My store loads slowly on Google Chrome.

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi, my store www.9retty.com loads painfully slow on Google Chrome. It seems to work fine on Safari, Firefox, and other web browsers. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening and/or how I could fix it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3156 237 522

Hi @nlira2984,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I use Chrome as my primary browser and checked this for you there and it seems to work at a normal speed and perfectly ok for me. Do you use Chrome as your primary browser? If so, I'm wondering if it could be worth doing a cache clear and then try it? If it works ok for me on Chrome, but not you then it might be something like a cache issue on your end to cause this. 

You can see a YouTube tutorial below on how to clear your cache if you are using a Mac and the link here for a third party link on how to do it

Let me know if you do this and if it makes a difference. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

It seems to work now. However, a lot of people going to our website are experiencing this issue as well. Is there a way to solve this problem at scale?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3156 237 522

Hi @nlira2984,

Sometimes a website can take some time with situations like this. You can take it a step further though by testing out the speed using a third-party tool like Pingdom. This will check the page speed and how it measures up to other pages, as well as show the different assets on the page to give you an idea of what might be slowing down the page's load time. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi @Nick,

I was reading through this post as I faced similar problems and has been going through this issue for quite some time. Lets review both the suggestions that you have mentioned:

1. Clearing the cache: This is not a viable solution because we cannot ask every people who visit the site to clear the cache stating that it could be a problem at their end. And to be honest, why is it loading properly on Safari and Firefox and why is it having a problem with Chrome?

2. Checking the speed at Pingdom : How is this a solution? Pingdom is to check the speed at which a website loads. Its not going to help us at all to fix the problem at our end. For me, sometimes the webstore will load in chrome and most of the other times it will not. What if pingdom captures it only when the web loads?

We are coming here to get help from the technical community and get a solution because we are facing it first hand. I have a lot of customers complaining the same thing and all I read from similar posts early is the check the speed rate at Pingdom. 

This issue is specific to chrome. And this thread is not the first in its case to report this issue. Why cannot your team take this into consideration and look into it?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Arun

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3156 237 522

Hi @ArunSadasivan,

There could be a multitude of reasons as to why this might be happening. It's very difficult to determine and pinpoint exactly what is causing this without seeing any store or loading it on the browser. These are two of the most common ways to combat this which is why I suggested them. If the store is running perfectly fine on other browsers but not Chrome, it is more than often a Chrome issue and not a Shopify store issue, hence the cache clear suggestion. Could you share a link to your store so I can take a look on my end and see what it is like on Chrome? 

Shopify also has a help guide going into detail on this with some more suggestions as to what might be causing this. You can read it here

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi @Nick ,

Thanks for replying. The store name is theSthree.com. I have found this issue today as well. Please check if you can replicate the issue at your end. I will try to get more insights into this as well. The issue is only when we load the shopify site in Chrome. While running through the logs i figured that chrome was making a lot of redirects compared to Safari. I was using google for ads and i could see a few redirects from Google Ads and i thought for once that this could be a problem. But then, even uninstalling the app didn't cause any potential change.

I don't get this all the time but does get this significantly that buyers can turn away from the site as it takes more than 30 seconds to load. Please take a look and any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Arun

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3156 237 522

No problem at all. Thanks for sharing a link to the store. It is very difficult to replicate and get to the root of an issue like this, especially if it isn't happening every time. 

Can I ask what theme you are using and if you've had any custom code work to the theme at all? It might be worth asking the theme developer directly about this. Also, do you have any other apps from anywhere which you have added/removed? 

There is also a tool you could use to help diagnose what might be causing this. It is a google chrome extension built by Shopify for theme developers. You can find the link for it here

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
To solve this problem you need to host your domain on Shopify' servers.

I fixed it a few months ago. I am surprised Shopify is not aware of this.
It may not be true in all cases, but they are not helpful at diagnosing
this issue.
0 Likes