More consumer protection needed

Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 3

I purchased several "Black Friday" sale items from various Shopify stores on Facebook. I did not receive the items that I purchased. Instead I got useless items, such as a plastic magnifying lens (three times).  I understand that Shopify gets a percentage of all sales. Should it not do more to protect the consumer? Google, for example, has a list of sites that are not safe to visit. Should Shopify not keep a list of fraudulent stores to protect its own brand and to protect the consumer?

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2547 179 396

Hi @AwareWare,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Sorry to hear that you didn't receive the items which you ordered. There are systems and steps set up for you to take in instances such as this to either look at getting the product you did order or your money back if you never received the product you ordered. A member of our team wrote a Community post going through the steps for this here

Fraudulent stores are something Shopify takes very seriously and towards the bottom of the link above, there is a section for you to report a store which you think might be fraudulent. This will go directly to the team who investigate stores who are acting fraudulently or not being run properly

Something to note is that Shopify doesn't get involved in the day to day business of any stores on the platform. Shopify also doesn't receive a percentage of any sales made by any of the stores on the platform. Store owners do pay fees to Shopify for their plans and that those using Shopify Payments as their gateway will pay credit card fees, which is commonplace for gateways to do

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to ask any other questions should you have any. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes