Need advice on furniture/woodworking website shipping

Marisa_Barone
Excursionist
92 0 9

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of starting a new website to sell my homemade furnitire and woodwork projects. Does anyone have a furniture website or advice on how to deal with shipping of large and heavy pieces? 

-Marisa

0 Likes
geraldz
Shopify Partner
14 0 1

The same way Wayfair, etc. do it.  Over a certain $$$ it ships for free.  Just build it into your price (They think they're getting a good deal, LOL.  It's human psychology)

0 Likes
Marisa_Barone
Excursionist
92 0 9

Yea thats definitley the way to do it, but the unfortunately makes the prices go even higher and furniture already costs a lot. :/

I am also curious though about how people ship... Do people use freight companies for bigger items, or sell larger items in separate pieces for the customer to build itself?

0 Likes
FDG_WEB
Shopify Expert
66 0 9

Hi Marisa,

We have a lot of clients on Shopify who ship large / heavy items. The Wayfair example only works if you are like them and can gain a price advantage due to volume or by operating so many warehouses that you can get an almost perfect estimate from point to point. Few can obviously.

If everything you ship is FOB from one location, you'll really only have a sweet spot on smaller radius orders.

For smaller merchants, we try to use a dual-rate Fed Ex Ground + a freight carrier like Estees or YRC.

Orders under 150lbs usually go cheaper  by Fed Ex Ground .. and above that with a freight carrier.

Hope this helps.. 

Tom

http://www.fdgweb.com
0 Likes
iuraf
5 0 0

I'm not sure that there are reliable websites in this business but still I can suggest taking a look at some options for good and high quality tools on https://www.bestorbitalsander.com/ I think that this will definitely interest you because in this place I found an excellent chainsaw comparing the cost, disadvantages and advantages of each tool. This is a great chance that helps you choose exactly what you need, I believe that you should not miss it

0 Likes