Multiple discount at checkout

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 10

@PaulNewton since you're so into providing work around solutions, please help me with mine. I have an ever running automatic discount (spend $$ and get %% off), which I'm never going to remove. I want to give the trade/designers and abandoned carts an extra 5% off on top of the automatic discount. How do I do this without adding some janky app?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 343

@EG1264 wrote:

I have an ever running automatic discount (spend $$ and get %% off), which I'm never going to remove. I want to give the trade/designers and abandoned carts an extra 5% off on top of the automatic discount.

Turn them into manual discounts codes(MDC) and apply them to the cart using frontend techniques.

Then it's much simpler since then a cart, or abandoned cart recovery(ACR) won't trigger an automatic discount preventing application of the desired MDC.

But why? Automatic discounts(AD) behaviors: 

• Can only have 1 active AD on a store
  • AD's take priority over manual discounts, so if you put manual discount on an ACR url even if it's eligible it won't work as the AD gets applied first.
  • No method to suppress AD's in preference for manual discounts
  • No setting to make MDC's the priority'
  • AD's have limited conditional logic, so cannot be for for a specific customer group(such as those with an ACR).
  • AD's have no exclusion rules - so cannot setup to ignore customers in a customer group or tag(such as those without an ACR).
  • checkout_scripts are only a shopifyPlus feature

So if you want to add more to a percentage discount such as 5% to 20% just make a 25% off discount.  

Note: (1000-25% = 750) is not (1000-20%)-5% = 760, adjust accordingly if dealing with expensive items andor narrow margins.

Add a discount to the /cart form to be applied when customer checks out:

{% if cart.subtotal > 100000 %}
 <input type="hidden" name="discount" value="QUARTEROFFAC">
{% endif %}

or use a meta refresh using the direct url method with optional redirect /discount/CODE?redirect=/new-path

Appended a MDC to the cart recovery link for manual sharing.or adding it to the ACR email template.

Cart Recover Link(CRL) with discount code example:

https://shopify.com/8595542/checkouts/74e27a62812e3fcdf67796d1a8bde1b1/recover?key=f1asdf015qwert314&discount=QUARTEROFFAC
💣Avoid using special characters in your discount names so that your discount names add correctly to y...

Here QUARTEROFFAC was used instead of 25%OFFAC because you must remember to url encode percent signs(%) to (%25) when putting them in urls like if your sharing them in fb messenger, so 25%OFFAC would become 25%25OFFAC  in a url|link. Test it without encoding in a test abandoned cart to see the failure which at time of writing is still a HTTP ERROR 400.

Edit ACR email templates to include discounts shopify.com/admin/email_templates/abandoned_checkout_notification/edit

Looking for a line similar to this: 

<a href="{{ url }}" class="button__text">Items in your cart</a>

Update it to:

<a href="{% if url contains '?' %}{{ url | append: '&discount=QUARTEROFFAC"' }}{% else %}{{ url | append: '?discount=QUARTEROFFAC"' }}{% endif %}" class="button__text">Items in your cart</a>

Also replace {{shop.url}} with that change, see docs for more instruction: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/discounts/discounts-for-abandoned-checkout-recovery-emails

💣Remember to test when making changes to notification templates don't just preview the sample and call it day.

Since rules and filters aren't included in either the or customer export, or discount export;  Here are some recommended settings to manually create:

Conditions for ACR manual discounts should probably be set to:

• "Limit to one use per customer"
  • if your vetting customers use 'Specific groups of customers" using "AbandonedCart" group as explained below.

Optionally create a customers group, aka customers saved search, in shopify.com/admin/customers for existing customers

• using "more filters" > "Abandoned checkout" > "Last 90 Days"* 
  • Alternatively for manual approval or tag automation use customer tags like abandonedcart, abandonedcarteligible,etc to make the customer search filter.
  • Save as "AbandonedCart"** or similar.

*ACR isn't possible after ~3 months"

**If you recreate a customer group to have new rules|filters remember to go into the discount and delete the old group even though it looks right then browse and re-add it. When you delete replace a customer group the labels may stay the same but the underlying ID for the search group changes but does not propagate that info to other systems.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 10

As I said in my previous post, I'm never removing my automatic discount. I've tested automatic discounts versus manual discount codes and my automatic discounts get me a lot more sales (with automatic discounts customers see the discount in their cart instead of having to wait until the payment page to see the discount - most of my customers are on mobile). I've edited the code in my site a lot but my technical skills are not great so your post confused me. Thank you for providing it but its confusing. If it's so easy to provide a workaround why can't shopify just add this feature for all-with code that's been tested by their development team (I hate adding code by a random person because who knows if its been tested)? Thanks. But my point is that shopify could easily and should add this feature for all.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

We are also looking for this feature... I am honestly quite suprised, that a major platfrom like shopify does not offer this? I think, it is a quite usual marketing tool, to grand cascaded discounts. Has there really nothing happened so far?

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 6

Having now used Shopify for a little while as well as being a web developer for well over 20 years (using other platforms) I can tell you I'm not surprised by this.

Platforms such as Shopify really are designed to just be a very low end simplistic platform, not designed for larger business'. Now naturally a Shopify representative will say "oh but JBHiFi use us... but what the like of JBHiFi use is nothing like what the average user has access to.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 343

@JulianMTE We are also looking for this feature... I am honestly quite suprised, that a major platfrom like shopify does not offer this? 

ShopifyPlus 

@normdouglas  Platforms such as Shopify really are designed to just be a very low end simplistic platform, not designed for larger business'. 

ShopifyPlus and Shopify Api's show that to be false, if a merchant chooses to not avail themselves of features that's on them for not investing in tools specifically designed for larger businesses and growth.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Any update on this?  Similarly I'm running an automatic discount code for 10% off when people buy2 or more selected products.  I'm also creating manual codes for 15% and/or 25% off depending on the scenario.  I'd like that system to recognize the better deal and apply accordingly

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Unless I misread the Solution update, there's still is no real solution other than locking discounted products to be accessed only by certain customers or utilizing gift cards in some fashion to reduce total purchase price, is that correct?

Use Case: As for understanding a use case, here's mine. My Shopfiy store has products from multiple vendors and I have chosen to include the shipping charge within the price of the product and simply offer free shipping. Now, if someone orders two products from the same vendor, I can provide a discount since the shipping cost won't be double for me, I would pass that savings onto the customer as an incentive to buy an additional item from the same vendor in my store. I would setup an automatic discount of Buy X and get Y in my store to handle this situation of passing along the shipping charge savings. However, in addition, I would also like to offer some returning customers a separate 10% code discount off their total purchase; which from my understanding would require stacking multiple discounts, the automatic one with the manually entered one by the customer. I hope this use case provides some better insight into the need to support multiple discount codes via Shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 343

@AlanJosephShop wrote:

Use Case: ... products from multiple vendors ..include the shipping charge within the price ... and simply offer free shipping.
..if someone orders two products from the same vendor, I can provide a discount since the shipping cost won't be double for me,....

setup an automatic discount of Buy X and get Y ... shipping charge savings.
However, in addition, I would also like to offer some returning customers a separate 10% code discount off their total purchase; 

This can be solved by swapping in a "hidden" duplicate product with a reduced price when customers get more than 1 of that item, thus freeing up a discount slot for more sensitive rules like total price reduction.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 2

Shopify has been telling us since 2013 that they are "actively working on bringing this feature to Shopify."

2 Likes