Migrate from Hostgator to Shopify - keep email

Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi guys...

I'm moving from HostGator (OpenCart) to Shopify... I understand the whole DNS thing, but I'm struggling with my email strategy. :/

I currently have my emails going through HostGator and then POP'ing into Gmail... if I point my domain at Shopify, I lose the Hostgator mailservers and this whole system breaks down... right???

I can afford to keep my HostGator hosting, I have 6 domains on it (and ALL their email accounts, so I'm not dying to change anything just yet)... but I'm not sure if this is possible, straddling between Shopify and HostGator?

Or do I need to buy GSuite for the Shopify site?

I have a running business, so I can't afford trial-and-error with transactional emails, customer service, etc... what's the path of least resistance in this scenario? What are my options?

Thanks for your time... this is giving me nightmares, lol! :D

P.S. My domain is registered at Cosmotown, they don't provide email services.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 164

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

Your request can be done without investing in G-Suite for the Shopify site. With a third party domain provider, Shopify will host your website, and have another third-party provider host your email. Knowing that you are using Cosmotown as your domain provider, you may want to consult them with the following instructions. That being said, by following the steps below, you shall be able to have HostGator continuing hosting your email while the domain you have from Cosmotown is pointing at Shopify.

In order to make your request happen, you will need to modify your DNS settings from Cosmotown. The key here is adding additional Nameservers along with a new A record and a new MX record. 

Under Nameserver, you will find Shopify Nameservers already updated in this section. 

Leave the Shopify Nameservers as they are. Just below them, add your Hostgator Nameservers, which you would have received in your cPanel details email. In the end, you should in total have 4 Nameservers: 2 belong to Shopify, and 2 belong to your Hostgator Nameservers.

Under records, you will need to add an additional A and an MX record.

With A record, you will need to add the following details.
Name: mail.yourdomain.com (in place of "yourdomain.com", it will be the domain name of your store)
Points To: your Hostgator IP address, which you can find in the Account Information/Stats panel of cPanel on your Hostgator dashboard.
Custom TTL To: 14400

With MX record, you will need to add the following details.
Name: @ or yourdomain.com (the domain name of your store)
Points To: mail.yourdomain.com (again, in place of "yourdomain.com", it will be the domain name of your store)
Priority: 0 (zero)
Custom TTL To: 14400

Once finished with all the edits, click on "Save". Then you can go ahead and test with a test email. If you have questions about your Hostgator IP or anything related to the domain settings, please contact Hostgator support. With the DNS settings, you may also want to reach out to Cosmotown support. Lastly, if you have any further questions, feel free to visit how to point my domain to HostGator when using DNS elsewhere, you will need the instructions under "How to Point Your Domain to HostGator for Email".

I truly hope this setup will end your nightmares and save you the money on signing up with G-Suite. If there’s anything else I can help you out with, please don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d be happy to help out! 

All the best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

This is by far the best reply I've read yet, great job Jason... very informed, I appreciate it! :D

As I get into actual propagation though, I'm starting to hit other walls... I just read that Shopify doesn't offer a nameserver for 3rd party domains (only Shopify hosted domains)... this is kinda confusing me now, I'm used to entering Nameservers for this part.

So if I change the A Record at Cosmotown, Shopify should update my Nameservers (at Cosmotown)... yes?

Do I need to delete the old Records from HostGator?

I just can't quite grasp all the moving parts here, since I'm migrating from an old (active) hosting account... if I make changes in Cosmotown, is that all I need to do to point the domain to Shopify?

Here's my setup at Cosmotown (it may help others to visualize it):

-----------------------------------

A(HOST or A Record( Example: xyz.com ))

mydomain.com / 23.227.38.32 (shopify IP) / 14400

mail.mydomain.com / 192.185.xxx.xx  / 14400

MX(MX Record(Used for Mail. Example: mx1 or leave blank ))

0 / mail.mydomain.com / 14400

CNAME(CNAME Record( Example: ns1.yournamesystem.com ))

www.mydomain.com / shops.myshopify.com / 14400

-----------------------------------

I think I got it... I'm just not certain what happens over at HostGator now... does the Cosmotown A Record trump > the HostGator A Record? We're still using HostGator Nameservers (their primary method of propagation), so I assume that creates a conflict... but I don't wanna go deleting a bunch of zones without being sure. :D

I'm trying to avoid taking a week to propagate, with BlackFriday right around the corner. :)

Anyway, thank you for the excellent insight... this server stuff always trips me up every 5 years or so!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 164

Hi, there.

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback. Glad to assist!

My understanding with the Nameservers is that since you are using Cosmotown as the third-party provider, the Nameservers should not be an issue with Shopify. You are correct that once you've updated the A records in Cosmotown, the Nameservers would be updated accordingly. Leaving them as what they are and adding on the Hostgator one, then you should be golden. If ever concerned, I recommend you reach out to Cosmotown support right away, so they can take a look for you.  

If you have some old Hostgator A records on there, it may be worthwhile to remove them. This part I suggest you contacting Hostgator support just to ensure that there will be no impact on removing the old A records there. 

The basic logic behind this is that Cosmotown is hosting your domain. The website part is connecting/pointing to Shopify (A record and C NAME) and the email hosting part is connecting/pointing to Hostgator (A record, MX record, and Nameservers). As long as you have all the records pointing at the right direction, once the domain finished propagating, please try out a test email and check on your store just to make sure everything works well. This is especially important since Black Friday/Cyber Monday is just right around the corner.

Based on the records you have provided, your domain should be ready to go. In this case, if you do face any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to Hostgator and Cosmotown support. They will be able to guide you through the process if needed.

Back to your last question, Cosmotown's A records should have two sets (one from Shopify and one from Hostgator, which you have already. Nicely done!). It isn't much so that Cosmotown's trumping over, but it is your domain provider. Hostgator's A record is only there to communicate email hosting information with Cosmotown, so nothing breaks in between. 

Keep me posted on how it all works out. Wishing you an amazing success on Black Friday/Cyber Monday!

Best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello there,

I hope that the following Information helpful with you guys.

The Google provides a long list of Data migration service. You can find it by searching Opencart to Shopify Migration, do the same with other cart tuye.

Then find a good one

download their module, unzip and upload to opencart root folder by FTP

Go to their migration page, fill cart URL, Shopify URL and API

Run

Then your data will be automatically moved to Shopify accurately and quickly.

It can be used by any users, even you don't know anything technical or programming.

Goodluck and hope you find a good solution!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Did you ever hear back on this?? Im kind of in the same situation :/ 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank u for this response, I'm having similar issues!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Jason, 

Love your detailed reply on this!

However, if we do what you suggested, will it mess up the default SSL certificate provided by Shopify?

I'm asking because I understand SSL shouldn't have more than 1 A record ... 

Is that the case? How do we fix that then?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

0 Likes