Need product dimensions so that Shopify correctly bundles orders

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 11
Just third party solutions, but I don’t like paying for something that really should be a basic feature. I have to be careful to pick the correct box type when creating shipping labels, and since the customer has already paid for shipping at this point, I can end up eating a lot of extra costs. I had one bulky shipment a couple of weeks ago that cost me mor than an extra $100 to ship over what the customer paid ☹ ☹ ☹
2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Put me on the list, too! This is a must needed feature and has me extremely frustrated with Shopify right about now.

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Yeah whack me on the list.

Just tried using calculated rates with the sendle integrated shipping except my default box size is 60x60x27cm. 14kg actual weight.

This works great for our core product, but when you have just a small 2kg product it charges the same price as the large box, it totally ignores the 2kg weight entered.

At the moment it seems the only way around this is to use fake weights until it adds up how it should - not ideal.....

You need to get this done shopify!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
I agree, product dimensions should be part of the standard Shopify subscription. Please add me to the list and get this done if it’s not been done already
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I agree that this should be a very basic feature of Shopify. Should be able to add not just a basic size but sizes for each variant. I sell a product that ranges from 2" to 12" and there is no way to specify this to allow me to use calculated shipping. It seems like this should be a very simple upgrade to Shopify functionality and I don't feel that we should need to purchase yet another paid app to accomplish this.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 11

Totally agree with everyone here

I just lost money on a couple of sales this week because:

1) A tiny box was defaulted to for a bulky order, and when increasing the size to the correct dimensions shipping went up greatly.

2) We sometimes sell products that are very heavy and are shipped in 2 boxes.  We totally get killed on these because there is no way to specify multiple boxes for a single product.  The heavy ones sometimes have to go out by UPS, which makes it even harder since there is no integration with UPS shipping (no label generation).

One way around it is to greatly increase the product weight in the system, but this is really not a solution.  Also some carriers may refuse to ship something listed as much heavier when it really isn't.

Has anyone heard of any progress on this from Shopify?

I'm tempted to write my own app to try to handle this, but really that's not the answer either.  I suspect it's not easy from our end to generate multiple shipping labels for a single order programmatically.  

If I did write something, what would be your killer features?  Mine would be per product dimensions, intelligent box selection and multiple boxes assigned to products that work with quoted shipping prices for customers.  It would be nice to have it show whether the manufacturer's box is adequate to ship in, and perhaps calculate overhead costs for packing and shipping if we were to go into the weeds.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 11

Just for everyone's info, ClickShip didn't work out for us because they don't integrate with Canada Post (95% of our shipments), at least not in a basic subscription, here's what they told me:

"Unfortunately, we do not offer rates with Canada Post, you can integrate your own Canada Post account into ClickShip for 8.99$ a month."

If you're Ok with $9 a month to make it work it may be worthwhile.  I haven't gotten to the point of testing the app in the store (couldn't get it to appear in checkout for some reason).

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Shopify sucks. Just wasted so much time building a website and adding products to finally google why I can’t seem to find the dimension input, only to find out you can’t. What a joke. Left Wix because they wouldn’t let me add products with my phone. 
Why is this so hard for you people. 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello there! It has been over an year from this comment. Is there any update on having the option to insert dimensions for each product in order to improve the shipping costs (not counting add-ons Apps)?

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 3

Please add our name to the list. ecas-2cv.myshopify.com - in preparation.

0 Likes