Meta description for collection

Highlighted
5 0 0

Is it a good idea to have own meta description instead of the default description which is showing for example:

in the google search, the meta description is like this:

Lamps & Light. Candlestick, Yellow. Glass Candlestick $19.95. Light light $28.95........

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
303 0 41

Hi, Joe!

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify. ?

Yes, I would recommend you change your meta descriptions to make them more user-friendly. You should make sure they include important keywords that your potential customers are likely to search for but you should also be looking for complete sentence structure to make it easy and comfortable for people to read in Google search results. 

Check out the Google Keyword Planner to help you decide what to include in your meta description. 

I used the meta description you provided as an example and did a Google search for, 'Glass Candlestick'. This was the number one search result: 

As you can see, it's easy to read, descriptive and inviting. If I was in the market for this type of product, I wouldn't hesitate to click on this listing. 

Check out our guide to Improving search engine optimization (SEO). It's a tricky science but this guide should point you in the right direction.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria, Social Care Guru, Shopify
1 Like
5 0 0

Thanks Aria!

0 Likes

Hi Joe! Maggie, a Shopify Partner here :)

I agree with Aria - it's a good practice to define your own meta descriptions for collections, as they also show in the search results [also remember that Google has recently made the changes to the snippet length again - it's no longer 320 characters long - read more].

You also have to pay attention to what type of keywords you pick for your content [not all are the same!] - some are general [used by people doing a research], some informational [used by those wanting to learn more about the product before they decide to buy], and then some are transactional [used by those who already decided what they want, and now are ready to buy]. Each of these stages is characterized by different keywords.

In order for you to bring the most relevant traffic that also converts into sales, you need to target the transactional keywords [in your website content/ad copy]. 

Before you start working on the traffic, make sure to run a thorough keyword analysis. Keyword research is vital in SEO and people often overlook this step. But that's the only way to discover what your customers are looking for and how to get found in the right searches. That’s also a great way to improve your Google rank.

Any keyword research tool is good, but you simply have to apply the right strategy to find the best performing keywords to help you get to the top.

You have to know which keywords to pick to generate highly relevant traffic, while not competing with millions of other brands. There’s no point for you to compete with Amazon, Etsy or ASOS if they are using the same keywords.

What can you do instead? Can you still get to the top?

Yes - with the right keywords.

You see - not all keywords are equal. Just because a phrase gets thousands of monthly searches, it doesn’t mean you will get all that traffic.

Quite contrary - the more popular the keyword, the more websites are using it, and hence the more results are inGoogle!

For example, a hyper-popular “men’s shoes” keyword, while getting 201,000 monthly searches, also generates 892 million results on Google - WOW! Now that’s a keyword you wouldn’t want to use!

At Rock Paper Copy, our ecommerceexpertsunderstand how the search works. We know which keywords to pick to generate highly relevant traffic, while not competing with millions of other brands.

That’s why the keywords you will receive in your ‘SEO Keyword Explore’ package arethe most relevant to your niche,andoptimized to bring you the traffic that converts.

Why our keyword research is different?

While the majority of the SEO experts use standard keyword research tools, such as Google keyword planner, KW Finder or Uber Suggest, we dig a little deeper.

We take one step further and explore the discussion boards, online chats and shopping platforms to find the phrases people really usewhen talking about the products. This allows us to pick those harder to find keywords used by your customers, yet not targeted by your competitors.

That’s how Rock Paper Copy’s keyword explore can help you outsmart the competition and race up to the top!

Experience the RPC difference - invest in your success today: http://bit.ly/KeywordExplore

Boost your Google rank in 10 days with Complete SEO: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/seo/
0 Likes
51 0 0

Thanks that is so true

0 Likes