Solved

Multiple discount at checkout

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

At this time, Shopify doesn't currently offer "stackable" discounts in that, only one discount code can be used per order. That said, I know this is a wanted feature by many and something I'd love to see added to the platform. For this, I've gone ahead and added your vote to the existing feature request to show our teams there is further interest in implementing this in a future update. 

In the meantime, if you're subscribed to the Shopify plan, then you could consider offering your customers a gift card with the balance of the discount code you wish to offer them. Alternatively, you could partially refund their orders or use apps like Locksmith to lock down specific marked down products so that only your preferred customers can access the discounted prices. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

Personallypaws1
Tourist
9 0 31

Hi Peter

I am also interested in this option.  I would like to be able to offer an automatic discount at quantity breaks combined with an additional fixed or percent off discount.  Presently I have to offer my product quantity discounts by using variants...12/pk, 6/pk, 3/pk etc .  however as my business grows this is really making inventory tracking impossible.  My site is www.Personallypaws.com.  If I use the automatic discount at these quantities my customers are not allowed to take an additional say 5% off or $10 off orders of more than $100 etc.  I love shopify and the advances it has been making however I am sure this one that is definitely on the wish list by many.    Please add me to the list!  

Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

Hey, @Personallypaws1!

Thank you for sharing why this would be important to you and your business! I've gone ahead and added your vote to the existing feature request. 

lafauxmagerie
Tourist
7 0 17

Can you please add our shop to this request too! We're desperate for the ability to stack discounts but we'd rather not pay a monthly subscription for an app to do it! 

HNC1
Tourist
8 0 8

Me too! I tried an app but it conflicted with both our them and with another app from the same company. So, "apps" would be bad enough if all they did was take your money, but then they don't work either. Shopify really needs to listen to their customers and implement this feature, which I think is pretty standard in ecommerce platforms.

brendonwbrown
Shopify Partner
15 1 19

It's a bit silly that this standard issue is not implemented already. I imagine this is simply a few lines of conditional code and a the standard barrage of testing.

This issue should not be marked as solved, and definitely takes my vote.

RicketyRose
Tourist
6 0 26

We also desperately need stackable discounts in order for our loyalty program to work. Please implement this!

mybellas-com
Excursionist
13 0 5

please add our vote for coupon stacking. This is crucial to our business. Had I known about this limitation before setting up our whole store, we may have gone with a different platform. Please do something for Shopify community

CCKami
Visitor
1 0 4

This is insane!!! Its a simple MUST have for any store> We would have never used shopify if we had know this simple feature is not available on it. Are you kidding us SHOPIFY???? Will be switching over for sure if this does not get solved...

BobFromAkron
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

Add my vote as well. In our case we would like to have 50% off black friday collection and 20% off other items. Using either auto discount or stacked coupon codes. 

Would be helpful to allow multiple auto-discounts at the same time (different products) with a priority setting. 

tsoverland
4 0 0

Please add us as well.  TY

MarkOnArt
Excursionist
17 1 12

Add one more to the list who want to see this. It's bonkers to me this isn't baked in already. I assumed that if a customer had an individual discount code it would replace the automatic one not make it unusable. I have an automatic discount for people buying multiple items. If I give them an individual discount I should have some sort of option where an individual discount either stacks on top or (what I assumed it did) gave them the better discount. I soon discovered that as long as the multiple item discount is active any others are useless. I shouldn't have to pay someone else for better discount codes. This should be included with Shopify's own code. There just needs to be some sort of decision tree that we're given control of. If two discounts exist, what happens, give us a button when we're setting up the code that asks if it stacks or if it's best deal between the discounts wins out. 

Thanks!

Mark

GrizzlyandGrit
Visitor
1 0 1
Please add my vote. I am currently trying to run a bogo deal on select items, but would also like to offer a percentage off on other items.
TFGroup
Visitor
1 0 2

Multiple discount codes at checkout is not simply a "request" by merchants, but it is essential to doing business during this pandemic.

I have researched the forums, and merchants have been asking for this feature for at least 4 years.  Every retail site aside from Shopify allows multiple codes at checkout, and yet, hundreds (maybe thousands) of merchants asking for this on this forum only gets a reply from Shopify like "Thanks! We'll make a note of your request!"   

This functionality needs to be implemented immediately to help save businesses.  I hope whoever is reading from Shopify this takes doesn't take this with a grain of salt. 

Kyle_CWW
Shopify Partner
4 0 8

How is this thread considered Solved?  Can we do multiple discounts at once now, No.  Has shopify told their customers sorry but we will not be coming out with this feature please see the following app, No.  Telling people great idea and yeah we'd like to see that too is not a resolution.

kuxtalmarket
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Peter,

I'm late to the game, but I would like to vote for multiple discounts.

Thanks,

Kasie

lexielexielexie
Tourist
3 0 2

hi i want this too please add my name

haydaw
Tourist
8 1 11

@Trevor 

Your peeps want updates.

Multiple discounts, let's make this happen. It's 2020.

Shopify is worth $128B and companies worth $10 are having to create code to fix your software.

Be the great shepherd that leads his herd to the almighty lands where we can run our business without the likes of troglodyte subscription services.

Thanks,

Hayden

MrLoot
Tourist
8 0 3

I want that option as well.

HANDMADEBYCHRIS
Visitor
2 0 5

Yes, this function would be great!  My Etsy site allows for multiple automatic discounts and it comes in handy as I offer different bulk discounts for an assortment of products.  To have work arounds for such a simple concept is tedious and cumbersome for the me and the consumer.  I am surprised that for such a large platform like Shopify that this is not a functionality and a 3rd party app is required...

CASE_BUDDY
Tourist
5 0 2

Come on, make this happen. This is important. 

Alice_O_Connell
Tourist
8 0 6

Hello,

I would like to add my request for stackable discounts to the tally - I am participating in several online events in lieu of in-person markets during the pandemic. I am trying to offer my mailing list exclusive perks, aka Free Shipping during these online events but am equally offering a BOGOF to everyone who orders during the event. I would like my mailing list to use both offers, rewarding them for their continued support and interest in my indie business.

Thanks,

Alice

Mirthala
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello Peter, 

Please add our vote as well, we would like this feature on our store.

Best,

Bohteam

KarthikN
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Peter

Would also like to vote for getting this added to standard shopify application

nikslauf
Visitor
2 0 1

I would also like my vote counted for this feature! Waiting for this to be possible! :))

CoffeeRoaster
Tourist
4 0 5

Add The Coffee Roaster to this list - pretty insane that this has been an issue for Shopify customers since this thread got started in 2019 and nothing has been done. 

We switched from Clover to Shopify and while we don't have any regrets, there are some huge hurdles we've had to jump through to provide our customers the same experience. 

What we want to do is SIMPLE. When a customer brings in a reusable container, we give them a $.50 discount. We want to be able to provide them that incentive while also using their rewards points or other coupons on our POS. 

As it is now, when we go to add multiple discounts, we can't - which has been discussed in depth on this thread. 

Common Shopify!

Achiel
Visitor
2 0 0

Count my vote too please.

Rudie_Errenrich
Tourist
6 0 5

Shopify is not going to include this guys. They might as well close this thread.

KetoChick
Visitor
1 0 0

This is an extremely important feature for my business.

I currently have an automatic discount for delivery on orders over $20 so I can’t offer people any other discounts.

Please fix this!

Thanks,

Christy

Hfreed
Tourist
4 0 1
Christy you can set up the free delivery in, settings delivery options. Above $20 free delivery. We have it set free delivery for all and free express delivery over £75. That way u can use one additional discount code as well. Still pathetic that shopify do not give us the stores the freedom to sell to our customers how we want to!
Daci93
Visitor
1 0 1

Peter, please add my name too!

I already offer free shipping over $85 but I wanted to offer a free filter mask if they spend over $100. Stackable discounts would definitely allow me to further my shop and I can't believe Shopify doesn't have this option, especially with holiday sales approaching I'd really like this feature!

DanLand
Visitor
1 0 1

Add my name also please.

JayTee
Visitor
2 0 6

I know this was a long time ago, but I’m still unable to use this feature and it would be super beneficial to both of my shopify stores that I run. We love to offer free shipping over a certain amount and also certain products with a percentage off at times. 

HKJ
Trailblazer
145 4 44

@JayTee wrote:

I know this was a long time ago, but I’m still unable to use this feature and it would be super beneficial to both of my shopify stores that I run. We love to offer free shipping over a certain amount and also certain products with a percentage off at times. 

Free shipping over a certain amount can be implemented without a discount code though the shipping and delivery sertings.

LoveeDuds
Visitor
1 0 0

Please add my vote as well! The current setup is limiting. I would love to combine an auto discount with a coupon code etc. More than one coupon code would be great too! 

citrushairsalon
Visitor
2 0 2

I agree with having a multiple discount option! This is quite annoying and it limits our ability to get creative with our offers. I don't want to be sending people gift cards to get an additional discount. That is not viable. Why does Shopify limit this??

pradeep_k_srvst
Visitor
1 0 2

Just a bit baffled to see this and moreover this post is marked as solved ????? why would someone mark this as solved 

sahilrattan
Tourist
4 0 4
Is this something hard to code in or is it something you guys are not willing to code in because you want us to use their party apps? That would be fine if they worked but even the Third party apps can’t do this!! Please help your customers and provide us with some feedback at the very least!
sahilrattan
Tourist
4 0 4
Also, does anyone else have a problem when offering customers free products for spending a certain amount? The customer has to place the free product in their cart before it is marked as free which is so weird! It should just automatically get added to their cart when the input the code right?
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 572 1315

@sahilrattan 

The customer has to place the free product in their cart before it is marked as free which is so weird! It should just automatically get added to their cart when the input the code right?

That type of feature needs an advanded theme customization and shopify is unlikely to bake that by default into themes for millions of stores.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

sahilrattan
Tourist
4 0 4

Then allow our developers to do it for the stores we run and operate. 
your entire discount section is totally inefficient. It confuses customers more than driving sales. 

Please, we need some help with this guys. Cant you see how many people are struggling right now. 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 572 1315

Then allow our developers to do it for the stores we run and operate. 

To make a more seamless free-item experience you will need to combine several areas starting with discounts:

For direct https://{{shop.name}}.myshopify.com/discount/{{discount_code}} 

For frontend ajax http://www.{{shop.name}}.com/collections/all/productname?discount={{discount_code}} etc

Possibly better to use first url structure then make redirects if needed

https://{{shop.name}}/discount/{{discount_code}}?redirect=/products/{{product_handle}}

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/promoting-marketing/discount-codes/managing-discount-codes#promot...

https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/rest/reference/discounts

https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/rest/reference/discounts

For other techniques, such as adding products automatically ,explore other discussions elsewhere in the forums

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Personallypaws1
Tourist
9 0 31

It is very frustrating that this has been marked as solved when so many customers have stressed the importance of this feature.

I love the platform but I agree with another customer that shopify was very customer oriented in the beginning but has begun to take more than they give.

Gofurnit
Tourist
5 0 1

Can we start an online petition with a link in this forum so we increase the pressure a bit on Shopify to deliver?

I did it here at OpenPetition, maybe you can join in and it changes something 

openpetition.de/!stksx

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 572 1315

@Gofurnit 

Can we start an online petition with a link in this forum so we increase the pressure a bit on Shopify to deliver?

As with all feature requests you are better off submitting it directly to shopify support.

Daniel808
Explorer
60 2 22

@PaulNewton 

As with all feature requests you are better off submitting it directly to shopify support.

This is clearly untrue, or we would have a solution by now. It's not like we asked last week, its literally been years. We are being ignored, plain and simple.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 572 1315

This is clearly untrue, or we would have a solution by now. It's not like we asked last week, its literally been years. We are being ignored, plain and simple.

Not how features work they cannot operate on wishful timelines, It takes time to add features that will impact millions of stores and interface with hundreds of payment gateways,services and platforms.

A wish is not a priority to the other million+ shopify merchants ,even a small percentage making features request is TENS OF THOUSANDS of different wishes for shopify to work on and priortize.

A prime example of new discount features having larger priority were more automatic-discount options, and improving BuyXgetY.

Even more "important" features like order editing took longer to be added.

Be consistent, provide example cases in the right places,, see if "votes" are being counted and then be patient.

Daniel808
Explorer
60 2 22

@PaulNewton 

Simply not true, sorry. There are requests going back to 2012 at least. This app offers a solution.

You're telling me Shopify can't do in 8 years what this app has achieved? Come on.. 

CraigR88
Visitor
2 0 0
This app doesn’t work, like the rest of the apps that claim to do this. It works maybe 90% of the time but not every time. Great if you’re low volume but we had many support tickets coming in every day saying discounts not working.

Bit the bullet and upgraded to Shopify Plus.

However I agree that Shopify can easily build this in, even with plus I’ve got to get w developer to write the code adding another £300 to the bill.