Merging customer accounts

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 13
I agree. 7 years of ignoring customer requests. Not a good way of running a company. Such a shame when they are adding things which are really no where near as important as this
6 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 5

@Ohmz wrote:
I agree. 7 years of ignoring customer requests. Not a good way of running a company. Such a shame when they are adding things which are really no where near as important as this

I so agree with this sentiment! We didn’t need a new way to send ugly marketing emails. There are other apps that do this much better and are much more enticing to the customer. What we do need are ways to keep our data clean. I’ll take merging accounts and archiving retired products over half-baked marketing additions any time. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
32 0 45

I've started adding comments to any ecommerce review sites including adding links to threads such as these. Perhaps a bit of negative publicity and a dent in the ratings may make shopify (and Lynsey Thornton VP of UX / GM of Core Product at Shopify - https://www.linkedin.com/in/lynseythornton/ ) do something about this.

John

5 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5

My two biggest pet peaves are this issue of not being able to merge customers and the issue where Shopify doesn't give you a way to track product dimensions.

Shopify does a great job on so many things, but these are two vital pieces of running a business and I'm shocked that Shopify hasn't gotten this one right yet.

Shopify, please listen to these requests. Your customers are telling you how to make you a more attractive option compared to your competitors and it appears that your community is quite frustrated about this not being addressed after so many years.

5 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

All I can say is WOW!

I, too, am not happy that after years of requests to have accounts either have the ability to merge or even let a registered customer change their information such as phone/email/address. 

Through my experience today I have found that Shopify does not allow a customer to even 'change' their information - as well as - one email address per customer physical address (which neither cannot be changed by the customer). After a lengthy chat with customer support (because Shopify does not have phone customer support any longer) it was recommended to me to delete the customer (which would remove their purchase history and skew with accounting and inventory numbers) and have the customer set up a new account - or - I can just keep writing down the customer orders and creating one manually. For each and every order this customer makes. This takes a lot of time and I have been willing to do anything it takes to make my customers happy - but this is ridiculous! 

Customers should have the ability to change their personal information. People do move, get new phone numbers or change email addresses.

With the money that Shopify makes from not only their customers who utilize them for inventory tracking - they make money from other developers as well. They should be able to hire a more outstanding IT personnel to fix these issues!

We will leave out the fact that their doing away with the phone customer service and making it strictly chat or this forum - takes a lot of time from us because their chat personnel is very slow in response. I just spent an hour chatting - when a less than 5 minute call would have sufficed - to get absolutely NO resolution to my issue.

I am seriously considering on switching to another platform. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 25

Hi Nick,

It has been about 2 months since you last acknowledge this issue has existed for 7 years (2013) without any apparent effort at a correction from Shopify. 

Could you be so kind as to acknowledge this issue still exists with a reply that there's been no known correction by shopify since it was first reported as an issue 7 years ago (2013 on another shopify community thread)? 

I'm sorry your July 1 acknowledgement of the situation has gotten 0 likes as it is not your fault obviously, but it would be nice to know someone at Shopify hasn't forgotten about this issue again. 

Much Thanks,

Dan

PS If you'd like that 2013 thread on this same issue, let me know and I can search out the link.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3141 237 517

Hi @DeesBlings & @Daniel_Kaplan,

Thanks for your feedback. There is no update yet, and any feedback shared is being continuously added to the request. The request has been logged correctly, and when we have more detail to share we will follow-up in this topic.

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

I just had a customer message me and ask if I could add the orders he has placed in store through our POS to those he has placed on line through the website. I went in and saw he has two separate accounts, with no way to combine them.

I came across this thread. It feels hopeless after everything I've read here, but I'll go ahead and add my voice to the choir. Really bizarre that this isn't something currently supported.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
32 0 45
1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3141 237 517

Thanks for your feedback and example of how this directly affects your store @RagtagChris. I have added this scenario as an example, to the feedback already collected about this feature request. 

Thank you also @JohnC. I can assure you this has been acknowledged and the feedback is given to the team! 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes