Need help, 11,000 product image url's over 20 megapixels

Highlighted
7 0 0

Hello, 

New to shopify and working on uploading one suppliers inventory. Problem is, the image url's in the supplier csv are all just over 20 mp. Any ideas on how I can reduce th megapixels in bulk and somehow keep them all in the same order for slipping new url's back into csv? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a sample image from the batch:

https://d3tye5etyupvvn.cloudfront.net/gpimg/bmw-wheels-rims-beyern-antler-5-lug-both-silver-lay-org....

Ty

Damon

www.freshwip.com

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Damon,

The sample image you posted is ~8MB, so it's rather the image width and height causing the problem. Your sample image dimensions are 5932 x 6226 pixels, while the Shopify limit is 4472 x 4472 pixels.

I'm building a tool that resizes images on the fly. You could use it to mass resize your product images. You'll just need to modify the image URLs in the CSV file the following format:

https://imgres.solvenium.com/api/image?url=original_image_url&width=width&height=height

You can specify only width or height, and the other dimension will be calculated proportionally to keep the aspect ratio. For example:

https://imgres.solvenium.com/api/image?url=https://d3tye5etyupvvn.cloudfront.net/gpimg/bmw-wheels-ri...

You could use a formula in Excel or Google Sheets to batch update the URLs to pass them through my image resizing service.

I haven't tested the service with so many images as you have yet, but I'm happy to help if you encounter any issues.

Thanks,
Lukasz

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

yes, so this service seems to work but times out on batch uploads of about 400. It must be a strain for a server to be hit with 11,000 21megapixel images at once lol. My only concern is that since it seems to be a rehosting of an image and if the host of the resized images could imbed anything malicious or hurtful to me or my customers.

TY

Damon 

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I do appreciate your help and found this solution helpful. Will just take a bit of time to break up the master csv for something the resizer can handle.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank you for your feedback, @freshe90! I'm going to improve the service to make more scalable. My goal is to handle thousands of images at once, ideally, all 11000 images in one go.

Regarding your concern about rehosting, this is only for the product import process. Ultimately, Shopify uploads the images to its own servers. When customers visit your website, they will get images hosted from Shopify CDN. I guess that Shopify also rejects the upload if it doesn't get a valid image (as it did with too large images), so there is no risk to embed any malicious code during the import.

Thanks,
Lukasz

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

TY for your feedback. I've decreased my batch uploads to 400 and testing time of upload and to see if it works. The error I was receiveing for the products was a timed out while uploading image.

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

ty for your help on this, It is working on an inconsistant number of products per upload. Of the 400 I just tried to upload, 8 were accepted, for the remaining, this is the error I receive.

Best,

Damon

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @freshe90,

I'm still working on migrating my service to a dynamically scalable infrastructure. For now, I can set up a temporary workaround that will enable you to upload more images at once. Let's move our conversation to DM to coordinate the workaround.

Thanks,
Lukasz

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Problem solved with big thanks to Lukasz and his solution. What he helped me do was to upload 12,000 images in url form that were over the 20 megapixel shopify image upload limit. The solution was to take large batches of image url's from the csv provided by my supplier, add custom url to the existing url ( added column and equation to add custom url the entire column in one action) then upload into shopify. With 12,000 image links it would have taken at least a week to reformat all images for a size acceptable to shopify, with the help of Lukasz I was abe to do it in one day. Special note, I did break the process into batches of 1,000 image url's as to not overload Lukasz server and in the process get a "time-out" error from shopify when uploading. Each batch of 1,000 images took 1 hr to upload into shopify. Thank you Lukasz and I hope this helps others in the futue, unless they're a competitor lol

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm glad I could help. Best of luck with your business, Damon!

0 Likes