Solved

Multiple discount at checkout

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)
Natasha_Hinds
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello Peter, Please add me to the list. 

According to this article, 97% of consumers are always looking for a deal. https://www.coredna.com/blogs/ecommerce-promotion-strategy

I would like to add an incentive for my customers to purchase, 2, 3, 4, and 5 items, etc.  Since customers like to save, we should make it easier for our customers to save more by purchasing more products from us.  It's a Win-Win for our customers and Shopify store owners.

Thanks

Natasha

wokeface
Visitor
2 0 3

Please "add me to the list" although this thread looks pretty old. And definitely not solved, so I'm not sure why it is marked as such.

GillottEnt
Visitor
2 0 0

Please add my vote to this list. This is a very important element that I feel like needs to get vetted and implemented ASAP.

Hugo_Parnell
Visitor
2 0 1

Please add my vote to this feature request. It makes it very challenging to compete with other businesses in our market that do not run into this problem because they are not using your service in the first place. It seems counter productive to leave this feature out as it is a standard for many other e-commerce services.

It does not fill us with confidence when we are locked into a system (Shopify) and then not have to option to change due to the lack of these features because we have cemented our shop's foundation into this service. 

EMARKETKW
Visitor
1 0 3

Please add my vote for stacking discount codes 

alexsandler
Visitor
1 0 0

Peter Thanks for your response! 

I would also really appreciate the added discounts, because we offer a % and sometimes free shipping as well and it's been really hard having to calculate both and then add a new discount for each customer

John_Hurtle
Visitor
1 0 1

please add my name to the request....and your suggestion about gift-cards is a good one BUT AGAIN....Shopify nickle and diming us...NEED to UPGRADE plan in order to use that feature...so now your gift-card suggestion falls to the waste side as another one bites the dust idea. Just give us the stack feature and be done with it.

MauriceG
Visitor
1 0 1

What is it going to take to get stackable discounts?  This is CRAZY!  For the money we pay, you disable our business by limiting us in this way?  SIX pages of requests and nothing!  This is not "solved".  Peter...Shopify...ANYONE...PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

martinhalik
Shopify Partner
34 0 19

Hello,

also please add me on this feature request. Thanks. Or an option to remove a discount and enter coupon code.

Best,
Martin H.

Nevil
Shopify Partner
3 0 4

Please add my +1 for this feature. 

Please everyone calm down a bit, this guy is doing his very best it seems. You can't just demand the world to change to your tune at an instant. 

Kay14
Visitor
2 0 0

Please add my vote to the list too. Not being able to stack discount codes is really limiting. If I'm running a sale, but also want to offer free express shipping for those who abandoned cart, for example, I am unable to do this. Please bring in stackable discount codes!

phenixwars
Tourist
3 0 1

I just came out with 3 new products and installed a tier pricing app that applies auto-generated discount codes in order to apply the tiered pricing discounts on the whole collection. It works great! Except I wanted to send out an announcement email with a discount coupon to my previous customers, and then I realized that they wouldn't be able to use it anyway because the tiered discount code would get cancelled out. Now I have to either find a tiered pricing app that doesn't generate codes but works with collection discounts and ajax... or figure something else out.

Please add my vote for stacked discount codes 🙂 Hopefully they'll listen to us. I don't see it being a huge thing to implement code-wise.

cfalberto
Visitor
3 0 0

HI there, this is a problem, we need to accept the posibility to customers to combine discounts if we want

@Trevor wrote:

Hey, there!

Peter here from Shopify Support. 

At this time, Shopify doesn't currently offer "stackable" discounts in that, only one discount code can be used per order. That said, I know this is a wanted feature by many and something I'd love to see added to the platform. For this, I've gone ahead and added your vote to the existing feature request to show our teams there is further interest in implementing this in a future update. 

In the meantime, if you're subscribed to the Shopify plan, then you could consider offering your customers a gift card with the balance of the discount code you wish to offer them. Alternatively, you could partially refund their orders or use apps like Locksmith to lock down specific marked down products so that only your preferred customers can access the discounted prices. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best,

Peter
Shopify Support

@Trevor wrote:

Hey, there!

At this time, Shopify doesn't currently offer "stackable" discounts in that, only one discount code can be used per order. That said, I know this is a wanted feature by many and something I'd love to see added to the platform. For this, I've gone ahead and added your vote to the existing feature request to show our teams there is further interest in implementing this in a future update. 

In the meantime, if you're subscribed to the Shopify plan, then you could consider offering your customers a gift card with the balance of the discount code you wish to offer them. Alternatively, you could partially refund their orders or use apps like Locksmith to lock down specific marked down products so that only your preferred customers can access the discounted prices. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best,

Peter
Shopify Support

trevm
Visitor
1 0 0

We need multiple automatic discounts and stackable/combined discounts at checkout.

hearthblankets
Visitor
1 0 3

please add my vote for coupon stacking. This is crucial to our business. Had I known about this limitation before setting up my whole store, I may have gone with a different platform.

ShayMD
Tourist
9 0 7
Ditto. Now considering a change due to this limitation.
Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

Hello, everyone. 

Thank you for your continued interest and feedback to getting stackable discounts added to the platform. I wanted to take the time to let all the newcomers know that your votes and use cases (if provided) have been added to the feature request. For future votes, I will continue to proactively add them to the ballot as they come in.

Rudie_Errenrich
Tourist
6 0 5

Please add my vote as well.

I run a loyalty program where I have added some code to my store that will work out what discount set to apply based on the tag a user has. I now want to add another discount code on a specific product but this now over writes the previous loyalty discount. So stackable discount codes in today's e-commerce environment is really a must have option.

LoveinCA
Excursionist
14 0 41

Why do I have the funny feeling that Shopify isnt taking any "ballot/votes" to add this feature, and are just saying this to shut us all up?

This feature request has been going on for years now.....in multiple threads.....

topdog3000
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi Peter, 

Please add our vote to this request - we would be using these in numerous ways to reward repeat customers via our loyalty program in combination with seasonal offers.

The suggestion of locksmith is a good one but we offer highly personalised products which we have already had to develop custom code to handle, this if we are offering free engraving on first-time purchases while this could be tracked in locksmith it would create the issue of having to rewrite this code entirely or alter it significantly. 

Many thanks in advance.

Liz014
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Peter

Please add my vote towards having the option of allowing buyers to use more than one coupon at a time.

Thanks

Liz

DrKnotJewellery
Tourist
3 0 3

Please add me to the list! Or maybe even better would be adding a link to the page where people can vote for themselves...

lafauxmagerie
Tourist
7 0 17

Hi Peter,

Can you please give us an ETA on when stackable discounts will be added to Shopify? There are tonnes of businesses on this thread who are asking for this feature but we've not had any kind of detailed answer as to when or whether this will be fixed at all. 

It's really not acceptable for an online retail platform not to have what us paying customers would consider quite a basic function, and I'm really not happy with this solution at all. Given the lack of detail in the responses I've had from customer services on Chat, e.g. "we don't have a date but we know people want it", makes me question whether anything is actually being done at all, or whether Shopify want us to have to download these expensive apps to solve the lack of functionality.

Thank you,

Rachel

Ryan_Lenox
Visitor
1 0 0

You can add Lenox.com to the list......this is a feature that some of the bigger companies joining Shopify would love to have also...

@Trevor wrote:

Hey, there!

All the best,

Peter
Shopify Support

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15

My guess is that Shopify will NEVER build multiple discounts as an option so I had to bite the bullet and subscribe to an app. Multiple discounts is a must for my business. The app that I'm using I'm 1000% happy with just don't like the $30 a month I have to pay for it but I truly believe it's helped my business. What I like most about it is, my customers do not have to enter any codes. I can now offer a % discount + gift item for $$ spent + upsell w/a discount + a bundle discount all on one order. The app is Ultimate Special Offers. If you are desperate you may want to check them out. NOTE: there are apps that conflict with this app. I sent tech support a list of all my apps asking which ones could cause problems and they were very detailed in the response. Here are apps that I removed for this app: Volume & Tiered Discounts, Smile: Rewards & Loyalty, Sales Notification | Sales Pop, Popup Upsell - Sales Pop up and KartDiscount. For me and my business it's worth every penny. Just throwing this out there for those that may decide to go the route I did.

LoveinCA
Excursionist
14 0 41

Rewill (above) is 100% correct.

Shopify will never update this feature "out of the box" for their platform for all to use. They will however possibly create their own 3rd party app for this (for a fee/paid) or maybe put it in their PLUS plan (top tier paid plan) so it motivates people to upgrade to a higher shopify plan.

But something this useful and obviously "wanted" this much...they wont give it away for free. 

if you look hard enough, youll see the countless other threads on this board where people have been asking for this feature/functionality for years.....and youll also see Shopifys candid responses for "oh great idea! We will make note of it and forward it to our team as a future request!"

Shopify is here to make money, ....this feature (if they DO roll it out in the next 2-3 years) wont be for free.

mybellas-com
Excursionist
13 0 5
I agree what you said LoveinCA I don’t think nobody’s asking for free everybody’s paying Shopify fee to use the service we just start using Ultimate Special Offers end it looks and it’s working good, But some little companies starting up or working from home They can’t pay extra app like our company paying $49/ month or like Rewill paying $29/ month but you have to make a decision if that’s critical for your business to bring more sales. You would think If they build app for multiple discount it will bring more revenue to Shopify and users and Shopify will Process more orders That means more transaction fee and more fraud protect fee But most likely they won’t do anything if they didn’t do it within 3 years
Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

Hi everyone,

I wanted to chime in again to let everyone know that your votes have been accounted for and added to the existing feature request. At this time, I do not have any further information to share, so I will be monitoring this topic only until there is more to share.

If we can avoid speculation, however, and remain on topic with valid use cases for why this feature is valuable, that would be great. Please note that aggressive, personal attacks or unrelated replies will be removed per our Community Guidelines.  

To recap, I know this feature is in high demand and with every vote, I continue to stress the urgency with our product teams; however, like any feature, it can take time to allocate resources needed to create, test and implement it. If an update is provided to me, all of you will be the first to know here on this thread. Thank you for your continued patience while we work towards improving our platform.

mybellas-com
Excursionist
13 0 5
Hello Peter

Thank you for keeping us updated and listening to use, because every company or individual who works from home wants to grow with Shopify.
MarkRegion
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your support on this.  I too would like to add my vote to this feature.  It would really help our business as we have brand ambassadors who give a discount but many of our items have a quantity discount so it is an either/or situation.

Hopefully, you will be able to get some traction with this one.

Mark

RicketyRose
Tourist
6 0 26

Hi Peter,

It's great to see that Shopify are taking notice of this request. I think that a brief overview of what we've tried to do might clarify the problem. We occasionally offer a promotional discount code and we also have an automatic wholesale discount. We've never had a customer try to apply both and even if they did I think either/or would be fine. The problem started for us when we wanted to introduce a loyalty program. These all seem to work by generating a discount code, based on points that a customer has earned from purchases (or at least all the apps within our budget, we didn't try anything over $50 per month). Shopify's discount limitation means that the customer can't use a promotional code (or automatic wholesale code) in addition to their loyalty discount (for example if they'd earned £1 off). There's worst to come...when setting up what to give as a reward, it makes sense to set 100 points = £1,   500 points= £5 etc. The problem with this is that if a customer has earned, say, 700 points they'll end up with 3 codes which have to be separately applied to 3 orders. In theory we could set up a reward of 700 points =£7 etc etc to get around this but it would generate an unwieldy number of options. 

We trialled several loyalty programs, in conjunction with several apps which were supposed to allow discount stacking and couldn't find any combination which worked. In all cases we contacted the developers to see if they could offer a solution and they all appear as frustrated by it as we are. Some other posts on this board have indicated that a solution can be found by  paying for an app, but we haven't found that to be the case. We thought long and hard before bothering with a loyalty program at all, since I'm sure that telling customers they can't use a code and loyalty points at the same time will annoy some people, and this is obviously counter-productive! For us, it means that our highest spending customers who always take advantage of the automatic wholesale discount will never be able to spend their loyalty points!

I hope that helps. Happy to clarify anything,

Kind regards,

Sharon

GlowingOrchid
Tourist
9 0 17

Spot on Sharon!

There's no app that actually solves this issue, it's just researched 'solutions' we've been given that don't actually work to solve our issue 😄 I've seen this happen multiple times with shopify support requests. "There's an app for that." It's quite tiresome going down the rabbit hole of adding apps to find out they don't even solve your issue or conflict with other parts of your store. Shopify is a great platform but the way customer support is handled sometimes or feature requests can really build up a lot of frustration.

It really doesn't help that this request has been added to the list but theres zero indication as to how far up the list it is. Will it be 2 months, 2 years, or 20 years until it's implemented? 

Shrug.

jackbru
Visitor
1 0 1

Hey Peter,

Thanks for being an advocate for us. I would like to add my name to the list of customers hoping coupon stacking becomes a reality.

Cheers.

Jack

ModNations
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, 

i can see that a lot of people are requesting for this feature, has this been implemented?

i have just done a quick test and i cannot create multiple automated discount on the same day, 

Thanks

poi

Meghan_Currie
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Peter, I would also like to be added to the list of voting for stackable discount codes. This is because of another issue I am having. I offer Local Pick Up (for free) and Shipping (for $9.95) under $100 and the cheapest option is always automatically selected (which is Local Pick Up) so if someone is checking out fast and/or just wants to choose the free option they just leave the Local Pick Up option selected. I want there to be a way where I can choose which option is automatically selected so I don't have to keep getting the answer "oh I didn't realize I chose local pick up!" Now I know if a customer has to physically click it from paid Shipping to free Local Pick Up they can't use that excuse anymore and it will cause less headaches for me. 

So now I'm thinking if I just offered a LOCALPICKUP coupon that offers free shipping it would be another way to solve this problem, but then my customers can't use a discount at the same time.

Please offer any tips you may have to solve my problem, or is there a solution I am not seeing? Thank you.

bathroomvillage
Excursionist
12 0 15

Hi meghan,

We had exactly the same issue with free local collection defaulting to first, we are on plus and managed to get a script to swap the order. (Not sure this is helpful but the only solution we found at the time)

acasademont
Shopify Partner
9 0 12

We really need this one too, it's quite amazing that we can't have 2 promotions at the same time with different and stackable discounts

Meghan_Currie
Visitor
3 0 0

Thank you for letting me know about a custom script. I guess I can see if someone can do this for me. Never thought of that! Thanks! 🙂

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15
Peter, hope you can understand our scepticism since this is a must have feature and this request is now 3 years old. The world thrives on discounts and Shopify is limiting our ability to grow our business.
MarkJames1
Visitor
2 0 8

We have a busy eCommerce website and it was a fine line choosing Shopify over other options. Things like this can easily persuade us to drop Shopify and move the site elsewhere

echoesjenni
Visitor
1 0 0

Where do I go to vote for adding this feature?

Dams-Care
Excursionist
25 0 3

I agree, this is a must !

aleaung
Visitor
1 0 0

It's disappointing to see that this has be requested for almost a year-long a no one at Shopify seems to be doing anything to make it happen.

JuniperGrove
Visitor
1 0 0
Just thought I would pile on. Our shop would like to automatically offer free shipping for minimum order amount, but also offer other buy X get Y discounts as well. I don’t see how this is ‘solved’. If it is, please restate the solution.
Boutique1780
Tourist
5 0 17

It's pretty clear this is a desired feature and still not available. I am currently running an automatic discount on clearance items and offering free shipping on orders over $50, but my customers are unable to use the discount code for free shipping if their order contains clearance items. 

bajinn
Visitor
2 0 0

Such a basic feautre...

I wonder what's causing Shopify to ignore ALL if their customers which are clearly thirsty for this.

Anyway... I vote +1 as well.

Good luck to all of you dear sellers and others.

dlr22
Tourist
8 0 4

+1 for this as well.  However, it is pretty specific that this is with regard to automatic discounts.  I can't even seem to stack discounts when they are all manual.  Is this an issue I'm having or does the limitation also apply to manual discounts?  If so, these limitations should not be so specific as this is misleading.

Editing to say that I've learned it does apply to manual and automatic.  The verbiage on the discount page IS misleading, though. "Can't combine with other automatic discounts" implies that manual discounts can be combined. 

Tom_Fleischer
Visitor
2 0 0

Count me in as a +1 for this feature request

OishiiMarket
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Peter, Please add me to the vote as well.

WJWJ
Visitor
1 0 1

Peter, please add my +1 vote for this feature.

It seems like a lot of people have been wanting this feature for at least a year on this discussion. A simple google search shows that many others have searched this question from years before. A feature like this is essential during sales seasons, especially right now with Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Holiday Deals. We want to keep the discounts we were offering before active while allowing our customer to get an additional x% off certain products or entire orders, especially around this time of the year. I'm sure SOMEONE at Shopify could implement this feature pretty quickly...I think we all appreciate you taking the time to inform your team that this is a highly requested function, but it's just frustrating that there's no indication to when we can expect it to be implemented. It seems like this feature should be a core function of any e-commerce platform...And as many have noted before, the usual Shopify response of "There's an app for that" is often an inadequate, ineffective, or completely unrelated solution to many issues brought up, including this one. Even when it does provide a viable workaround certain problems, having to continuously search for third-party apps for functions that should really be built-in to Shopify can be tiring and frustrating.