Negative Tax Rates - These are crucial to my site!

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 3

I just received an automated email from Shopify saying all negative tax rates will be reverted to default by 1 Sept.

I'm using these negative tax rates and they are crucial to the way my site works.

We need to show tax inclusive prices on our website. (The tax is GST, a New Zealand tax.) But this tax needs to be removed for overseas buyers. I do this using negative tax rates, and it works perfectly.

(Because product details are being imported from our POS software (Vend), product prices can only be imported as tax-inclusive).

Shopify say they are removing the ability to have negative tax rates due to reporting issues, but surely there are other ways to solve reporting issues. 

If Shopify does remove the ability to have negative tax issues, I feel they are obliged to come up with another solution to my problem. 

Automated shopify email: 

Some of your store’s tax overrides are showing a negative value. Tax rates can't have a negative rate because this will cause issues with some of your reports.

Review your tax overrides to make sure you’re charging your customers the correct tax rates. Any negative tax overrides will be reverted back to the default settings on September 1.        

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!                     

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
2686 67 716

Hi Amy, 

though not an answer to your original question, but if you will be able to import tax-free prices, then you can modify a currency switcher code to show price+GST as an additional currency and set it as default.

So your domestic clients will see (tax-free price+GST), if they select this additional "currency".

And during checkout the tax will actually be added to your tax-free prices for domestic clients, while foreign clients will keep tax-free price.

You can see this concept in action here . There are "AUD ex. GST" which is an original shop currency and "AUD GST inc.", which is "forged" curerncy with rate of 1.1 to the original... 

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
I am away till Feb-15.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 3

Many thanks Tim, I really appreciate your time to reply. However, my problem is that our POS software,  Vend, will only let us import tax inclusive prices. 

Thanks again. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, Amy 

Did you find a solution to your problem?

0 Likes