Need product dimensions so that Shopify correctly bundles orders

Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 14

Ok, WTF Shopify, nearly 3 years later, how hard can it be to add some fields for dimensions and have the system pick the right box?  Or just assign a box type to a given product? 

Has there been any development going on in Shopify?  This is a huge problem when the system picks a completely inappropriate package size for products, which happens to me constantly, and costs me money and headaches :(  

9 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5

Seriously, my website is online with shopify for almost 2 years now, every time i try to improve it, there is always an additional cost for something that should be built in. 

Translate, this is something you do once usually, why pay 10$ / month to translate ????@Q#$@#

My product are customizable, there is only 3 levels of option, i need 4 or 5.... have to pay another app

Inventory... 1 Product, have 3 levels of option, with lets say minimum 4 options...   that is 64 combinaisons...  so it now shows 64 products available, which is false... i only have one primary product....   well, to avoid customer ordering something i have not in stock... Have to pay another app!!!

You want to play embed video.... have to pay another app

Want to receive payment by paypal... wait... 2 % of sells extra ????

Would like to add additional page to my website that would shows our services and other important stuff.... nahhhh can't do it unless i pay someone.... or probably there is another app.....

want to add dimension and weight.... WAIT WHAT ???? an online store don't have this very basic feature included...... have to pay another app?????

You guys have a good product... but apps should not be that expensive.... espcially when some features should definately be included in any e commerce solution... come one more than 100$ / year to translate my website when im perfectly bilingual and could do it myself???

PLEASE ADD THOSE BASIC FEATURES, OR DO A BUNDLE FOR A REASONABLE PRICE !!!!!

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5

Forgot to mention... need to set my shipping rates by postal code as i use another local carrier... WAIT THERE IS AGAIN.,... ANOTHER APP FOR THAT 10$ / month, and WAIT WHAT?????  yes... i have to pay another 20$/month to allow a third party calculating shipping rate... DAMNNNNNNN thats too much. im pissed off and should have chosen another solution.....

3 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5

Hey guys 

Shopify is a total joke and won't add the most insanely basic "features" that are really just critical elements of any store, not even actual features.

You can't add the dimensions of your products as part of your Shopify store. Just think about how ridiculous that is. Unbelievable.

I have been using the free version of an app called ClickShip and it lets you individually enter the dimensions in on its platform (which is totally separate from Shopify) - you can then configure it to provide real-time shipping rates that update on Shopify itself (AKA your customers will see these rates as they order). The rates are also waaaaay better than anything that Shopify offers.

Would definitely recommend the app, but it doesn't change the fact that Shopify is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS that they won't include this heinously basic obviously-necessary element to their platform.

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 11
I'm curious, can clickship be used to ship in the United States or is it only for those in Canada? I did some quick research and wasn't clear with the answer but I'll definitely research more. It sounds like a very useful tool for my business, I've spent more time than I should trying to make the Shopify shipping work for my many/ different sized products.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5

From the ClickShip website:

"If you live within the United States you are still able to use ClickShip. If you use ClickShip’s exclusive discounted rates you will be able to ship from the US to Canada but currently not within the United States domestically. If you have loaded your own carrier rates, there are no restrictions placed by ClickShip, all orders can be shipped domestically and internationally. ClickShip domestic US pricing will be coming soon!"

It looks like you could probably still use it if you can link it to your existing carriers - it would also let you put in the product dimensions. When they update for USA users you'll also likely get better rates at that point.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 28

For our store we artificially bump up the product weights to account for dimensional pricing on large light items. Not perfect, but a decent work around.

3 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 11
We thought of doing that but we often get complaints if the weight listed
on our store doesn't match with the actual weight of the shipment as it is
perceived we are taking advantage. May try this but with the addition of a
comment in the item description indicating oversized shipping rates apply.
Still an issue with combined shipping for multiple parcels though
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Why is this demand from us, your customers, not solved yet?

Is there any explanation, if so - would it perhaps be fair to share this with the community?

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 0 4

I'm struggling with the same thing about product dimensions. Has anyone heard of any solution for this?

2 Likes