Naming Products

Solved
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello

I drop ship smart watches and can't decide whether I should change the specific name for a watch or not? I feel obligated to leave the name for example (b57) smartwatch so that costumers can research it before buying, but some drop shippers re brand that name and change it completely, which gives them a leeway when pricing the products.

What is the optimal approach to this?

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
300 14 45

Hey, @Logan32!

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! Changing the name of your dropshipping products is really up to you. By changing the name of the product, you can really strengthen your brand and create more of a collective feel to your store and the products you offer. Some merchants decide to rename their products that they receive from vendors so that they are not searchable in a marketplace as well. It really depends on how you want to run your business. 

If you decide to keep the original name of your products, then I would actually recommend just condensing the names slightly. Usually dropshipped products have quite a long name or title, so changing something like "Small-medium-large-gold-metal-hoop-earrings" could simply be renamed to "Gold Hoop Earrings" which not only creates a more professional looking storefront, but also keeps the customer feeling less overwhelmed when having to navigate through products and collections. 

Another idea for renaming would be to pick a name that goes with your brand. For example, you will see a lot of merchants naming products with human names. This idea works well for a more trendy women's apparel type of business where you would see clothes with the name, Olivia, Naomi etc., It's a great idea to go with a themed name as well if you think that would suit your business. 

I hope this has answered your question. If not, or if you have any further questions please let me know. I will be happy to help!

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
4 0 0

Very helpful, thanks for replying.

0 Likes