Merging orders for a specific customer

Hi all!

I'm looking for a solution to merge a particular customers' orders in order to consolidate shipping. Heres' the scenario:

A customer has a subscription for a group of products ("box") that they get monthly. If this customer orders something additional (either same day or let's say within a week), it would be great to combine these orders so that they can both be shipped in the same box, saving costs for the customer and for the merchant.

I can't realyl find an app to do this, and the Shopify Scripts and/or Flow doesn't seem to give a solution for this (the merchant is a Shopify Plus member).

Thank you for any help!! 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
518 33 72

Hey, there. 

This is Dallas from the Social Care Team here at Shopify. 

That is actually a great question. When it comes to orders there isn't a way for you to combine more than one together. All orders have specific order numbers that relate to each of them so it would mess up some internal data and other bits of reference on the back end of your site. 

With that being said, however, I may have come up with a workaround for you that would work. Once the multiple orders have been Placed by your customer you can go under Orders > Draft Orders in your Store Admin and click Create Order to make a combined order of what you are wanting.

Once you have created the duplicate orders into one you will be able to make a shipping label so that you can send all of the products out as one package rather than making multiple shipments to the same location. 

Worried about inventory levels? After you have created this draft order, made shipping labels and received a tracking number you can put the tracking number into your original orders, cancel the fulfillment and delete the draft order. That way your customer will still have a reference for where their items are on their postal journey and you won't have any inventory discrepancies. 

I hope that helps to answer your question. If you would like more assistance or need more help with this let me know by replying to this forum. I am more than happy to help. 

All the best, 
Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for the help! I'll look into this but this is too manual to do. It means that I have to manually create orders and then delete the originals all the while initially identifying that this is a mulptiple order by the same customer (sometimes days/weeks apart).

So there isn't a way to automate it? Are there any apps that could do this? I saw that BOLD once had something like this, but no longer does.. 

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
518 33 72

Hey, there. 

I completely understand what you mean! Unfortunatley there isn't anything in place for this at the moment. 

Keep an eye open, however, because new apps are being added to the store all the time. 

Happy Holidays, 

Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
1 0 0

I sort of used this technique.  I created a draft order, combining two orders to the same customer (she had incorrectly marked one of the orders as "in store pickup").  I had to further mark the order as paid, and when I created the shipping label, it automatically fulfilled the order.  So now I have the combined order (with the tracking #), plus the two unfulfilled orders.  I'll probably just leave the orders as unfulfilled (I can manually correct inventory if needed).  I don't know if mine works a little differently because of the version of Shopify I use (the 'Lite' version).  So I think I accomplished what I needed to and don't think it will mess anything up too much, but it didn't work exactly as shown here.

0 Likes
1 0 0

You say that once I have created the duplicate order I can create the shipping label? Should I mark it as paid, pending, or pay with card? I don't have the option the print the label right away. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 3

I create a shipping label for one of them, then just manually fill the other with the tracking number from the first and send 2 packing lists.  the other way just seems a bit to manual for me and leave the chance of screwing up inventory.  

0 Likes
1 0 0

This is completely inefficient and unscalable. I'm shocked there isn't a solution for this. Especially for merchants that work at high volumes. I'm using Clickfunnels to create orders and send them over to Shopify. If someone opts for an order bump then it comes as a separate order. There is no way at the scale we want to work to manually combine orders and then delete orders all day so our fulfillment partner can ship out with the correct labels. 

0 Likes