Move ALL inventory to new location at once

Kerry_Shaw
4 0 0

Hi //

I'm trying to move ALL products and stock to new location at once. In the transfer section, I can select all the product and then it says I can't transfer without number values. THere seems to be no way to select ALL inventory and move toa  new location. I can't go one by one as I'd have to cross-reference each line.

Help, I must be missing something!

Replies 29 (29)

Renars
Shopify Partner
284 31 332

Hey Kerry.

I could offer you to use https://excelify.io/ app. With it you would be able to export all your products to Excel file where you could see all your current product quantities in each location and edit how many products you wish to be where. Then just import this file again with Excelify and done. 🙂 If you have more questions about this feel free to contact us - https://excelify.io/contact-us/

Matrixify | Bulk Import Export Update | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://matrixify.app

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi Kerry, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Thank you for sharing the screenshot, it helps to figure out what could be the problem. I had our higher level technical support team look into this for you and they mentioned it looks like you are trying to use transfers to move inventory between locations, which is something that isn't supported. Can you confirm if that's what you're trying to do and we can take it from there and find a possible solution which works if this is what you've been trying already?

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

LarryD-13
Tourist
6 0 8

@Nick I am trying to do the same thing. I am closing one of my locations and just need to move all the current quantities at that location to a different location. This seems like an obvious thing to be able to do. Choose a Product/Variant and assign all of its current inventory to the new location. It looks like the only current capability is to select each product individually and assign a specific quantity to a different location. Basically if you want to delete a location you have to go line by line to assign a product quantity to a different location. Which can be a huge headache and complete waste of time. 

Larry D.
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @LarryD-13,

I'm wondering if changing the inventory quantities for your locations might be a good workaround for you here. It's not exactly moving the inventory directly from one location to another, but it is the closest method to achieve what you are looking to do right now. You can see the steps for how to do a bulk order for locations below:

1. Go to Products.

2. Select a product with variants that you want to edit the inventory quantities for.

3. In the Variants section, click Edit variants > Open bulk editor.

4. Change the values in the rows and columns by clicking in a cell:

• Inventory managed by - Select whether Shopify or an app manages the inventory.
    • Available at - For each location, adjust the inventory quantities. You can specify Stocked or Not stocked, depending whether Track quantity is checked.
    • Track quantity - If checked, you can change the quantities. If unchecked, the inventory isn't tracked, and the values will only be Stocked or Not stocked.
  5. Click Save.

Shopify also made a YouTube tutorial going through all the steps for how to do this which you can see below:

Hopefully, this helps!

Zecharia_Gilbe1
Visitor
1 0 2

I need all inventory moved to another location....  I am dropshipping inventory from the warehouse and not from the office location..... when setting up the store, it was the office location

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi Zecharia, 

Is this something you are looking to do or have you tried it and something's not quite working? If you could elaborate with some more details on what you're looking for that would be great. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

danielpretorius
Shopify Partner
97 0 13

Hi @Kerry_Shaw 

Another way to do this is to sync and manage your inventory from Airtable. Check out our guide on how to manage and track Shopify inventory .

hasuseizo
Visitor
1 0 6

I've had this same issue and escalated the ticket (13585469 ) back in July of 2019.  The feature is still not available and leaves a lot of room for error in the bulk editor.  Recently we've been having issues with the bulk editor not actually saving to the server even though the screen dialog says all products are saved.  The feature of moving all products between locations (in my case when we do a pop-up or festival) would be a huge help, in particular when we'd like to be in compliance with local jurisdiction's sales taxes.

I don't want another 3rd party app that should be handled internally by an inventory management software provider.  Obviously 2 issues listed above, a feature enhancement and a current feature (bulk editor) having issues.

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

Hi there, 

I recently did this for a client of mine. What I did was:

1. Set up the new location under Settings > Locations

2. Set the new location as the default.

3. Deactivate the old location.

4. Then a pop up should appear that asks where you want the items that are in-stock or unfulfilled to go (or who will inherit the items). 

Select the new location and then this should deactivate your old location and move the items across to the new location. 

If you need to keep both locations open, another way to move the items is to create a product transfer between the store locations (under Products > Transfers). You will have to individually select each item from the list - similar to selecting products for a discount. It does take a bit longer, but it's better than updating items and stock numbers under the Inventory tab. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Michelle

sadndirtyclothi
Visitor
2 0 3

THANK YOU OMG !

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

@sadndirtyclothi You're very welcome! I hope it helps!! 

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

You’re very welcome 🙂

jgressett
Tourist
3 0 5

Hi, is using the Transfer functionality still the best option to this? I am going to do multiple pop-ups each year and I will take all inventory with me. I will set up locations for the pop-up in order to collect sales tax correctly.  I will also take the online store offline during these pop-ups. So I want to move all inventory to the pop-up location temporarily. Once the pop-up is done I will want to move all inventory back to the main location and open the online store again. Is transfer the way to go? 

I wish there was a way to share inventory between locations.....

sadndirtyclothi
Visitor
2 0 3

Hii 

That makes sense to me. Everything should stay the same when you transfer. 🙂

Good luck with ur pop-ups!

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

Hello, yes as far as I know, it’s the quickest and most accurate way to transfer all items. I have a client doing the same with pop up stores and it’s working well.

when you say share inventory, do you mean all total inventory being available at all locations?

If so, what you could do is set the main location and have all items at that location and under the shipping have free pick up options at the locations of the pop up markets with the collection day e.g Pick up - Market name (Saturday only 7am to 2pm)

If you wanted to allocate items to different locations: 

1. Under Settings / Locations, activate or select the check box that says “Fulfil items from this location”

2. Go to the products that are at different locations and under Inventory section, select Edit locations, activate the location the item is at and set the product count (don’t forget to reduce the count from the location it’s currently sitting in). 

unfortunately I haven’t found a way to activate all locations on all items without going into the individual product first, but I’ll check it out when I turn the Cyber Monday sales off tomorrow and let you know either way. 

hope this helps 🙂

KRG
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi there, 

I recently did this for a client of mine. What I did was:

1. Set up the new location under Settings > Locations

2. Set the new location as the default.

3. Deactivate the old location.

4. Then a pop up should appear that asks where you want the items that are in-stock or unfulfilled to go (or who will inherit the items). 

Select the new location and then this should deactivate your old location and move the items across to the new location. 

If you need to keep both locations open, another way to move the items is to create a product transfer between the store locations (under Products > Transfers). You will have to individually select each item from the list - similar to selecting products for a discount. It does take a bit longer, but it's better than updating items and stock numbers under the Inventory tab. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

This solutions seems exactly what I'm looking for but curious if you know off hand if this solution will also take Products that are "Out of Stock" or only those that have positive quantities in them?

Thanks very much!

KRG

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

Hi KRG, 

I’m glad I can help. Yes, as long as all orders have been fulfilled from that location, it will transfer all items regardless of stock to the new location when you deactivate it 😀

hope you’re having a nice day!

many thanks, michelle 

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

PS. I believe the only reason a product won’t transfer is because the order hasn’t been marked as “fulfilled” in the Orders section. 🤓

KRG
Visitor
2 0 1

I’m glad I can help. Yes, as long as all orders have been fulfilled from that location, it will transfer all items regardless of stock to the new location when you deactivate it

hope you’re having a nice day!

many thanks, michelle

Thanks for the updated info, I actually took a chance on just did it and it all worked as you initially described. Saved me literally hours of work.

Cheers!

KRG

SouthernSpirit
Tourist
3 0 5

Hey Michelle, If delete the location and it asks me where to move the in stock items to and I succeed.... could I then go back and add another location in there in the event i need to move inventory back over?  

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

Hi Southern Spirit, apologies for the late reply - I hope that you have had some luck with this, but yes if you delete the location, you can go back and add another location in the event you need to do this again. My client does this 4 times a year as the pop-up market moves location. 

jgressett
Tourist
3 0 5

I agree with this.  Since my first reply to this thread we have learned a lot.  We do a lot of weekend shows/pop-ups.  What we have settled on is NOT transferring any inventory to the pop-up Location.  We just use POS (POS doesn't care if there is anything in stock or not...it assumes if you're trying to check out that item then you have it....) to sell from that Location, which gives us negative numbers in that location's inventory.  When we're done with the show we deactivate that location, Shopify asks which other location to move inventory to, we choose our primary location, and then Shopify moves the negative inventory numbers there and all our counts are correct.  The only scenario I see where this is a problem is if you're doing a ton of online sales while you are doing a popup and you aren't able to watch those transactions closely.  We do not.  So this works for us.

Streamcast
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Any idea how to change my default Shopify location from (my home) address to fulfillment service i.e. "DSer app" (a dropshipping app in shopify store) on all products/variants? this is the exact same issue, just setting it for all products to an application-location for fufillment.

as several folks noted, To do this on each variant would be hours of work. The DSer folks don't have a button to do this and must be done in shopify... hmm... 
OK GURU's! HELP!!

Inked278643625_379119957461297_958101454806508513_n_LI.jpg

LMcherrywood
Visitor
1 0 1

This is the perfect answer! The only way to not miss transferring the entire inventory from one location to another is to deactivate the location that inventory is leaving from👍

Heidi_Atchison
Tourist
4 0 1

This just saved me a ton of time. Thanks Michelle!!

bradenmoran
Visitor
1 0 1

So appreciated this!  Saved me HOURS of individual product inventory updating and many potential errors!! Your steps worked perfectly.  THANK YOU!!!

AndryeaNatkin
Tourist
3 0 32

THANK YOU! It takes a woman!

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

Hi @Kerry_Shaw 

If you use Mixtable's Excel-like spreadsheet interface to update your Shopify product inventory in bulk you can then simply cut+paste inventory from one location to another.

El8
Visitor
1 0 1

I just changed the name and address of the current Location holding all the inventory. Under Settings > Locations