Need to know how much Shopify takes off of each order

2 0 0

Hello,

I use Printify for my orders. They have informed me that I will be billed for shipping and the cost of product each time a customer orders. I did not originally factor that into my prices. I would like to know when I will be paid for the sales on Shopify and if you take anything out of each purchase. I am paying a monthly fee. I want to be sure this is worth it for me. My customers do pay for shipping as well as the cost of merch. Can you tell me if there are any other charges that Shopify will take off of each item. I also need to know what it means when it says order is not fullfilled. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
123 6 22

Hey @CReid1,

This is very common for POD companies.

Essentially, your store shows the product to the customers > customer orders > Printify gets notified of the order > Charges you the product cost & shipping cost > they ship (fulfill) the order to the customer 

Shopify takes their cut based on the plan you are on. If you are on the Basic plan, for example, you're looking at anywhere from 2.9%-3.5% of the order value, plus a 30 cent flat fee. 

If it says the order is not fulfilled, it means that your POD company has not shipped the order yet. 

I hope this helps!

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes
2 0 0
Hi There,

When Do I get Paid from Shopify? I did sign up at 29.00 per month. On top
of of shipping, cost of product and monthly fees Shopify is taking up to 5
percent? What am I paying monthly fees for? It seems like I am making
Printify and Shopify more money than I am making for myself. I really wish
that you were upfront about costs. I do not think that it is fair to charge
monthly fees and take a percentage off of each item. How do I get around
this and what plan is best to deal with shipping costs.

Each order money is coming off my visa
When does money go into my account from Shopify?

Cora Reid
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
123 6 22

@CReid1, I'm not Shopify. If you want a direct response from Shopify, you should reach out directly to their support

They're upfront about their costs on their pricing chart, and they also have a full Help Center that outlines when you get paid

Shopify has 0 control over how you configure your store. Your success on the platform or any ecommerce platform is 100% up to you. There is no way to get around Shopify taking their cut, and there are no platforms out there that don't take a cut. If you owned a Brick and Mortar location, your payment gateway would take the exact same % fee when accepting a debit or credit card - it's impossible to accept cash on an online platform, so every transaction will have a payment fee. Your monthly fee covers the cost of their support team, every facet of the software that allows you to make an online store, have integrations available with platforms like Printful. Every time you make a sale, there is a lot that happens in the backend (that costs the platform money) to ensure everything goes along with the thousands of orders going through that very second. The 30 cent fee/order goes towards ensuring this happens, and the % fee is a payment fee that would happen regardless of the platform you are using. 

I strongly encourage you to put your store on pause and spend a few months doing research. From the questions you're asking, it doesn't appear that you've spent any time setting yourself up for success. Every aspect of running a business costs money, and in most cases, yes you will be making other companies money when you sell online. You are using a POD service (a separate company) and a shipping service (another separate company) to facilitate your online sales. It's up to you to create a solid strategy, and price your products properly so that you are making a profit after everyone takes their cut. 

As an app developer, Shopify takes 20% of our revenue. Does it impact me? No, because I've spent a lot of time developing a pricing strategy that factors in Shopify's 20% cut. We did our research before entering the Shopify market. When our money goes from Shopify to PayPal, there is another % fee to convert the funds from USD to CAD. Again, this is built into our pricing. We also have to pay thousands in hosting fees every month, and again, this is also built into our pricing. It's our responsibility as the business owners to ensure that we are collecting enough to keep our company operational.

Spending a few months doing a deep dive into research will help you shape your pricing so that after everyone takes their cut, you are making money. The fact you've made sales means you're doing something right, and is further than a lot of people get. Just make sure you charge enough to make a profit. 

-Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
17 0 0

Hi @CReid1 - I see that Sharon has already provided you with an answer (and a good answer, at that). That said, I believe that you can still get great value from the BeProfit - Profit Tracker app. It sounds like there are a lot of costs that are eating away at your profit margin, and this app can help you track all of them so you can keep your profits strong.

BeProfit is a Shopify profit calculator app that gives you a dashboard to track and analyze your store's profits and expenses (including production, shipping, marketing costs, and much more). The app takes into account a wide variety of different data points and then presents all of your store's data to you in easy-to-digest charts and graphs. Ultimately, BeProfit can help show you where to focus your efforts in order to optimize your Shopify store's profit.

Give it a try: https://apps.shopify.com/beprofit-profit-tracker

0 Likes