My Shop was Shut Down by Etsy ~ How to start over??

1 0 0

This is excellent advice, and she is 100% correct. Save your money on paid ads and use social media for all it's worth. Instagram has recently grown past Facebook for click-thru sales by a landslide. I can vouch for that as 75% of my website sales come directly from Instagram--they're also my most loyal customers, meaning repeat sales. 

I have an Etsy Shop too and I'm so sorry to hear they shut you down, it's a story I've heard all too often. But one of the best parts of having your own website (via Shopify) is you can sell whatever you want! No restrictions. Huzzah!

The only thing social media costs is time, and it's so well worth it and will pay itself off in spades. Just take the time to use it properly and you will succeed. Since you sell jewelry, you might want to try Pinterest as well, although it doesn't work for me, a lot of people have great success with it.

Good luck and keep going, you'll get there!

Lisa

www.lacreeperie.com

0 Likes
1 0 0
Hi Julie, Etsy shut my shop down too after 6 years of high volume selling. The kicker is t wasn't even over an item I was selling but what another shop was selling. My house mate had a shop too and bought graphics from another etsy shop and made an item using the images. Etsy shut her shop down because they said it was infringement. It's ok for these shops to sell the charms and graphics but not ok to use them I guess. Even though her shop belonged to her with her own personal information and her own bank and PayPal info they shut my two shops down just because we shared an IP address. This policy is so wrong on many levels but it happened. I too had such success that I was able to do it full time so I know your pain! You all of the sudden you have nothing, they take all your listings, feedback and your online existance. It won't do any good to try to get your shop reopened. I tried pleading with them for a whole year and they won't budge. I even emailed Chad Dickerson and he just has their legal department reiterate the poor policies they have. I tried to reopen a shop because I never even got a notice when they shut my shop down. If you try to reopen a shop they find it very quickly and they take away your buying privileges...yep, you heard me right, you are now banned totally. All of this happened to me and I didn't even break one rule or policy! I am now on Shopify, Ebay and Amazon and have rebuilt my business to a decent level but nothing like Etsy. Here are my suggestions: 1. I found that paying for Google ad words was not only very expensive but not fruitful. 2. Get yourself a marketing campaign service such as Mail Cimp or Emma and go back into your etsy sales records and send out a marketing campaign letting your past customers know where to find you and offer a discount on their purchase. Keep in mind you can only go back 18 months before breaking some other ecommerce rule. 3. As others have posted use Instagram and Pinterest. I have been told that Facebook is king but I am not that into it for several reasons, mostly time is very valuable I have to pick a poison and stick to it. I really need a social media guru as my best friend and employ them but again it's money. 4. If you haven't already get your application in for Amazon Handmade and put your efforts into your own site on Shopify and Amazon. I think maybe Amazon Handmade will be a great place for the legitimate sellers that have exiled from etsy to go. 5. Where ever you decide to make your new home on the web just never put all your eggs in one basket. I made that mistake with Etsy and it was a big lesson to learn! I never thought I had anything to worry about but now they are closing shops when they don't even do anything wrong. There are many many stories just like mine out there and they have had to rebuild too. It has taken me over a year to finally get over it but I have and you will too. There is a huge world outside of etsy!! 6. Don't give up and you will persevere! I wish you all the best! Sincerely, Melissa Glamour Girl Beads
0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 8

I think it was more than Hello Kitty. You sold items that were copyrighted by Inspired Endurance and you still are carrying copyrighted designs of Lift Your Sole, Chalk Talk Sports, Charm Factory and Rembrandt Charms. Alibaba is a dangerous place to buy items for resale.

I am the owner of Inspired Endurance and seeing your Etsy shop and other Etsy shops resell my copyrighted designs has been a very sickening process that has damaged a business I have worked very hard to build for the past 8 years. I'm sure the other businesses above whom I respect are being damaged as well, thanks to Alibaba.

6 Likes
Tourist
8 0 2

I totally agree with ALL the other replies! 

ETSY IS HORRIBLE.

I've had a different experience with Etsy shutting down my shop with little or no communication from them. I made roughly 70 grand through sales on Etsy which drove me to take it on full time. Well sadly overnight I was shut down and basically lost my job(my store). 

Good thing I used Social Media since I started to help me grow which its something I can have help me but my solo sales are NO WHERE close to what I brought in from Etsy.

I too am waiting for Handmade by Amazon. Unfotunately they do not have my section available yet. 

Just give it some time. Use what you have available to bring in some traffic. Literally after Etsy shut me down I got on every Social Media; Facebook, Instagram(my biggest), Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit. I used EVERY platform I could get my hands on that wasn't too expensive. I looked for similar Handmade marketplaces like Banaza. I took up selling on Ebay. I recently started posting my items on a app called Offer Up. Its usually for things people want to sell(like a big online yard sale app). But i'm getting sales there too!

PUT SOME TIME INTO IT!! Make yourself stand out on every internet site you can! Patience is key!

Etsy is very one sided and I beleive to harsh on their sellers which THEY NEED. I know that Etsy is a community based marketplace which is why it has grown the way it has but the community does not have anyone else interest besides themselves. Which is fine but now after being a victim of the Etsy monster I am glad to say I no longer do business with them. Being on your own should give you a push and boost to make it on your own without a third party. 

Right now it might suck and you might feel the loss financially but MARKET your company and it will grow! 

BY THE WAY I love your site!

-Lea

www.PasseDesigns.com

0 Likes
2 0 2

How did you come up with the 12% Etsy fee number? It is incorrect.

Etsy fess are 3.5% +.30 of the sale.  Normal cc fess are 3% +.25-similar to what you would pay anywhere.

Traffic numbers are unmatched on that platform.  I can't shut that store down due to the traffic I receive.  This year has shown 136,395 views and over 800 orders.  Christmas is our busiest time and we usually see double that in Oct & Nov combined. 

I would love to only have the web store when and "if" I can get the traffic up.

BoutiqueMonogram.com

2 Likes
Tourist
8 0 2

I think Etsy's fees are way lower than that. 

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 3

I hate to say it but I have never used any social media until this happened!  I am spending day and night trying to learn about Facebook and anything else pertaining to Social Media.

Thank you so much for all the great ideas!  I just applied to Amazon Handmade and I am going to research Instagram now.

Patience ~ I know!  Easier said then done!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
16 0 4

I agree.  I looked at Jules' shop and see multiple items that aren't attributed to the trademark owner, including a University of Florida gator charm.  UF has deep pockets and is relentless about going after trademark and copyright infringements.  Beware.....

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 3

Thanks!  I just removed it!!  I had no idea that was anything more then an alligator charm.

How do I know what I can and cannot use?  If anyone see's something, please let me know.    

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

Etsy is not very personable as far as their customer service. I also lost my shop on etsy, a different reason altogether. There seem to be quite a bit of negative feedback with past Etsy shop owners on google/bing reviews. I went through the process of calling, no response. (Not to mention finding the number to call was a hasle) then I emailed several times and I could get no where. The people I spoke to were in my opinion very rude and not open to reason at all....

That was my number ONE reason for opening my store with Shopify. I have been with shopify since February of this year and it's been slow drving traffic to my website. There are other sites like Etsy that work, like Artfire and Aftacraft... The problem is you bring them (Etsy, and others) a lot of traffic for them to make a lot of profit and in the end not value the very people that made them.

It's work, however social media is the ticket. Instagram, Pintrest, Twitter, Facebook, Fancy, google+. This is where everyone shares what they love and blogg about any and all. Also, paper ads in your very own local paper. There cheap and people still read the paper. It's also a business write off.

Don't give up!  Your site looks good. Also add your website to everything, email, pins, tags.

2 Likes