Solved

Multiple discount at checkout

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)

Chris_Leake
Visitor
1 0 1

+1 from me as well. These types of features really need to be implemented if Shopify wants to be a premiere e-commerce platform. Duct taping together 3rd party apps is not an acceptable solution for what should be core functionality.

r0mm3n
Visitor
1 0 2

Kind of crazy that it isn't available, could be a make or break for people. 

bside50
Visitor
1 0 1

Yes add me to the list. This feature needs to be added to the platform asap. Very discouraging that we even need to ask for it... Thank you

webcoder0001
Tourist
13 0 0

this feature is not available right now in shopify, but we can do customization, and can enter this feature manually for those who must required, we don't know when shopify will add this,

Paul_Stewart
Shopify Partner
25 0 7

Add me to the list of merchants that need this feature.  It is not resolved.

Here is an example of how we would like to use multiple automatic discounts at the same time.  Product collection 1 affords us the ability to offer 15% off - product collection 2 affords us the margin to offer 25% off.  We would like to offer both %'s off at the same time.  Not possible currently.  Another would be a discount and free shipping.
I don't want to be nickel and dimed for yet another 3rd party solution.  Most are half baked, aesthetically displeasing, and the costs add up in a major way.  

poutSG
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi there,

Are you able to help us do a customization of our website where we can input multiple discount codes?  We have a loyalty program that uses discount codes but our customers won't be able to use other discount codes which makes it rather redundant.  Would be happy to discuss further with you.

Many thanks!

Gladys

vasepearlfectio
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Gladys_pout,

I actually don't work for Shopify we have a small business on Shopify but we have the loyalty program from yotpo as well and this app volume and tiered discounts by hulk apps will allow you to do quantity/volume discounts along with your current promo codes you offer!  Also, many people are complaining about the price but the basic version is free.

cschroeter2
Tourist
8 0 3

I also use Hulk apps and it used to work, but we've had many people reach out in the last 2 - 3 weeks that the discounts are no longer working from our loyalty program or the birthday discount. So something has changed recently that made these stop working together again.

So add our vote to having this as a native feature in Shopify. We need stacked discounts and more than 1 automatics discount at a time as well as allowing automatic discounts to apply to a specific customer group, or limiting it to 1 use per customer (basically same as regular discounts). 

fineapplevegan
Visitor
2 0 5

The fact that this has gone on this long and you can't do something as basic as combine an automatic discount with a coupon code is ridiculous. It's killing our conversions because we want to offer free shipping over a minimum order but doing so means we have to kill any campaigns leveraging coupon code offers. At this point we are contemplating a complete rebuild and switch to WooCommerce. The fact that one of their "solutions" was to issue partial refunds to customers is laughable. Try explaining that to prospects and see how quickly they abandon you for a competitor - namely one NOT using Shopify.

nhanisi
Tourist
4 0 2

Please add my vote to the list. We are a food charity and we must offer food in bundles. Our bundles range from $5-$20 - we CANNOT afford to pay our overheads by only being allowed to sell one discounted multiple bundle. During this lockdown people with no jobs no food we MUST be able to service the huge need out there. By having to manually calculate and offer discounts on each order it is confusing and time consuming for customers and no one has time. PLEASE HELP!

Also, is there a way I can apply discount once order submitted? Even if I create a new order instore, there is no way to apply a discount.

williamburrows2
Visitor
2 0 3

Shopify has been telling us since 2013 that they are "actively working on bringing this feature to Shopify."

TheWaxMeltCo
Visitor
1 0 4

Do we have an update on this yet?

This has got to be one of the most requested features this platform has and I too need this feature.

There are various competitor sites that all offer stackable discounts.

with such an expert team at Shopify, this could have and should have been done by now.

I have had great success and to my surprise on this platform including the purchase of a warehouse facility to work from and hold my stock with a growing team.

However, if Shopify doesn’t implement this change and soon, then I will have no alternative other than to switch platforms.

i need to move as my business grows.

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

To everyone hoping for multiple discounts: Shopify is not working on this - "we want to keep it basic".
Source: Shopify CTO, Jean-Michel Lemieu today in the Shopify Partner Town Hall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhxIFipk1_k&t=2017s

I know Shopware recently launched a cloud version at the same price point - do they have this feature?

AlanJosephShop
Visitor
2 0 0

In the YouTube video "Partner Town Hall - August 13, 2020" they reference using Shopify Scripts to implement complex discounts however, scripts do not seem to be option for the Shopify NON Plus account plans so, does anyone know if there's some type of equivalent programmatic language that can be used for a non plus account to achieve similar results?

alexismorel
Tourist
6 0 2

Here's a video I'm showing how to add multiple discounts at checkout on your shopify store: https://youtu.be/6pwHCBUwRlo

pmourer
Tourist
3 0 2

We want to offer a free gift with purchase, using "Buy X get Y" native discount, however this now means that any discount codes will not work. At all, even if they are at a product level rather than order. Seriously?

Just add an option to discount codes, "stackable" or "not stackable." Make the default not stackable. No existing functionality lost, no one required to change anything. And those of us who have been looking for this feature since we got on the platform can finally have a functional checkout.

alexismorel
Tourist
6 0 2

Heyy pmourer,

I found a way to add stackable discounts. Here's how: https://youtu.be/6pwHCBUwRlo

I hope It can help you.

Have a great day

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126
That’s just another app, there are many of those. We want it natively.

alexismorel
Tourist
6 0 2

Yes for sure! Me too, but I think it's the only way right now. But yes, I totally agree with you. It's a shame this feature is not available yet!

pmourer
Tourist
3 0 2

echo what bredowmax said, and also -- i just watched your video for the 3rd time alexismorel and it doesn't even apply to the type of discount i am trying to use. nowhere in there is there a buy x get y discount. I can't even find the app you are describing, maybe you should link to the app instead of your video explanation.

alexismorel
Tourist
6 0 2

Yess, the app allows this feature. Watch my video at 0:25 : https://youtu.be/6pwHCBUwRlo

Also, here's the link to download the app: https://apps.shopify.com/custom-pricing-discounts-by-appikon?surface_detail=volume+and+discounted+pr...

aprilCD
Visitor
1 0 1

Is this something that Shopify truly has the intention of adding? I've been searching for resolve and apparently this problem is something you can trackback 4 years. I'm really frustrated that I can't set up what I want to offer customers and it doesn't seem that any workaround is what I need. 

I simply need to add more than one code at check out and have an automatic discount applied - is this really coming or is this 'voting' list some way to shut people up .... can we get a real answer?

aj007
Excursionist
33 0 71

If you read the posting/watch the video from Aug. 13th (in this very thread, quoted below from 1 page back), you can all give up any hope of this happening...

@bredowmax wrote:

To everyone hoping for multiple discounts: Shopify is not working on this - "we want to keep it basic".
Source: Shopify CTO, Jean-Michel Lemieu today in the Shopify Partner Town Hall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhxIFipk1_k&t=2017s

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

No, it's (sadly) not coming. These are your options:

1. Change your strategy - do you really (really?) need this? (I chose this option)
  2. Get yet another app to hack the functionality for you
  3. Tell Shopify customer support every single time you are in conversation with them that you really need this
  4. Change the platform and say goodbye to Shopify
haydaw
Tourist
8 1 11

User: Shopify we need this basic functionality we have been asking for over 8yrs for

Shopify: Sorry this won't happen, go use paid 3rd party app

User: Surely this should be easy to add and a lot of people are asking for this feature?

Shopify: ✓ Solved

Shopify has a $128,000,000,000 market cap and yet they can't code multiple discounts at checkout. Give me a break.

vasepearlfectio
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello All!

I discovered this forum yesterday and I have a solution for most.  The Shopify app is called volume and tiered discounts by hulk apps.  You can do volume discounts on products and customers can also use promo codes in checkout!  The app is also free for basic and extremely affordable for next upgrade 🙂

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126
Thanks but we know that this is possible with apps. The problem with apps
is that they often are incompatible with each other and use workarounds
that can screw up existing processes.

What we want is a native solution.
vasepearlfectio
Tourist
3 0 1

Yeah I understand that and get your concern.  I think the only app it really interferes with is the automatic discount app.  We have many different apps and it is not affecting them.  Just kinda the way Shopify works I guess, need to download apps because the features are limited.

haydaw
Tourist
8 1 11

You do understand that is what everyone is saying? The issue is Shopify clearly has the capabilities and API to deliver this functionality, they would just rather have you pay a 3rd party app $30/mo so they can take their %. This allows them to increase their revenue without increasing their flagship products price, and allow open source developers to do the work for them.

BLKPNTS1
Excursionist
21 0 15

Actually I wouldn't care if shopify made a 4th teir at an extra $30/month themselves 

I'm just sick and tired of being forced to have more 3rd party apps that never really fix the issue that keep changing ownership, closing down or jacking up prices.

I'm only asking for 2 things stacked discounts and the ability to exchange items the same was POS handles them. So we know both can be done they just refuse too unless we become shopify plus but that's just unfeasible for most. 

MrLoot
Tourist
8 0 3

Maybe if ALL OF US that keep replying to this same old thread would open A NEW ONE and flood the crap out of this forum, they would make it happen. But as long as we keep complaining and whining here they wont care! Let's make our "voices" be heard!

Mahir_Iskender
Tourist
7 0 4

I totally agree. We pay Shopify a monthly fee for reason. I installed 40 different apps and pay them all separately. Basic features missing  from Shopify vs other ecommerce platforms. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Pburt16
Excursionist
16 0 12

Good luck. If you look through these forums, you will find dozens upon dozens upon dozens of threads going back many many years describing basic feature requests that have never been implemented in Shopify's lower tiers. ALL of these features are available in Plus. 

Shopify's dismal lack of basic features is a direct result of their business model. They make a huge profit off of apps without having to do anything to improve their basic functionality. There's literally no reason for them to appease subscribers.

Just expect that your monthly costs will double or triple if you want to add the missing functionality. 

Vesna
Tourist
6 0 7

I will check this out - thanks!

Jonas15
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

I use the same app, but the app creates an "automatic discount" which is why i cannot use promo codes too. How can you?

cbkev
Excursionist
14 2 6

@Trevor - nearly a year on, 41 pages of votes - any joy with this?

Seems bizarre that Shopify doesn't have this functionality, it's such an obvious one.

Thanks

Tristan3dt
Shopify Partner
35 0 15

Essential functionality with a feature request going back over 2 years and no sign of it being forthcoming, even for Shopify Plus.  This is starting to look like standard practice for Shopify, incredibly limited and kind of unbelievable for such a big platform!

Please add me to the request list!

Pburt16
Excursionist
16 0 12

Shopify Plus includes this feature ... and virtually every single other feature that us poor common folk have requested over the past decade. I think you can figure out for yourself which client pool they care about. 

Tristan3dt
Shopify Partner
35 0 15

If this feature IS  available in Plus, I can't seem to get it to work -- you can only have one automatic discount active at a time for example.  Even the 'shopify scripts' feature only allows only one to be active at a time.

Mostafa_Kamel
Shopify Partner
22 0 7

Hello everyone,

We just released a new app that could help solve this problem by stacking different discount codes and add the discount field to cart page or/and cart drawer.

You can also set a maximum number of coupons to be used together and maximum discount value whether fixed amount or percentage.

Please feel free to check it and happy to hear your thoughts.

https://apps.shopify.com/coupon-stacker 

Thanks

patrickc1164
Visitor
2 0 2
Although the app is what most of the retailers have been asking for,
charging an additional $10 per month seems excessive for this.
It really should be part of the Shopify platform.
Patrick Coughlin
bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126
And again - dear app developers, we are not asking for yet another
discount/order edit app - ethere are already too many of them to choose
from on the appstore. The problem is that these create all konds of
incompatibilities. I want this to be solved natively by Shopify. Please
don’t waste your time building yet another discount app
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 572 1315

@patrickc1164 wrote:
Although the app is what most of the retailers have been asking for,
charging an additional $10 per month seems excessive for this.
It really should be part of the Shopify platform.

If being able to stack discounts doesn't generate enough revenue to justify spending $10, stacking discounts isn't much of a solution in the first place.

@bredowmax wrote:
And again - dear app developers, we are not asking for yet another
discount/order edit app - ethere are already too many of them to choose
from on the appstore. The problem is that these create all konds of
incompatibilities. I want this to be solved natively by Shopify. Please
don’t waste your time building yet another discount app

Either there is a market here for this feature or there actually isn't.

App usage is a much more valid indication that a feature is needed than forum posts alone for fostering development.

Either the app doesn't work and merchants wont use it, or merchants that appreciate solutions will use it indicating actual usage over wishes.

If it isn't worth such a small investment by a small business why would a billion dollar platform bother to develop the feature natively for a small portion of stores that think they need it but ignore possible solutions.

If a business has a valid use case for stacked discounts then $10 per month is an easy win meaning merchants don't have to hold their breath for a feature that may come tomorrow, or never at all.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Britta
Tourist
6 0 7

Hi, I am just hopping onto this subject now as I have volume discounts enabled on my store and trying to allow customers to use a single discount code in addition to any promotion on the site. 
I can see that this was requested 2 yeas ago, is there an update on this yet, ie does it work?

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 572 1315

@Britta if you are using an app this varies greatly and you need to contact the app support for guidance.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Britta
Tourist
6 0 7

No, this is a setting within Shopify as others have mentioned above 😉 

Shopify shows this statement on the discount page itself 

Liberandco
Visitor
1 0 1

Multiple discounts needed here as well. Crazy this is not an option for businesses. Please implement.

Thanks!

Toptimask
Visitor
2 0 1

i am now using an app costs me 10USD/month in order to give 1 layer of discount, extremely unreasonable!

HarrietTDD
Visitor
2 0 0
Which app are you using? Is it any good??

WhiteBloom
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

we have just implemented the app 'Stack Discounts' that enables multiple discounts, and seems to work well - $9.95 a month but am sure will help reduce drop out, drive conversion and pay for itself

thanks