Multiple Currency

Highlighted
3 0 0

McDonald Textiles - Possum Merino Clothing Store is planning to expand their business to Australia and UK and there is no solution except real-time currency converter. Now, the only option is to create another store and copy-paster products and blog posts which will be bad for Search Engines I reckon. Any better suggestion from experts?

There's an announcement from Shopify plus which also will be using real-time FX rate.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3244 245 555

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

If a currency converter option won't work for you and you do decide to go down the route of creating a region-specific store, there are ways to make it work without hurting the SEO side of things. There are some Geo Locating apps in the Shopify app store which connect them and direct visitors to the most appropriate store online with their currency closest to their region. You can see some of the most popular Geolocation apps in the Shopify app store below:

As well as the Geolocation apps you could also apply subdomains to maintain a good SEO presence. Do you feel any of these or a combination of the above could accomplish what you are looking for or would it be something else? 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Nick,

Let me explain what we want from Shopify.

1. We would like to expand our business to Australia & England. Currently, we are based in New Zealand and using NZ Currency. For Australia, we would like to use AU$ and setting the price by us in AU$. People will be paying in Australian $ instead of converting NZ$.

2. I would like to know what are the options to do that? If we create 2 more new stores, and duplicate products and blog posts that will hurt SEO.

3. It will be expensive to run more than one store.

Please let me know the solution. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
2684 67 814

Hi BBT-Digital,

re SEO you may check this thread about implementing hreflangs. Jodi there is a fellow kiwi and have an AU shop in addition to her NZ shop (and I helped her to implement exclusions for pages which do not exist on both sites) -- you may reach out to her to check out what her experience is so far.

Your expenses, IMHO will be mostly affected by the number (and monthly price) of the Apps you have.

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
I am away till Feb-15.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
191 2 9

Hello there,

You should use a currency app. I recommend Currency Converter Box. It's free now and you can convert the price to 164 currencies. There are 4 themes to show. Edit colors and customize decimals. Pick one of eight default positions to place the dropdown.

Worth installing!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
21 0 3

Using IP geolocation API can be a better option for you.

By using it, you can detect your user's location and then can redirect your store according to visitor's location. Its quite simple and economical.

For any technical help, you can contact at support@ipgeolocation.io.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
191 2 11

Hi there!

If you want to control your price separately  while expanding to Australia and UK market, I do suggest you having 'multiple' shops to serve different domain, for example, yourshop.com.au for Australia, and yourshop.co.uk for UK. This provides the best customisation to serve each market as you can flexibly control prices, shipping cost, and stock availability.

Geo Redirect tool can help you identify your visitors' locations using their IPs, and auto direct them to location-specific domain URLs. For example, if a visitor is from Australia, and he goes to yourshop.com website, it will auto direct your visitor to youshop.com.au.

The tool is easy to set up redirecting rules within a few steps. No programming is required. It will further generate Javascript code for you to add to your website. Shopify platform is well supported.

When it comes to SEO, 'multiple' domains won't hurt SEO performance as long as you add hreflang tags to the website. For more details, you might find this article helpful: https://geotargetly.com/hreflang-seo-guide-for-multilingual-regional-websites

Hope it helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
191 2 11

Hi there! What solution did you go?

The store is expanding to Australia and UK and plan to provide local currency upon checking out, I would suggest to open new store websites for new markets. It provides the best flexibility to control differences of currencies, prices, etc. To better engage with your customers, you could set localised content to better target your visitors, like regional discounts, shipping costs, differentiated products etc...Additionally, to prevent visitors getting lost among your multiple stores and improve user experience, you can auto direct visitors to correct URLs. You can use IP geolocation tools, for example, Geo Targetly. With its Geo Redirect tool, it can detect your visitors' locations based on their IPs. You can easily set up location rules to redirect visitors, each market region can associate with individual rules. In this way, regardless of whichever URLs your visitors click, for example, if he is in UK, he will be redirected to his correct UK URLs.

Come to SEO issue. it's a common issue of redundant content regarding to multi-regional sites that may impact your SEO ranking. It's important to tell google your site structure to avoid google penalty and let google rank only relevant webpages for your visitors from different markets. You may use hreflang tags for your multi-regional sites for geo SEO. For detailed hreflang tags, you may read the post: https://geotargetly.com/hreflang-seo-guide-for-multilingual-regional-websites

Just for the info, Shopify plus could be the alternative's solution. Be aware though the pricing starts at $2,000 monthly.

0 Likes