My domain can't connect in shopify for some reason and I'm not sure why. I recently had the domain migrated and it has a new nameserver, would that have anything to do with it? I entered the new nameserver into hostgator where I registered my domain and it's in propagation for 24-48 hours, would that have anything to do with it?
However I can still go to the domain when I type it in the address bar.
Hank here from Shopify.
As you have not shared your domain, I will not be able to give you specific advice, but if you want to share your domain with me, I can take a closer look at yours specifically! For now, I will give you some general advice which should hopefully, assist you further.
There could be a few reasons as to why this is happening for you. The most common is simply, a time factor. Domains can take up to 48 hours to point correctly, and as you mentioned you did change nameservers so that very much could be what the issue is.
Once the nameservers have propagated correctly, then you can look to transfer the domain to your Shopify store, which again can take up to 48 hours. This can be done within your store admin, and you will see when it is fully connected there. Ensure that you have only one A record with a value of 220.127.116.11, when updating your DNS records, as multiple entries can have an issue with your domain propagation.
Another great tool to use to see when your domain is fully active is the likes of whatsmydns.com which will show when your A record and CNAME records etc are all updated.
If you are however still having this issue, simply share your domain with me and I can take a closer look at this for you!
All the best, -Hank
As Hank mentioned above, I think that the most common issue is time factor and you should wait for a while. If after 48 hours, the issue won't be solved, I think you should contact to domain provider's customer service to get help, or you can read this guide of Shopify domain transfering to solve your issue on your own.
Your domain is testing fine for me once I run any public testing. Or is the issue now resolved? If not, can you tell me a bit more about the issue you are facing, or if you have any screenshots you can share showing any potential issue?
That way I can assist you further.