Migration to Shopify and Google Sitemaps

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 4

I am currently migrating from Volusion to Shopify.

According to Google best practices for changing URL path structure, you should provide two sitemaps to Google when making site changes - one with the old URLs (that are being redirected via 301s) and one with the new URLs.

However, I can't find anyway to create an XML file on my domain now that it is on Shopify.  Shopify generates the one sitemap which, from my understanding, cannot be altered.

I have 301 redirects setup but I can't see any way of coninuing to submit those old 301 redirected URLs now that my domain is on Shopify.

Has anyone encountered this problem or have any advice/best practices?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
34 0 2

Hello vittiegrocer,

To get an XML file on Shopify, you can quickly get one by going to your website with /sitemap.xml at the end, for example 'yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml' or 'yourwebsite.myshopify.com/sitemap.xml'. Here's a guide we have set up on how to get that:

https://help.shopify.com/manual/using-themes/find-site-map#find-your-sitemap

I sincerely hope this helps, have a great day!

William

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
8 0 4

Hi Vittiegrocer, 

I hope you were able to figure out how to submit your old and new XML sitemaps to Google!

If you're intersted in acquiring an additional sitemap for SEO purposes, I suggest taking a look at this app: https://apps.shopify.com/sitemap-builder?ref=adolab

Sitemap Builder generates an HTML sitemap for your Shopify store in a couple mintues and is really great for increasing your presence on search results. By allowing Google to crawl and index your HTML sitemap, this app can potentially boost your ranking.

Cheers! 

Shopify Experts - Custom Shopify App Development, Theme Design, and Store Setup
0 Likes
Highlighted

@vittiegrocer how'd your migration go? Happy you're on Shopify now? I'm gonna chime in here with a solution in case anyone else has the same issue. I'm a Shopify SEO consultant and this is the process I use for every client who migrates to Shopify. 

First and foremost, it's true that Google recommends submitting two sitemaps when moving a site with URL changes: one containing the old URLs and another containing the new URLs. According to Google, doing so helps their crawlers "discover the redirects from the old URLs to the new URLs, and facilitates the site move."

Shopify automatically generates the main XML sitemap at yourstore.com/sitemap.xml that contains all the new URLs (but you knew that). Here are Google's instructions on how to submit an XML sitemap. (NOTE: At a minimum, everyone who owns a Shopify store should submit this sitemap to Google Search Console. Otherwise you're essentially leaving it up to Google to find all your important products, collections, pages, blog posts, etc.) 

But in order to submit the old URLs, there are a few additional steps required:

1. Get a list of all the old URLs.
  2. Use an XML sitemap generator to transform that list into an XML sitemap. I'm a huge fan of Sitebulb for SEO audits and it has an XML sitemap generator built in.
  3. Go to Settings > Files and upload the .xml file to your Shopify store. Make sure the filename is something other than sitemap.xml as this is where your main sitemap already lives.
  4. Copy the URL that Shopify creates for the file. It should begin with https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/ and end with something like /old_magento_sitemap.xml?409
  5. Go to Online Store > Navigation > URL Redirects and create a redirect from /old_magento_sitemap.xml (or whatever your file is named) >>> the full URL that you copied in step 4. This effectively makes the old sitemap accessible on your primary domain.
  6. Submit this additional sitemap to Google. You may have to resubmit it a few times. Once the status says "Success" you're all set! 

Now Google will be able to crawl the new Shopify URLs and the old URLs. When it crawls the old URLs, it'll hit all of the redirects you created from old URLs >>> new URLs (you created redirects, right?!). These redirects will help Google digest the URL changes more efficiently, which will help minimize the period of time you experience keyword ranking volatility. 

Hope this helps! 

Kevin Wallner // SEO & Analytics Expert
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
- Ready to accelerate your SEO growth? Let's chat!
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, 

not sure if this method works, since after a few weeks after the submission, google console still giving me the status "couldn't fetch".

any ideas on how to check if the sitemap is getting read by google?

0 Likes