Multiple discount at checkout

Solved
Britta
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi Sammy, 
that is great news on your app. We use a similar app to allow multiple discounts but the problem within shopify still exists as it is the actual shopify platform which prevents you using a code in shopify along with discounts from an app. I m not a technical guru but I am sure it cannot be that difficult for shopify to allow the option of multiple discounts and the problem would be solved (looks like I am not the only one with that request!)

optizio
Tourist
7 0 2

Thanks Britta!

Trust me, I fully understand the frustration here! But applying multiple discounts, which may impact the same line item is truly not a trivial task. I'll try my best to explain why! I speak as someone who has worked on solving this problem in the Shopify ecosystem for the last 6 months, and also as someone who was part of a team which built a similar system for Pizza Hut.

Keep in mind, Shopify discount codes allow you to target collections, which can be automatically updated (this is probably the most powerful feature of Shopify imo). This makes it most likely very difficult to make sure there are no overlapping discounts at line item level (collections can contain huge numbers of products, and products can be a part of a huge number of collections - which makes this computationally extremely expensive).

If we want multiple discounts to apply at a line item, then things suddenly become a whole lot more complicated.

Let's say you have 10% off collection A and $5 off collection B. Item A (priced at $10) exists in both collection A and collection B. Depending on the order in which these are applied, you will either get a saving of $5.50 OR $6. Now imagine these same calculations, but throwing in BXGY, minimum requirements etc!

Two possible solutions:
1.) Shopify allows you to describe the order in which these discounts apply
2.) Only the discount with the largest saving applies

Both of these would require a rework of their discounting engine, or at least an addition to it!

Next, both of these solutions have a UX problem for the end customer. How are they informed of why a certain deal has applied, over another?

Shopify for sure has the technical capabilities to solve this type of problem, so why haven't they done it? Well, I think the first answer is that the UX is extremely difficult to get right. Both from a merchant point of view and an end customer point of view.

Secondly, the Shopify ecosystem is built around applications. Shopify's premise is to provide the solid foundational technology and to build a selection of applications on top that provide all the goodies. Personally, I think this is a very smart approach, and means their tech teams can focus on building that resilient platform! Other engineering teams can then focus on subsets of problems. Note they have financial gain here also - and certainly part of the reason for not providing extensive functionality is to ensure that the Plus option is viable.

0 Likes
NKARTHIK246
2 0 0

Hi,

When paid apps are able to address UX issue with ease, Shopify should also be able to address it by taking clues. 

thanks. 

0 Likes
Achiel
2 0 0

Count my vote too please.

0 Likes
Rudie_Errenrich
Tourist
6 0 5

Shopify is not going to include this guys. They might as well close this thread.

0 Likes
JessicaBulldog
Tourist
3 0 1

Wondering if you ever came up with a solution to the stackable discounts issue?  I too have a rewards program that gives out coupon codes but then my customers cannot use a discount code at the same time.

0 Likes
HIC-Cynthia
Tourist
3 0 7

It's February 2021 and I still don't see a way to do this... ? 

This is an important functionality that is missing. Many of us have products where it makes sense to say "buy 2 or more and get x% off"  for the product always. But we also need to be able to run sales and use other discount codes along with this way of offering our product "bundle". If you aren't going to provide a way for us to set up a product to sell with the different price for different quantities, then you need to allow us to apply the automatic discount along with other discounts. 

This is so clearly an important functionality that is missing. 

Please add my vote on the importance of this.

thanks,

c-

JessicaBulldog
Tourist
3 0 1
Hi Cynthia

As far as we can all see I don’t think the shopify has come up with a solution for this yet which is SUPER annoying. However, there is a third-party app that does allow this. I haven’t incorporated it into my store yet because I’m not sure if there’s a limitation to how many discounts you can stack but I know you definitely can stack them using the app.

https://apps.shopify.com/coupon-stacker

0 Likes

As far as we can all see I don’t think the shopify has come up with a solution for this yet which is SUPER annoying. However, there is a third-party app that does allow this. I haven’t incorporated it into my store yet because I’m not sure if there’s a limitation to how many discounts you can stack but I know you definitely can stack them using the app.

https://apps.shopify.com/coupon-stacker 

Thank you so much Jessica for sharing the app. It really work for me.

Liberandco
1 0 1

Multiple discounts needed here as well. Crazy this is not an option for businesses. Please implement.

Thanks!