My invoices going to customers' spam/junk folders

Highlighted
2 0 3

I have had to start emailing my customers and telling them to look in their spam/junk folders if they don't see my invoice arrive.   On the most recent one, today, I copied myself when I sent out the invoice and sure enough, it went to my gmail spam folder.  This seems more something that the Shopify people should look to get corrected. It's rather embarrassing to have to tell customers that my invoice gets tagged as spam.  Anyone else experience this?

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 4

Yes, I am also experiencing the same thing. 

It took me a while to figure out, and lost one order because of that. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 341

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/intro-to-shopify/initial-setup/setup-your-email

Are you using shopify or another service to send emails?

Did you modify the notification templates?

Update your domains DNS SPF records to list shopify emails as valid (if you bought your domain from shopify contact shopify support)

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/intro-to-shopify/initial-setup/setup-your-email#add-shopifys-spf-...

Shopify's SPF record:

v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all

If you have multiple mail servers they will of course need to be combined into single record

If this is a recurring critical customer service, b2b-ish,  another strategy that bypasses the problem for pretty much every email service in existence is to make sure those customers add your shop emails to their email contacts.

Either inform this on the thank you page,a faq page, some other separate page, or the shipping&delivery policy, via text-message, facebook messenger, etc

This is an example text template , for different delivery methods, fill it and keep somewhere to use fast

Hi {{customer.first_name}}! Thanks for your purchase to help everything go smooth please add us to your contacts so your email client puts your order status directly in your inbox instead of the wrong spot. Here's the email:

{{shop.email}}

Thanks again!

Note: For the placeholder names while I use the nomenclature of liquid objects  obviously this isn't mean to solely be notification template because if it goes into spam folder they wont see it defeating the purpose. Also design wise keep the email on it's own line so it's easy to either click, or to text copy without getting other text. There's also getting them to email you first but that generally means there needs to be something in it for them if this isn't a b2b relationship.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Yes,  that is what mine is doing. have you found a solution yet? im tired of telling my customers to look in the spam folder and im losing customers because they dont get the invoice. 

thanks 

dz

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 341

The quick answer is to have them add you to their contact info in most cases this will then skip spamfilters.

A way to do this pre-emptively before an order confirmation is sent is using a newsletter to have them do this, possibly with an incentive for doing so.

Of course the newsletter might still have the same problem of going into the spam folder /shrug

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

We had this issue when using a mac.com email address a few years back, emails or invoices sent to customers going straight to junk/spam. We started to use gmail and thats fine, but the gmail address is trawled and attracts some very fraudulent emails so is quite alarming.

We switched back to mac.com email server after a shopify guru said there wouldn't be an issue with it. Wrong! There is a real problem and you have to send emails form outside of the website to notify that the emailed invoice will be junked. Not a way to conduct business and impress clients. 

I understand why websites ask to be added to email address books, but why does the issue affect mac mail and not gmail which is proving to be the dodgy email. 

The point is that the mac mail address fits in with all our "corporate identity" in other words every other printed or advertised email address so I wish it would be resolved finally. 

ajm

@Michael_Lempert wrote:

I have had to start emailing my customers and telling them to look in their spam/junk folders if they don't see my invoice arrive.   On the most recent one, today, I copied myself when I sent out the invoice and sure enough, it went to my gmail spam folder.  This seems more something that the Shopify people should look to get corrected. It's rather embarrassing to have to tell customers that my invoice gets tagged as spam.  Anyone else experience this?

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Having the same issues myself and have lost oders because people "just can't find it" and honestly give up. I have had people type my email in their search bar and/or the subject. Embarassing is an understatement. Trying to run a business not have it be taken as a joke. Would love if shopify could figure this out!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am having the same issue. One of the commenters above said you have to go to your domain's TXT records and add SPF record.

My domain is through GoDaddy so the steps were:

-Sign in

-Go to domains

-Click "..." next to your domain

-Click "Domain Settings"

-Scroll down to 'Additional Settings' and on the right, click "Manage DNS"

-Under 'Records', click "ADD" button in bottom right

-Choose "TXT" then fill in: HOST= @, TEXT VALUE= v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all, TTL= 1 hour

-Click "SAVE" button

Support said that after adding the record and propagation time, it should work fine. They said it would take about 24-48 hours.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Has this still not been resolved Shopify??? Just launched my shop, getting orders and embarrassing to say the least customers can't find their invoices or order/tracking updates! This should be a basic resolved issue. And no customer service/chat/phone number to reach anyone. 

Also the vague directions are ridiculous. Isn't shopify supposed to be a hosting site as well? So frustrating!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Can someone please assist me on how to add the record to my site when I bought the domain on Shopify??? Am i supposed to sign up with another hosting site?  So stressful. I'm honestly going to cancel this shopify account. Amateur HOUR

0 Likes