Solved

Can you apply multiple discounts at checkout on Shopify?

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)
JessicaBulldog
Tourist
5 0 5

Wondering if you ever came up with a solution to the stackable discounts issue?  I too have a rewards program that gives out coupon codes but then my customers cannot use a discount code at the same time.

TheCrystalBaske
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi there

id also like to use stackable discounts. We offer reward points and from time to time have codes for valued customers. If they want to use their reward points at the same time as a promo they can’t. Please add me to the vote list. 
I see this thread is from 2019. Is this feature likely to come soon? 

donnamac
Trailblazer
243 5 194

@TheCrystalBaske   It does not seem like Shopify intends to do anything for this issue since it has been posted for so long.  If you have the time...you can browse through some feedback from others in this feed as to workarounds they have come up with. I think one was marked 'solution' that seemed to be pretty good.
Bottom line...it ends up being a fair amount of time to do..and keep straight. 
I think it is still worth putting  your 'hat in the ring' though. 
Best to you.

nurila
Visitor
1 0 1

yes me too having this problem for my website! recently i tried apps to allow stackable discount but it doesn't work with reward points. so upsetting:(

please help to make it workable as soon as possible.

Gdust
Tourist
4 0 2

Please count me too.

caseyjo
Shopify Partner
19 0 0

Hi Peter, 

Could you also please add me to the vote of stackable discounts.  Really would love this feature 🙂 

Regards, 

Casey 

phoebeyong8ch
Visitor
2 0 1
I vote for multiple discount in one cart too.
lafauxmagerie
Tourist
7 0 17

Hi Peter,

Can you please contact the team in question and provide us with some sort of timeline? It seems like a basic feature to have that should already be offered, and I amongst other customers are becoming quite frustrated with the lack of clarity surrounding this issue and when/if it will ever be resolved. Frankly I don't feel that enough if being done at all to address this issue considering we've not received any proper information about it for months.

Is it a money issue? Do I need to pay for a certain membership to access this or are Shopify just unwilling to implement or prioritise this issue?

Thank you,

Rachel

rakheecandles
Tourist
5 0 27

Also, why is this marked as Solved?? It's clearly not Solved. 

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15

Because one post I found directed us to a 3rd party app. That was their resolution.

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15

Shopify will NEVER make this available and here is my guess as to why. There are 3rd party apps that do just this, stacked discounts, and they must have some sort of agreement or get kickbacks from those vendors that make money off us for using those apps.

SHOPIFY, stop jerking us around and be honest with us. If this will NOT be a feature and you need to refer us to a 3rd party app just say so. Bet most of us would rather hear the truth than be lied to for the countless years the conversation has been going on. 

llopes85
Tourist
3 0 2

Completely agree! Please contact the team in question and provide us ALL with a timeline. 

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15

Since I had a couple of minutes to do some research figured I'd share this with all.

On 01/20/16 was the first comment I found asking for Stacking Discounts.  3 YEARS AGO... SHOPIFY

On 12/01/17 I found a post from Anders3 with Shopify who said he would pass the suggestion to the developers AND suggested a 3rd party app.

GlowingOrchid
Tourist
9 0 17

There's no app that exists to solve this issue. No timeline as to when the issue will be solved or a solution will be provided. Every effort at support for this problem is a platonic and not actually useful, just sends you down a new rabbit hole to waste your time. The issue has been marked as solved because the original author marked it that way, not shopify, unfortunately. Maybe it's best to start a brand new thread. I've been following this one for months and really it's just going nowhere. Seeing that it's been an issue since 2017 is quite disappointing. Its also a joke that shopify added the buy x get y discounts because it's just rubbing salt in the wound since that doesn't help anyone here other than make them more frustrated because you can't stack those with any % off discounts. 

The lack of multiple discounts causes many problems, such as loyalty programs are difficult to balance, and review incentives become irrelevant because customers can't stack their discounts. As mentioned in the comments there's plenty of problems surrounding this simple feature. 

So far all we've heard is that our vote has been 'added to the list'

How many votes are on that list? How long is the list? What rank does this issue hold in that list?

Are our comments even being heard by anyone other than Peter?

JDProductions
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey, I am reading through this thread and am seeing different variations of the issue. I'd love if someone would reach out to me and give me the overall problem. From what I understand is that Shopify does not offer a simple solution to the issue of not allowing customers to stack discount coupons. Although from doing more reading I see merchants are having different variations of that problem. Id love to solve the root of the problem. Please, someone, feel free to PM with what is the root issue and what you would like to happen. 

- Looking forward to chatting!

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15

@JDProductions There is already a solution but you have to pay monthly for the app. Like most of us, this should be a feature that is provided by Shopify, we are tired of the feeling of getting nickled and dimed for anything we are needing from this platform. I am now paying $30 a month for an app that does the Stacked Discounts that Shopify should be offering. At this point the only thing you would be able to offer is a FREE app.

JDProductions
Visitor
3 0 0

Geeze what app is that?

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15

@JDProductions if you're asking me, it's Ultimate Special Offers by Pixel Union. With this app my current promotion is....

Buy 4 of item1 get 10% off

Get 4 of item2 at 20% off since you bought 4 of item1

Get 10% off of item3 since you purchased item2

Get 20% off item4 since you met our tiered criteria.

Get item5 FREE since your purchase as > $10

My customers can take advantage of all these promotions at once without entering a single code.

This promotion includes:

1. Tiered Promotion

2. Buy X Get X

3. Free Gift

4. Bundle Discount

5. Bulk Discount

Have not used this feature yet but, with this app your customer can pick if they want to use the app promo or a code you gave or both at the same time.

What sucks is... I have to pay another monthly fee AND conflicts with a Rewards App. The conflict is because a Rewards App auto-generates codes like this app does. 

attila_enyedi
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @renwill !

Could you please tell me which app you are using to stack coupon codes?

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15

We are using Ultimate Special Offer by Pixel Union. The monthly is $29.

lafauxmagerie
Tourist
7 0 17

we want to be able to apply multiple discounts at the checkout without one ov

@JDProductions wrote:

Hey, I am reading through this thread and am seeing different variations of the issue. I'd love if someone would reach out to me and give me the overall problem. From what I understand is that Shopify does not offer a simple solution to the issue of not allowing customers to stack discount coupons. Although from doing more reading I see merchants are having different variations of that problem. Id love to solve the root of the problem. Please, someone, feel free to PM with what is the root issue and what you would like to happen. 

- Looking forward to chatting!

erriding the other and without having to pay for a third party app, especially as none of them actually solve the issue properly, or so I've read in this thread.

EmpressD
Visitor
2 0 0
Your absolutely right and it's just ridiculous. I also want to see this so called list because I'm quite sure there's more than enough votes by now.
MarkJames1
Visitor
2 0 8

I'm a capable developer and i've spent hours trying to set up discounts the way we need it, via third party apps. None have worked as desired.

It is an utter joke that Shopify expects customers to pay $80 a month for their platform, plus $X per month for addons, and they cannot offer basic discount functionality. We need MULTIPLE automated discounts, and also allow customers to enter a manual discount code on top of the automated discount if they want to. Magento and other platforms have offered this for years.

Pull your finger out Shopify and get it done...

aj007
Excursionist
33 0 71

Just to recap a few other recent posts from shopkeepers who could not find a Shopify discount app that actually worked properly... Shopify, it's up to you to match your competitors and provide one as part of your basic service!

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Multiple-discount-at-checkout/m-p/614042/highligh...

As to the third party apps that may solve multiple discounts problem - we tried many of them. In the last 6 months we were down for days due to the subscription app not syncing with Shopify and were notified by a customer that add to cart button wasn't available. We lost sales revenue during that time as well as marketing dollars that were spent while site was not working. We also had to uninstall loyalty app because it was impacting performance.

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Multiple-discount-at-checkout/m-p/605230/highligh...
We trialled several loyalty programs, in conjunction with several apps which were supposed to allow discount stacking and couldn't find any combination which worked. In all cases we contacted the developers to see if they could offer a solution and they all appear as frustrated by it as we are. Some other posts on this board have indicated that a solution can be found by paying for an app, but we haven't found that to be the case.

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Multiple-discount-at-checkout/m-p/580925/highligh...
I tried an app but it conflicted with both our them and with another app from the same company. So, "apps" would be bad enough if all they did was take your money, but then they don't work either.

GlowingOrchid
Tourist
9 0 17

7 months later and still waiting. One day our needs will be heard but for now, it seems we are just left to deal with these headaches caused by customers having suboptimal user experience due to being unable to utilize multiple discount codes. 

sgreenprice
Visitor
2 0 11

Shopify where is this feature?! This has been suggested a YEAR AND A HALF ago and still nothing.

This is such a basic request and you have completely floundered in delivering it. I am this close to closing my store and moving to another platform.

sgreenprice
Visitor
2 0 11

Also why is this marked as solved? This is unequivocally unsolved as of yet. 

Baremotion
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm wondering if anyone has used the "volume & Tiered Discounts" app... Thought?  Comments?

eva14
Visitor
1 0 1

I would like to add my vote to this as well.  Really glad i tested it out before someone tried to use it.  So bummed about not having this feature!

UpCircle
Visitor
2 0 3

Hi, do we have any further update on adding multiple discounts to an order? For example I am running an automatic discount on specific products, but then some customers also have other discounts (e.g. $5 off, 10% off next order etc) that they now can't apply and it's causing a lot of abandoned carts and headaches. 

What I don't understand is if this is something that has been requested since 2012 but hasn't been implemented - WHY? I cannot see the logic for this from Shopify POV. What am I missing?

VikingE
Tourist
3 0 3

Dayum, since 2012? That is really bad, especially seeing the feature request as far back as 8 years ago and Shopify is "logging it" as a "featured request". I do feel the wool is being pulled over people's eyes with that kind of evidence presented.

Like others have said, I think this would of been implemented by now if it was going to happen. 
Its a bit of a shame, I'm exploring alot of shopify right now to setup a new website. 

I can make it work, but yes, it will affect our sales, and no, I dont and will not use an outside app for this. The more non-reliant on apps we can be, the better.

Thanks for the information.

sbhtan
Visitor
1 0 1

I agree - this is extremely frustrating, very disappointed with Shopify on how they're handling this request. If it can't be done just tell us. 

heidinyx
Visitor
2 0 3

Sure would be nice if a 3 billion dollar company could provide such a basic feature, so the rest of us 5 figurers could afford turkey meals or maybe even a holiday off some time. 🙂

LeFreq
Visitor
2 0 0

The automatic discount feature should be able to be used more than 1 time for things like free shipping over X amount, and quanity based evergreen discounts. (ex: buy 1, get 1 1/2 off) This could potentially solve a number of issues I've read in this LONG ONGOING thread. 

The multiple/stacked discounts being used, should really be a non issue by now. Why can't we at least allow customers to "Apply" codes one by one? Still not ideal, but at least it becomes possible without some error popping up, and customers don't abandon the entire process in frustration. 

Adding insult to injury, I'm finding out this is an issue because I'm running Black Friday Ad's &  allocating $ to marketing too. Creating credibility/trust issues w/ checkout, and opportunity cost likely mounting - how is this still not a priority??? 

Triage this issue and fix it already, please! 

P.S. Is it possible to just go and pay someone to code it? Any successful, confirmed workaround, or app? 

Re1
Excursionist
24 0 44
I asked a web develop if they could code it, but they said:

"I'm afraid that's not something we can do with the theme code. That is all
controlled by Shopify".
WinkDiapers
Visitor
1 0 1

This is so aggravating. I've had Hulk apps since I moved to Shopify from Weebly 3 years ago, but now suddenly its having TONS of problems. I've emailed them and they've "fixed" their issues around a dozen times, and now today, it all went to shit, on black Friday of all days. Today, I did half the sales amount of last year and have received dozens of emails from customers that were unable to use the coupon codes. I'm sure there's at least that many more customers that just clicked off and didn't bother emailing. What a complete failure.

cschroeter2
Tourist
8 0 3

@WinkDiapers We just caught that we've had a "Custom Discount" appearing and we've lost over $300 in sales since the 26th. I was in chat with shopify to confirm it was the app doing it when I lost power. Trying to reconnect now. Is that one of the issues you encountered?

EG1264
Excursionist
19 0 10

I know this thread is a little old. But I would also like this stacked discount feature! I have an ever running automatic discount applied to my store, and I would love to give a discount code to my subscribers and to my abandoned cart folks. 

DaneOliver
Visitor
1 0 5

Hey Peter, It's been over a year now. Surely based on all this feedback shopify can provide a multiple discount at check out option? Where is Shopify on this and can you confirm it's being worked on?

Dane

strongful
Tourist
6 0 2

Hey Peter

I would also like to vote for the feature please.

We spend days and weeks trying to find alternative and weird solutions

fabmol1
Excursionist
31 0 9

C'mon Shopify, we really need this.

I can't even do a new customer discount code combined with a bundle discount

Ravensaxo
Tourist
5 0 1

This would be the most helpful addition EVER 

keithpickering
Excursionist
14 1 19

We have a store with automatic bundle discounts and we need coupon codes to still be usable. Is there an app that will accomplish this for us (easily) until Shopify can implement it natively?

donnamac
Trailblazer
243 5 194

@Trevor 

Has anything been done on this issue lately?  In these challenging times, we need to give various discounts to get business.
We want to run and automatic discount, but let our mailing list customers use a code for an additional 10% off.

Is this 'doable'?

Thanks

CleanandSimple
Tourist
3 0 6

I literally just tried the gift card option. I sent a $2.00 gift card to my self (as a customer) and was able to apply it to my checkout as well as the automated free shipping I offer discount. Both were able to be applied but only in the mobile app and not on my desktop for some reason.  I'm still trying to figure out ways to give my customers deals as well as free shipping, I wish there was an easier way to do this other than sending my customers a gift card that can be applied.  

If ANYONE knows a better way or if this gets solved... by Shopify I know we all (shop owners) and our customers would MUCH appreciate this option.

Thanks!

patrickc1164
Visitor
2 0 2

Hi Peter,

Please add me to the list and vote for having the ability to utilize multiple discounts. We give all customers a discount, but we want to offer returning VIP customers an additional % of $ off.

Thank you,

Patrick

https://www.emeryl.net/

alendrew
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi patrickc, thank you for sharing your discount details. But you ask for more discount for returning customer but not told about the percentage for returning customer. Do I know about it? And also thanks for sharing your store link as well. https://www.emeryl.net/

magnetiic
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

Add us to the vote. We need this feature

Lace
Visitor
2 0 0

Add us to the list please. I really want to make less money by having multiple discounts.  In all seriousness.

Also you really should work on getting that magic wand. Surprised you don't have it already.