Multi-language store, manual translations, best way?

3 0 2

Hello,

I am working on a store that should have French and English versions of each page.

Most of the apps I see offer automatic translation.

This is not desirable as want to manage the copy on my own. The original is written in English and then will be translated to French, using translators that are subject matter experts and copywriters.

What is the best way to have proper URLs for each language and the manually-translated copy? Do I absolutely need an app?

Thank you!

- Mike

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Mike,

I have the exact same question.  I'm actually migrating a shop that already has separate subdomains (ie shop.com/en and shop.com/fr) that have custom translations.

Please let me know if you find your answer anywhere and I'll post back here if I learn anything.

Cheers,

Wai

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi there

I too have this question and I was checking the feedbacks on the different Apps available but did not find the answer resp. got more questions.

Hope that there will be some feedback here.

Good day

Regina

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 2

I haven't really found any answers yet.

So far, everything seems to revolve around using an app.

It does seem that Weglot can use custom translations, from what I can see.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

I started playing with a trial account and imported over a few of my products using a CSV file.  I ported over in English as I wanted that as my primary language.  Then I used "Translation Lab ‑ AI Translate" app because it was free to use with the trial account.  It was pretty straight forward to use.  I was able to set up the different languages that I wanted.  I didn't use Translation Lab to do any of the translation.  Instead I just copied and pasted from translations I already had into the translation fields for the different languages and products. 

With Translations Lab, the apps states that it can import translations but for a fee ($9.99), so that may be the way to go for me as I have over 2000 products I need to import in.  The way I see the process working is I export first to see what fields can be populated and then I would have to copy and paste my manual translations into those fields.

I'm open to other options .

0 Likes