Solved

Multiple discount at checkout

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)
k8pinto
Tourist
3 0 1

Hey Peter, 

I am going to add my name to the 36 pages of requests for this feature, and not just for shops who can afford the most premium plan. As a new business, I would like to offer discounts for new memberships in addition to any current promotions. Seems like a pretty straightforward feature.

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

I mean the one thing you can do today, without any app: combine discount with gift card

Can gift cards be used in conjunction with a discount code?

Yes, gift cards are a form of payment.

From https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/gift-card-products/faq#can-a-gift-card-be-used-more-than...

AGradert
Visitor
1 0 1

I would also like to put my vote in for the stacking of discounts as well as having the Buy X Get Y function to have a hard dollar amount discount in addition to the percentage and free options, especially since the percentages MUST be whole numbers, which doesn't always align with pricings that stores offer.

twangypearl
Tourist
5 0 2

I would also LOVE to be able to do promotions on Shopify per collection:
That is storewide sales where by certain collections are a certain percentage off (not the same one - I just had a boxing day sale and had to discount WAY more than I needed or wanted in order to do a storewide sale which my customers are used to in the shop - couldn't have one on in the shop and a different online).

And now heading into the new year I've made the sale happen just in a sale collection but want to have the sale tiered:

Buy 1 piece get 30% off

Buy 2 pieces get 40% off

Buy 3 or more pieces get 50% off

(each piece - so not a BOGO)

So very frustrating and limiting - and VERY labour intensive to physically mark down all the products one by one.  

So so so much extra work - I sincerely hope this gets added to your development cycle as with more and more shops relying on their online to communicate to local customers this will become a major setback for lots of us.  There needs to be WAY more flexibility in putting things on sale.  Our first boxing day sale online (before all the things) we used an Ap and all I remember is it was a nightmare.  I would way rather you develop this in house so it just works.

Please add my name (with bells on and more bells on) to the list of PLEASE make this happen.  "All the things" made Free PIck up IN store and curbside pick up, and a robust POS happen almost overnight - even with pages of people asking for it on here for it felt like years before - please please please add this one to that list.

Britta
Tourist
6 0 7

I can recommend an app for this but it won’t work with any discount you have set up on Shopify as there is a setting in Shopify which stops this 😳

Mostafa_Kamel
Shopify Partner
22 0 7

Hi @twangypearl,

You can do that with Stack discounts app and use auto-apply coupons feature.

You will basically create 3 coupons for lets say product (A) with different quantity limit. There 3 coupons are:

- ProductA-30%Off (value: 30% - quantity limit: >= 1 piece)

- ProductA-40%Off (value: 10% - quantity limit: >= 2 piece)

- ProductA-50%Off (value: 10% - quantity limit: >= 3 piece)

That way if a customers purchase 2 pieces, then they will get 30% "ProductA-30%Off" and 10% "ProductA-40%Off" which means = 40% off.
If 3 pieces or more then 30%+10%+10% = 50% ..

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Britta
Tourist
6 0 7

There are different apps that allow you to create discounts but if you then offer a discount code for new sign ups, a welcome discount or a seasonal discount through shopify it wont allow the discounts to be calculate 😞
It shows in shopify that this feature is disabled so it needs to be enabled from shopify

Rodd_
Excursionist
19 0 13

Hello Peter, 

Please add me to the vote for stackable discounts! Although, I have not opened shop yet this would be tremendous for me to use and allow me more time to focus on other areas of the business rather than going in and partially refunding clients.

Toptimask
Visitor
2 0 1

43 pages now. Hope there will be a good news

Discoverytrek
Excursionist
21 0 18

Please add our vote to stackable discounts.

thanks

optizio
Shopify Partner
12 0 5

Sammy from Optizio here. We've built an application which we hope can be the start to solving this problem once and for all!

Stacking discounts can in reality be extremely complicated, especially when you think of stacking multiple BXGY discounts that impact the same basket items - the computer science that underpins a correct solution to this type of problem is normally only a 'good enough' approximation (if not, it would take potentially minutes, days, weeks, years, hundreds of years to compute!).

Our solution works by combining many promotions into one discount code at the point of checkout. When a customer adds an item to the basket, the full basket is sent to a discounting engine which calculates what discount should be applied to each line item or how far away a promotion is from being applied. This doesn't create draft orders, nor does it create a sales channel. It goes through the normal Shopify checkout flow.

Of course, there is a list of caveats and this is by no means the finished product. Our discount engine is built to Shopify's own discount data models and integrating with Shopify discount codes fully is the long term goal. Currently, we are missing compatibility with 'Customer tagging', 'BXGY based on spend (instead of quantity)', 'Scheduling'. Alas, for now, you must specify the rules of the promotion within the application while we build out full compatibility.

There's some discussion of price in this thread and of course there will be certain stores that can justify the price, and others that cannot. We personally believe in a pay as you grow model, and this is something we want to work towards! (We're currently working on the details of a cheaper package).

We don't require a subscription to create a group of promotions and test them in a preview mode on your store (end to end!). It would be extremely helpful to the team for anyone frustrated by this problem to give the 'preview' a whirl and give us some really detailed feedback, to make sure we're heading in the right direction!

Stackable: https://apps.shopify.com/stackable-discounts

Britta
Tourist
6 0 7

Hi Sammy, 
that is great news on your app. We use a similar app to allow multiple discounts but the problem within shopify still exists as it is the actual shopify platform which prevents you using a code in shopify along with discounts from an app. I m not a technical guru but I am sure it cannot be that difficult for shopify to allow the option of multiple discounts and the problem would be solved (looks like I am not the only one with that request!)

optizio
Shopify Partner
12 0 5

Thanks Britta!

Trust me, I fully understand the frustration here! But applying multiple discounts, which may impact the same line item is truly not a trivial task. I'll try my best to explain why! I speak as someone who has worked on solving this problem in the Shopify ecosystem for the last 6 months, and also as someone who was part of a team which built a similar system for Pizza Hut.

Keep in mind, Shopify discount codes allow you to target collections, which can be automatically updated (this is probably the most powerful feature of Shopify imo). This makes it most likely very difficult to make sure there are no overlapping discounts at line item level (collections can contain huge numbers of products, and products can be a part of a huge number of collections - which makes this computationally extremely expensive).

If we want multiple discounts to apply at a line item, then things suddenly become a whole lot more complicated.

Let's say you have 10% off collection A and $5 off collection B. Item A (priced at $10) exists in both collection A and collection B. Depending on the order in which these are applied, you will either get a saving of $5.50 OR $6. Now imagine these same calculations, but throwing in BXGY, minimum requirements etc!

Two possible solutions:
1.) Shopify allows you to describe the order in which these discounts apply
2.) Only the discount with the largest saving applies

Both of these would require a rework of their discounting engine, or at least an addition to it!

Next, both of these solutions have a UX problem for the end customer. How are they informed of why a certain deal has applied, over another?

Shopify for sure has the technical capabilities to solve this type of problem, so why haven't they done it? Well, I think the first answer is that the UX is extremely difficult to get right. Both from a merchant point of view and an end customer point of view.

Secondly, the Shopify ecosystem is built around applications. Shopify's premise is to provide the solid foundational technology and to build a selection of applications on top that provide all the goodies. Personally, I think this is a very smart approach, and means their tech teams can focus on building that resilient platform! Other engineering teams can then focus on subsets of problems. Note they have financial gain here also - and certainly part of the reason for not providing extensive functionality is to ensure that the Plus option is viable.

NKARTHIK246
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi,

When paid apps are able to address UX issue with ease, Shopify should also be able to address it by taking clues. 

thanks. 

HIC-Cynthia
Tourist
4 0 12

It's February 2021 and I still don't see a way to do this... ? 

This is an important functionality that is missing. Many of us have products where it makes sense to say "buy 2 or more and get x% off"  for the product always. But we also need to be able to run sales and use other discount codes along with this way of offering our product "bundle". If you aren't going to provide a way for us to set up a product to sell with the different price for different quantities, then you need to allow us to apply the automatic discount along with other discounts. 

This is so clearly an important functionality that is missing. 

Please add my vote on the importance of this.

thanks,

c-

JessicaBulldog
Tourist
5 0 5
Hi Cynthia

As far as we can all see I don’t think the shopify has come up with a solution for this yet which is SUPER annoying. However, there is a third-party app that does allow this. I haven’t incorporated it into my store yet because I’m not sure if there’s a limitation to how many discounts you can stack but I know you definitely can stack them using the app.

https://apps.shopify.com/coupon-stacker

alendrew
Visitor
2 0 1

As far as we can all see I don’t think the shopify has come up with a solution for this yet which is SUPER annoying. However, there is a third-party app that does allow this. I haven’t incorporated it into my store yet because I’m not sure if there’s a limitation to how many discounts you can stack but I know you definitely can stack them using the app.

https://apps.shopify.com/coupon-stacker 

Thank you so much Jessica for sharing the app. It really work for me.

Peppermintation
Visitor
2 0 0

Please also add my vote, we desperately need this feature!

Hfreed
Tourist
4 0 1

Wow I can’t believe I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to get my new store to offer various discounts. Buy one get a second with a discount, also add another product with another discount etc. After the most frustrating effort of trying about 6 apps (why can’t the apps be more honest at the outset and say yes we have the best app but it won’t work if you want to offer multiple discounts, would have saved so much time) I am as close with digismoothie who have two apps candy cart and candy rack which allegedly may work with their workaround. But have advised it’s not them that don’t want to fix it but shopify who don’t allow it. Why would shopify not want to add the feature? It can’t be because of apps as I for one would still want to use an app as it has a better user experience for both myself but more importantly for my customers. Shopify just need to add some code to allow the apps to function for multiple discounts. So disappointed to have gone down this path and realise it’s actually shopify that prevents me operating my store as I wish too!!!!!

David_T8
Tourist
3 0 3

Count my vote too please.

CeciliaPP
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Peter! We're having an issue with the discounts. We've created a new discount for a group of users and in the Shopify page says that the it can't combine with other automatic discounts (Customers won’t be able to enter a code if an automatic discount is already applied at checkout.) 

However, we have now a sale of 45% off and we're seeing that the discount is being applied over the 45% off. That shouldn't be happening, if the discount we created has worked correctly avoiding the combination of discounts, right?

How can we make sure that the special discount given to a group of users, is not applied in products that already have a discount?

Thanks!

dannyelo
Shopify Partner
180 37 36

Hello Peter,

My use case is:

AUTOMATIC DISCOUNT: I want to have a 30% base discount (forever).

MANUAL DISCOUNT: If user set a manual discount code, it replaces the 30% discount and sets the new discount for example 40% or 50%.

This is not a stacking discounts, but more like a discount replacement.

Could you please tell me if I can achieve this functionality or is part of the same problem in this discussion?

Thanks,

❤️ Enjoyed my Shopify customization assistance? If I've helped you achieve your goals, consider showing your appreciation with a coffee tip! It means the world to me! ️ Thank you!
Buy me a coffee here
donnamac
Trailblazer
240 5 171

This is just an idea.

If you want your store to show that ALL your products are always discounted,
   -when your add the product, enter the full retail in the Compare at Price, and the 30% off price in Price
         (that will display on your site looking like it is already on sale)
   - then add a discount code to the site and it will take the ADDITIONAL discount off the already discounted price

Is that the result you are looking for?

dannyelo
Shopify Partner
180 37 36

Thanks, that could work for me 🙂

❤️ Enjoyed my Shopify customization assistance? If I've helped you achieve your goals, consider showing your appreciation with a coffee tip! It means the world to me! ️ Thank you!
Buy me a coffee here
Inspira_Digital
Shopify Expert
135 3 5

@dannyelo Please reach out to our team here  https://inspiradigital.co.uk/ if you havent already 

Twiiter: http://twitter.com/inspiradigital Website Development: https://www.inspiradigitial.co.uk B2B https://www.inspiradigital.co.uk/our-services/b2b-ecommerce-on-shopify
CM269901
Tourist
4 0 8

Hi Peter,

I too want to vote for this stacking coupon feature. 

Thanks

Courtney

Thewaterbrand20
Tourist
10 0 2

Please add mine to the list too. They enrol to the subscribe list and they can't add a double discount ... not fair 

Twobadbears
Tourist
6 0 1

Hello 

I am a bit stuck on a code.  I want to offer wax melts £4.95 each or 3 for £10 - it works if you add 3 - however, if you add 6 it only deducts 1 discount.  If you untick the box to use only once - it discounts nearly everything and you end up with a bill instead of £20 a bill of 60p ...?  

What can I do? 

Thanks 

Phil 

BLKPNTS1
Excursionist
21 0 15

Hey Phil,

I think you might be able to get around by making the discount work as over 3 items, market as 3 for 10 but in actual fact if they will still get 4 for 13.33 rather than 14.95. That's what I do.

Twobadbears
Tourist
6 0 1

I went for buy 2 get 1 free in the end.  That seems to work!  Thanks for getting back to me - Much appreciated! 

HKJ
Trailblazer
145 4 44
Alternatively, you can put a 3 pack as a variant.
Twobadbears
Tourist
6 0 1

That's actually  a good idea - I want to create bu does.  But suspect I need an app for the stock control  of that. 

hasanbigali
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Trevor,

Could you share this request ticket for us to upvote too.

Thanks.

sasharowles
Visitor
2 0 3

This feature would be very helpful if added by Shopify. Feel free to add me to the list too !!!!!

gimmefood
Excursionist
12 0 36

Love the fact that this thread is marked as "solved". Talk about destroying expectations..... please add my vote as well lol 

Sels31
Visitor
2 0 2

52 pages of requests for 2 years but still not solved 🙂

ADD ME TO THE LIST

Mitchellsmith
Tourist
5 0 7

I, too, would like this feature implemented. Shopify could if they wanted... 

vitalsetas
Visitor
1 0 1

Trevor, this thread has been open for more than 2 years and still Shopify has not addressed this important issue. Please add my vote. So disappointed Shopify doesn't take their clients seriously.

Shopporium
Tourist
5 1 2

Over 56 pages in this thread, and still nothing about this feature being implemented. That is really sad and huge let down to your customers tbh.

All other shop platforms other this as a basic thing, why do you limit yours? Its almost like you get % of sales of third party apps

Hope this is gets looked at asap!

michealcarroll
Visitor
1 0 4

This is a sorely missed function that many of my clients are requesting as this is widely available on other platforms - clients are not inclined to purchase another 3rd party app to solve this issue - I struggle to understand why this cannot be implemented into the Shopify platform

davebee
Visitor
1 0 0

Please add me to this feature request, thank you!

Anthony_Jackson
Shopify Partner
245 2 11

If you want to discount products and shows discount price on all page, our app is the best choice. Don't forget to install Discount Master. It's helpful for sure.

banned

Anthony_Jackson
Shopify Partner
245 2 11

You can show a discount Buy 1st product X to get 2nd product X off 10% with our upsell app

banned

SableBoutique
Visitor
1 0 2

Yes please add my vote. This is hugely important for running an up sell/bundle discount campaign and incentive points system together which is huge for ecommerce. I also run an exit intent with discount which customers cannot use if they are pairing it with a bundle!

Come on Shopify, we really need this feature ASAP.

aj007
Excursionist
33 0 71

There's years of merchant pleas for multiple discount support on this forum, so presumably it's a 'monumental task' for Shopify (but strangely not other shopping sites... hmmm).

Could Shopify at least 'start small' and allow both 1 automatic and 1 manual discount on the same order? Lots of us want to offer basic volume discounts (as they save everybody on shipping costs and effort, etc.) automatically, plus discretionary rewards for new/repeat customers, promos and such.

The usual Shopify cop-out of 'buy an app for that' doesn't work, as people in this thread have explained those apps conflict with other apps.

KaumStore
Visitor
1 0 1

Count me in for this!

Multiple automatic discount is very common practice. People buy 2 get xx disc AND get more disc if they buy 3 or 4 or any number that a store want to give for the customer... and this can be happened at the same time... this is how retail doing their promotion... this is not something new... even before online shop, this multiple disc type of promotion running in the same time has been a common practice for conventional retail store... 

bathroomvillage
Excursionist
12 0 15

Please add my vote to the list.

We would like to have set automatic discounts on our products all year round like 20% off, then allow an extra 5% off discount code on Black Friday etc.

Steve_Brown_UK
Shopify Partner
3 0 31

Stunned that this is still not built in to Shopify. This thread runs to 11 pages. Please add me to the vote.

ludicrouslumens
Visitor
1 0 2

I am almost done with shopify,every little thing that should be simple & generally is with my last provider means jumping through multiple hoops 😞

The fact that this isn't a thing is downright embarrassing,thats without all the non existent core features that need multiple 3rd party apps to make a reality.

Inga042876
Tourist
5 0 15
@Pete We are done with Shopify and going to start an evaluation of alternative options. I originally posted here asking for stackable discounts almost 6 months ago and in the last 6 months there was zero movement on this and other features important to us. Meanwhile there are constantly new useless features and services being implemented. Yesterday we spent all day responding to customer inquiries about inability to combine our Black Friday automatic discount with free shipping over certain amount coupon. We had to issue refunds and offer gift cards to customers we didn't want to loose and tell others that our system won't allow multiple discounts. We know that we lost some sales yesterday because of it and its mind boggling how Shopify doesn't recognize this as an issue and remains oblivious to the issues faced by the retailers on it's platform.
As to the third party apps that may solve multiple discounts problem - we tried many of them. In the last 6 months we were down for days due to the subscription app not syncing with Shopify and were notified by a customer that add to cart button wasn't available. We lost sales revenue during that time as well as marketing dollars that were spent while site was not working. We also had to uninstall loyalty app because it was impacting performance. So third party app strategy that Shopify is pursuing working out really well for retailers.