Solved

Can you manage multiple domains for different countries on Shopify?

Maddy_Summer
Tourist
3 0 0

Hello,

I have 3 variations of domains for different countries. I've got 2 variations linked to the primary domain at the moment but when you use one eg .asia when the site load it loads as .uk 

Is there a way to display the domain .asia in the browser while still showing the primary domain site. 

I don't want customers thinking they've been redirected to the wrong site. 

Thanks,

Maddy

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Maddy_Summer

Great question! We recently rolled out international domains which will display your online store in the language that is specific to each region or country, and show the prices in the local currency. You can use international domains with both Shopify managed domains and third-party domains. To use international domains, you will need to have the following: 

• To create international domains for your store, you need to add and connect a domain for every different region or country where you want to offer a localized shopping experience.
  • The domains or subdomains need to be specific to a region or country, for example, johnsapparel.de for Germany. However, you must use custom domains. You can't use your default myshopify domain.
  • Subdomains must use two-letter country codes. For example, if you currently sell in the United States using johnsapparel.com and you want to expand to Australia, then use au.johnsapparel.com.
  • To use international domains, you must sell in multiple currencies using Shopify Payments.
  • If you sell in multiple languages using international domains, then you need to use a supported translation app.

You can learn more about this feature by viewing our help doc here. In the event that you're not eligible for international domains then you'll want to toggle the "Direct all traffic to this domain" option found in Online Store/Domains. By disabling this feature the domain will not change when viewing the site; however, all domains will lead to the same place. You can then consider adding a language converter, and price converter in your store to better assist your international customers. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Maddy_Summer

Great question! We recently rolled out international domains which will display your online store in the language that is specific to each region or country, and show the prices in the local currency. You can use international domains with both Shopify managed domains and third-party domains. To use international domains, you will need to have the following: 

• To create international domains for your store, you need to add and connect a domain for every different region or country where you want to offer a localized shopping experience.
  • The domains or subdomains need to be specific to a region or country, for example, johnsapparel.de for Germany. However, you must use custom domains. You can't use your default myshopify domain.
  • Subdomains must use two-letter country codes. For example, if you currently sell in the United States using johnsapparel.com and you want to expand to Australia, then use au.johnsapparel.com.
  • To use international domains, you must sell in multiple currencies using Shopify Payments.
  • If you sell in multiple languages using international domains, then you need to use a supported translation app.

You can learn more about this feature by viewing our help doc here. In the event that you're not eligible for international domains then you'll want to toggle the "Direct all traffic to this domain" option found in Online Store/Domains. By disabling this feature the domain will not change when viewing the site; however, all domains will lead to the same place. You can then consider adding a language converter, and price converter in your store to better assist your international customers. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog