one place....

5 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 11

I have run into yet another reason why this feature is so badly needed.

I have a customer that has one account that is used through our website, and another that is used in store accessed through our POS system. (this is not his preference, its just how things have played out) The email address associated with his credit card / POS account is incorrect. When I try to correct the email address, it won't let me because it says there is already an existing account with that email address!

It is absurd that I can't fix this.

5 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 12

For real...

I'm currently dealing with an issue where I have the same customer with two different accounts on slightly different email addresses. When he goes in to place an order on the account he actually WANTS to be logged into, it alway reverts to his other email address during checkout -- and then the order gets attached to the email address he doesn't want to receive confirmations/invoices at. It's very frustrating and it can easily be remedied with a simple customer MERGE feature. Most of your competition (including the cart I moved away from) have this feature and it's completely absurd that Shopify does not.

7 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
41 0 61

I'm considering starting a thread to list competitor systems that do offer customer merge. That with a few other requirements will help me decide to move as it's clearly never going to be solved anytime soon. Nick/Shopify - please highlight these threads to all on the exec board: https://investors.shopify.com/Governance/Board-of-Directors/default.aspx

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 5
I am still waiting for Shopify to fix this problem, but there is a workaround to your specific problem with the wrong e-mail address on the account.
Shopify only permits one e-mail address to be linked to one client, so ... if the e-mail address is on the wrong client record, write down the 2 x e-mail addresses on the 2 client records and then delete them from both clients. Once it has been deleted, you can type in the correct e-mail address on the correct client record and you can decide if you want to leave the e-mail on the other client record blank or put the old/wrong e-mail address on that one.
FYI ... we now use the Revamp CRM App to capture our full client records. It allows us to identify multiple purchases by the same client and merge them together into a single client record on Revamp CRM. I can now look at Revamp CRM and see who my Top Clients really are and add notes to their file ... and Revamp CRM updates in Real Time.
2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 5

Will this work for physical addresses, too?

That is where "my" issue is.... customers do not have the ability to change their PHYSICAL address or phone numbers, either. 

Shopify has partners with GREAT apps... which are losing money from me because I will NOT add anymore apps until Shopify gets off their booty and fixes this request from SEVERAL clients for years.

2 Likes