NOT able to edit DNS settings on shopify.

EARTHICA
Visitor
2 0 1

HI,

I have bought domain from Go daddy and hosted website using shopify. Now I want an email to be set up, I bought the email service from Go Daddy as well.

As per Go Daddy Email to work, I need to edit DNS settings in shopify store. If I follow the help pages and navigate to the page Domains under online store, there is no option to edit the DNS settings.

Screenshot is attached.

Can anyone help me solve this issue?

Thanks.Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 6.45.27 PM.png

Replies 19 (19)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @EARTHICA!

While the domain is pointed towards Shopify, we do not have access to the DNS settings as the domain is not managed by our system, which is why you're unable to access the DNS settings from within your Shopify admin. As your domain is managed by GoDaddy, it would require that you log in to your GoDaddy domain manager in order to edit the DNS settings. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Dexters_Bites
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Peter,

I am having a similar trouble to Erthica, but the domain i'm trying to edit is my shopify one - it doesn't give me an option to click on it to edit/manage it. 

Dexters_Bites_0-1600185834516.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Dexters_Bites 

You can not edit the DNS settings for the free ".myshopify.com" URL provided for your store. If you wish to set up third-party services then you will need to purchase a domain through Shopify, or through a third-party in order to gain access to DNS settings. 

bebenaturals
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having the same exact issue. I have a basic paid for monthly plan, however I do not have access to DNS settings. It does not show up at all. It looks exactly like @Dexters_Bites  that you said had a free account. I pay 29.99/mo and am having the same issue

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@bebenaturals 

The $29/month subscription fee does not connect to the domain you are provided for free. When it comes to your ".myshopify.com" URL; the domain's DNS settings can not be edited. To have access to DNS settings, you will need to purchase a domain through Shopify, or through a third-party domain provider. Once you have purchased a domain, you'll be able to alter the records as you see fit. 

Harigotthejuice
Visitor
1 0 0

i have the same problem as @bebenaturals, but i am also confused because i have already created my online store on that free myshopify domain, if i purchased a new domain like you said, wouldnt i have to create my store again on the newly purchased one?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Harigotthejuice 

No, you would not. You are granted a free ".myshopify.com" URL when creating the account. Adding purchased domain changes what appears publicly, and would be added next to the free domain that is granted to you. Purchased domains represent your business name, along with a specific ending (i.e domain.com/org/ca). 

Glowgoddess
Visitor
1 0 0

I have purchased a domain through Shopify but I cannot find the dns settings. 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Glowgoddess 

If you head to Online Store/Domains, then click on your purchased domain, you should then see the option to edit your DNS settings. Our help document here covers these steps in more detail. If you have any issues, let me know!

samcaliad
Visitor
2 0 0

hi i got a domain through shopify but cannot see dns setting either. im on a pay monthly basic plan and i HAVE purchased the domain through shopify i have emailed for help and nothing has come of it. i also tried contacting who i thought you use as a host without luck i have no idea where to go from here

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@samcaliad 

Email support can take between 24-72 hours to hear back; however, if you need immediate support, then reaching out to us via chat, phone, or through social media on Twitter, or Facebook would be your best bet. 

When viewing Online Store/Domains, do you see your domain? Does it show as connected? If yes, then you should be able to click the domain and edit the DNS settings. If no, then it is likely that your purchase for the domain was not successful. To confirm this, you can go to Settings/Billing. Once there, you can see if the domain purchase was successful, or if it failed, and was refunded. If it failed and was refunded, then let me know as I can verify your store to take a look into why that happened. 

88bamboo
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Trevor, 

I have also purchased my domain and created a sub-domain, but I am still unable to "click the domain" and "edit the DNS settings". On my screen, the domain name is un-clickable text. 

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 10.04.55 PM.png

I am also pretty sure I have successfully purchased the domain:

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 10.03.52 PM.png

Wondering if you or your team could advice, please?

Thanks.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@88bamboo 

What appears after you click "manage?" 

allan24
Tourist
4 0 1

Hey mate, have you resolved this issue?Im facing the same problem and don't know how to fix it.

karteffective
Visitor
2 0 0
Yes ! replace your mx with mail.domain.com not domain.com and you are
done
allan24
Tourist
4 0 1

I have a domain from bluehost, now my problem is the DNS settings is nowhere to be found in my  shopify domain settingsdns settings not found.PNG

Cole86
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello there,

I understand I will need to update the DNS settings from my domain manager (which for me is Google.) However, my concern is that I do not see any instructions on what I would need to input there to redirect my domain email now to Shopify? Where might the instructions be to make that happen?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Cole86 

Shopify only requires the DNS settings to be pointed to 23.227.38.65 for the A record and shops.myshopify.com for the CNAME record. We do not support or offer a full email client. Email services can't be transferred to Shopify, but can still be used with your existing provider. 

karteffective
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello!

I attached my dns settings from cpanel. I don t know what to change or add. I tried A records as you can see on my cpanel server ip for mail.mydomain.gr   and webmail.mydomain.gr but as I can see mx records for my domain still points to shopifys server, not ours.

Please help!cPanel-Zone-Editor.png