Solved

NZ Postcode preventing checkouts - Update

NZ_Shopify_Guy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
170 0 6

Over the last few weeks, we have been making some changes to address validation in New Zealand. While rolling out these validation changes in late January, we identified some rural regions of New Zealand that were not validating as expected. We believe to have addressed those postal code and region issues, but are continuing to review information to ensure that we haven't missed any.

Additionally, a new issue is being reported that customers are reaching the shipping rates page with an incorrect or invalid address. This is causing shipping rates to not return. We are closely monitoring this and looking for more examples to gain a better understanding as to how this is happening.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Accepted Solution (1)
Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, Community members. We understand the impact this has had on your business, and our developers have been working diligently towards a resolution for you. So thank you for your patience and understanding.

I have great news to share! Due to the evidence collected, we have identified the cause and a fix has been implemented: Now, if a region is not correctly set (blank or bogus), Shopify will attempt to correct it using the postal code before pulling rates. 

We are confident the issue is resolved, and we will closely monitor the situation. However, if you are still able to replicate it somehow, please collect as much information as possible from the buyer to help us gain a better understanding as to how this is continuing to occur. We ask that you then please reach out to support via live chat, email or phone callback. Login to your account through the Shopify Help Center and create a support request so that we can pass your examples and information along to our developers. 

Thank you for your cooperation.

View solution in original post

Replies 14 (14)

KiwiShaz
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you. I have questions. Why has it taken a month and endless hours from many of us to even get this issue acknowledged? 
you have acknowledged now there is an issue, what is being done to remedy it? 
some of my friends have lost so much money in revenue because of this issue, I have stacked orders in my abandoned carts with issues too. 

this is a huge negative look on our respective businesses. Makes us look incompetent and unprofessional to our customers. 

ll7
Visitor
1 0 0

We've experienced a huge spike in customer inquiries around this checkout issue in the last 24 hours - and I've now experienced it myself (on another Shopify site).

Super frustrating, have managed to convert those that reach out about the issue by going into their profile and updating address (region) sending a cart recovery. 

Hate to think how many are leaving and going elsewhere.

missfits
Shopify Partner
8 0 5

ive pmeds you a link

albread
Visitor
1 0 0

This issue is still happening, they get an invalid shipping location message, generally “we don’t ship to your location” We even had some getting “we don’t ship to New Zealand “ which is completely stupid. This is not only happening for rural areas, I have had it for Blenheim, Wellington, Dunedin. If they close their browser and reopen it seems to work. It also is happening on returning customers who have previously ordered with no issues

It has been mentioned to overcome this to add the region field but customers are not required to select a region at checkout and when they try and checkout without having selected a region they get the error. Hoe do you make the region field a requirement?  

There has also been mention of adding the address lock-up feature - where can this be activated, please?

TFSO
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

Yes we are having this issue and unfortunately losing quite number of sales because of it too 😞

AmberLucid
Tourist
4 0 2

One of our clients has discovered that it isn't the postcodes for him, but the Region. If the Region isn't auto-filled then the error message will come up. 

kiwi79
Visitor
1 0 0

Since about a week I am not able to check out online. I keep getting the message that my postcode is invalid. This is for a New Zealand address that is correct. Is there anyway to work around this?

thank you

UntamedEarth
Visitor
2 0 0

We are having a lot of issues with this problem, customers around banks peninsula and Lyttleton harbour are affected. 

This is on going and very frustrating! 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, Community members. We understand the impact this has had on your business, and our developers have been working diligently towards a resolution for you. So thank you for your patience and understanding.

I have great news to share! Due to the evidence collected, we have identified the cause and a fix has been implemented: Now, if a region is not correctly set (blank or bogus), Shopify will attempt to correct it using the postal code before pulling rates. 

We are confident the issue is resolved, and we will closely monitor the situation. However, if you are still able to replicate it somehow, please collect as much information as possible from the buyer to help us gain a better understanding as to how this is continuing to occur. We ask that you then please reach out to support via live chat, email or phone callback. Login to your account through the Shopify Help Center and create a support request so that we can pass your examples and information along to our developers. 

Thank you for your cooperation.

AmberLucid
Tourist
4 0 2

More than two weeks ago a client identified two postcodes, and then one more, that were unable to checkout. This is because, luckily, customers phoned them. We lodged a ticket immediately. I have chased this ticket 6 times with the only progress communicated that it has eventually been sent to your tech team. Our developers even identified what the issue was for you. No indication whatsoever of a timeframe. Customers ability to checkout is the most basic piece of functionality for an e-commerce platform and this issue must be affecting stores NZ-wide. How much business is being lost by merchants where customers are getting frustrated and going elsewhere? More communication on this bug and prioritisation really would be appreciated. Lots of frustration out there. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @AmberLucid. I appreciate you reaching out, and I completely understand your frustration. This issue most definitely was a high priority for our developers, so thank you for your patience as they worked to fix it.

Everything should be resolved now, but I wanted to check in with you personally about it. Has your client received any updates on their support ticket yet? Is their checkout fully functional now?

AmberLucid
Tourist
4 0 2
Hi Helen,

We just tested and it looks like postcodes 8971 and 8972 are still showing an error.

We issued the support ticket on behalf of our client, and no, we have not had an update.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for getting back to me, @AmberLucid.

As long as those postcodes have been shared within your previous ticket that our Tech team is working on, then we will need to continue to wait to hear back from them; They will reach out as soon as they have an update for you. However, if those two postcodes are new information, then I kindly ask that you contact support again to have them include the additional codes to your support ticket. The more information we can provide about ongoing instances of this issue, the better.

We appreciate you advocating for your client, and thanks again for your patience and cooperation while we work to get this fully resolved for you.

AmberLucid
Tourist
4 0 2
Hi Helen,

They are not new, they were submitted with the original ticket three weeks ago.