Merging customers within Shopify

Highlighted
2 0 3

The problem is not really the inability to to merge customers.

The origin of this issue is customers repeatedly having to enter their email and other order information. 

Shopify should use best practices set forth by eCommerce leaders (Amazon, Zappos, etc.) and remember the user until they explicitly sign out.

It would be amazing if the site could also remember the customers credit cards as well. It is a feature native to Stripe and just not implemented on the Shopify side.

As my store is only a few weeks old, I feel the only actual solution may be to move away from Shopify on to a platform like Magento or Bigcommerce that do support these use cases.  

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

I have clients with multiple accounts due to email but also several because they have used different credit cards.  One CC has as a middle initial on it and one doesn't so Shopify creates a new client.

How is this not a standard part of the software?  Even my online appointment booking software allows me to combine clients, even families under one name.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 20

This is not a viable solution.  Shopify needs to fix this issue ASAP.  We are beginning to check into the viability of moving our business to Shopify's competitor unless this can be fixed.

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 20

Crazy..

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5

This is maddening! I have the same issue. Sure wish I could merge two accounts, and some sort of prompt came up in Shopify to prevent them from accidentally setting up a new account every time.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
166 2 136

Shopify's inability to edit/change stuff is a huge weakness. Why doesn't Shopify understand that:

- Customers forget they've signed up to your newsletter

- Customers want to add past orders to their account

- Customers change their mind

- Customers don't care about POS/platform limitations

Shopify's workaround of deleting/re-entering breaks integrations with things like loyalty/points apps and automated email drip campaigns. It's 2019, we need data flexibility period.

There are so many data flexibility threads like this one that it's frankly embarrassing sorry.

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5

Absolutely RIDICULOUS! So many customers that mistype their email address and then cant get an update on their order progress. I can rectify this in all other mailing and online store software but not on shopify? There should be a simple merge customers feature. Get with it Shopify!!! This needs to be rectified as fast as possible. Completely throws all customer reporting data as well let alone the inconvenience for both the customer AND the store owner.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Totally agree! This is a critical feature. Please fix!

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 2
Can we please get this function added?
2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 28

I agree Shopify definitely needs a customer merge option that merges the orders under the customers together.

1. The merge feature should allow both customer and customer registered (ie with customer login/password) accounts to be merged,
  2. The merge feature should ask the merchant which of the two existing email addresses they want the new merged account to use,
  3. The merge feature should ask the merchant which of the two existing email addresses they want all the orders to be updated to OR leave all orders under their existing email addresses.
  4. The merge feature should warn the merchant if they choose to merge the two customer records under the email of the non-registered customer account. (IE that they will have to send out an invitation to the customer to make the new merged customer account a registered customer account.
1 Like