More than three Option in Shopify store

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

One of our shopify client sells bathtub products. Most of the bathtub products have more than 3 options

We know that using shopify app, we can list as much as options in the store

Question is Does the default shopify store has the feature to list more than 3 option in a store?

Please advise

Intellect Outsource: Elevate Your Shopify Store! Experts in Product Data Entry, Bulk Uploads, and Customer Support. Boost Your eCommerce Success with Us!
Replies 27 (27)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Good question. It is only possible for a product in Shopify to have 3 variant options natively. As you mentioned also, to have more than 3 variant options for a product you would need the help of a third party app from the Shopify app store. Shopify has a very helpful guide going through all of this in detail which you can find here

Cheers, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Finest-Baits
Visitor
1 0 8

Almost 5 years later and there is still no option to have more than 3 variants..? Why is this such a big problem? anyone found a way to increase this in the hard code or something? There must be a possibility to do this as the app that fix this are able to do this.. Please give me some more info as I don't like the apps provided

jennaveere
Tourist
7 0 11
We have to use another PAID app 😕
michael_pate
Tourist
6 0 14

This really needs to be fixed. It is a big problem for my store and many others. The Apps that solve this work but they cause a lot of other issues. 

jennaveere
Tourist
7 0 11

💯 The other apps introduce more issues and make things way more complex than they have to be. Way to go Shopify, keep milking us for every little thing. 

michael_pate
Tourist
6 0 14

Nick,  This is a big issue and we do not need a third party app for it. It should be addressed by Shopify. It seems  Shopify thinks everyone is selling clothing or something simpler But for those of us selling parts with multiple options, the three variant limit does not work. We have used the app method in the past. The App worked, but caused other issues and the trade off is not worth it. How can we get Shopify to help with this?

Oislt
Shopify Partner
9 1 3

I am a loyal @Shopify customer, but I am growing increasingly frustrated with the limitations on customization options, particularly with the Bundle App. The three-option limit and 100 variants constraint are inhibiting my business growth. Many like me are considering alternatives due to these limitations. Please reconsider these restrictions to maintain customer satisfaction and loyalty.

ncull
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

How hasn't this been addressed? Shopify has so many ridiculous limitations. 

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

Thanks Nick. Very helpful to us

Does shopify provide bundle and grouped products apps too? Please explain

And one of our client would like to list accessories products in the already listed products. Any solution

Intellect Outsource: Elevate Your Shopify Store! Experts in Product Data Entry, Bulk Uploads, and Customer Support. Boost Your eCommerce Success with Us!

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi there, 

Great to hear the information above was useful. Regarding your new question. There are some product bundle apps in the Shopify App store which you might find can work for you here. Let's look at them below:

Hopefully one of the apps above does what you need it to do. 

Can you explain a little further what you mean by "would like to list accessories products in the already listed products." I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

Hi Nick,

When we tried to install "Infinite Options app" for listing adding more than three option for a prduct, please review answer from one of shopify officer

"The Infinite Options app is ok, but it will only create options on the product."What this means is that these aren't separate varients within Shopify and therefore the prices and individual stock levels of the configurations can't be adjusted. The best solution I could offer would be an alternative app called Product Options by Bold this still has the same restriction in terms of the stock levels, but it does allow you to charge more dependant on the options selected."

If we use Product Options by Bold app, can we bulk import more more than 3 product options for a product?

or 

Should we create options manuvally in the app and map into the proudct? Please advise

Awaiting your reply

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

Awaiting your help

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi Intellect Outsource, 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. 

I looked into this for you and saw that you can have more than three options should you wish, but they can also be dynamic. For example, you can have tick boxes, radio buttons, and file uploads. You can see exactly how diverse the app is from the video on the app page here and you can see the app itself with all of its options here

Regarding whether you should import or create the options manually, from what I see it would probably be best to do it manually within the app, I'm not entirely sure you could even import options in, but that might be a good question for the Bold team specifically (support@boldapps.zendesk.com). Personally, though, I would do it manually as some of the options are so customized and could require specific attention. 

I hope that helps and answers your question. Don't hesitate to reach out again should you have any others. 

All the best, Nick

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

Thanks Nick. If we process manually, this is very time consuming

Why Shopify not wide their option arrangment 3 to 6

Because most of the furniture, bath tup type of product has more than 3 options and accesfories

Shopify default import is the fine solution to upload product very friendly into store. Once we try with new app, we does not feel much not confirtable with app and clients really diffappointed.

Ok. Thanks for your support. If any new easist technology launched by shopify regarding this subject, please us know. Thanks

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi Intellect Outsource, 

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion here regarding increasing the option arrangement. I will be sure to pass this along to the team for future consideration. on your behalf. I can see how it would benefit and impact your store/ business. I can understand your reservations working with a third party such as app developer but I can say the BOLD team is very good and reliable in terms of this app. 

Thanks again for getting back and letting me know. 

All the best, Nick

mashkovtsev
Shopify Partner
38 1 27

Hi Nick. I totally agree with 

Two years have passed since this post publication, but there're still only three options available natively in Shopify. We're using Shopify API a lot in our store and it's imposible for us to add more than three options using API... Reduces our performance a lot.

I hope it will be fixed. Thanks.

All the best.
Alex, Team Lead at Infinite Solutions Shopify Studio
https://inso.codes/
SCSV
Visitor
1 0 5

Hi there,
I totally agree with mashkovtsev, it is necessary for Shopify to have more than 3 options for variants. Also, that it can be loaded from API, manual loading of products is not a good option when 30k products must be imported.

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

If we install infinite options, can we use bulk import feature to upload infinite options?

Cedric4
Visitor
1 0 6

We need more than three options. I am selling computers and would like my customer to select between Color, processor, Capacity, RAM, Graphic card for the same computer model!!!!

Can we bump this case and get an answer from shopify?

Is it even being discussed by shopify?

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

According to Shopify, we can list only 3 options. As we are product data entry service provider for shopify store, we have used many app for our clients. But used apps are complicated

We suggest to use the APP " Product Options By Bold". But here we not able to process bulk import

We can create product option set with multiple options and link with multiple products. There is no limit for options and we can design options like swatches, buttons, text areas, date pickers, and more. We can assign prices and additional charges to required variations.

If more products have the same options, we can easily use one options set and link it to many parent product

Drawback: We can't create option set using Bulk Import

rcstrick
Visitor
1 0 5

Shopify team, we definitely need more than 3 options. This will be a game changer for so many store owners & will prevent owners from switching to other platforms.

Please create the ability to have more than 3 options natively.

Thank you.

John

Clawsun
Visitor
1 0 5

We would also like to request more than 3 options. Our client needs 4. We've spent hours looking at apps, but none of them can track inventory and that's the main feature we need. We're migrating from Squarespace to Shopify because in general Shopify is better for e-commerce, but Squarespace allows way more than 3 options (with inventory) and that's an advantage it has on Shopify.

LeeCasey
Tourist
3 0 8

Bump.... increase to 6. Why is there even a limit? Some of the choices that are made at Shopify are questionable. 

jennaveere
Tourist
7 0 11

Because they want you to use their app developers 🙂

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

Still shopify supporting team not support yet regarding this subject. It means they would like to continue with 3 options

Intellect_Outs1
Excursionist
75 0 12

For your attention about this topic, we have noticed a new extension “Product Variants Reloaded” for listing more than 3 options for your product. : https://apps.shopify.com/more-than-100-variants

Using this APP, we can bulk import upto 6 options & 1000 - 3000 variants per product. We can maintain unique SKU and inventory for variations. The app works by combining the variants from multiple products and displaying them under a single product called a Master Product on the app.

In the app, under Master products, you can create a master product by adding them by searching using a keyword. Now select a parent product for your master product and save it. It's essential to keep in mind that all products included in a master product must list identical options and share the same option names.

Removing a master product does not affect the products linked to it. Instead, the products will function independently as regular Shopify products. If you remove any of the child products from your store, the master product will continue, with only the deleted product's variants being removed from its option list.

A parent product needs to be set on a master product, it works as the base product page for the master product on your site. You can change the parent product for your master product anytime.

There are mainly 2 plans available so far

Silver Plan

• Upto 1000 variants per product
  • Combine upto 10 products
  • Upto 6 options per product
  • Import master products via CSV

Gold Plan

• Upto 3000 variants per product
  • Combine upto 30 products
  • Upto 6 options per product
  • Import master products via CSV

Limitation

1. We not able to import more than 6 options or less than 100 variations using this APP. Ie if a product has less than 100 variations, we not able to use this extension but instead, we need to list the product using Shopify default import method.
  2. We not able to customize the options using this extension for example if you would like to list as Swatch, text field, radio button, etc it does not work. It is only helpful to list more than 3 option and will be listed according to your installed theme.
jennaveere
Tourist
7 0 11

I have been using Dynamic Product Options by ITORIS and his support is fantastic. It is tedious but definitely the best workaround. I have tried all the other solutions Nick has mentioned. I had major issues with BOLD not charging the correct amount at checkout. We lost a lot of money due to that app, so I would not use that one.