Solved

Nested menu created but drop down not showing up on links

shelleyf19
Tourist
4 0 1

I have successfully created nested collections which should enable a 'drop down' menu to show up on my main page. I saw it earlier when I first created the collections in my menus, but now all of my menu options do not show the drop down option - it just goes straight to the top level.

How do I enable it show it shows up?

Accepted Solution (1)

Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @shelleyf19 

Eunice here from Shopify. Thank you for sharing your question and welcome to the Community!

From your post it sounds like you've successfully created a drop-down menu, however, I am not sure what's happened for you to see it and then for it to disappear. So, let's take a look at what a nested menu should look like both in your Shopify admin, and your storefront, then review the possible errors.

Here's an example of a nested menu created in the Navigation area of a Shopify admin.

7jdwk-4zydg

In the image above there are three individual collections all nested under the menu item 'shop'. When you view this on the storefront, depending on your theme, you will see:

zok4w-idxvq

Are you still able to see the nested menu you created in your Shopify admin? Are you still able to see the drop-down menus on the storefront?

If you can no longer see the nested menu in Navigation or on the storefront, try creating them again and ensure you click the save menu button before viewing the storefront:

cixx1-k71l3

If you can still see the nested menu in Navigation, but not on the storefront, try clearing your device's cache and cookies and then hit restart.

Let me know if this solves the issue.

Cheers!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

suyash1
Shopify Partner
9134 1137 1484

@shelleyf19 - can you add me staff? i will check it

To build shopify pages use pagefly You are welcome to contact me - suyash.patankar@gmail.com , My timezone is GMT+5:30.
Paranormal story video using AI
Join me for beginner level training session

Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @shelleyf19 

Eunice here from Shopify. Thank you for sharing your question and welcome to the Community!

From your post it sounds like you've successfully created a drop-down menu, however, I am not sure what's happened for you to see it and then for it to disappear. So, let's take a look at what a nested menu should look like both in your Shopify admin, and your storefront, then review the possible errors.

Here's an example of a nested menu created in the Navigation area of a Shopify admin.

7jdwk-4zydg

In the image above there are three individual collections all nested under the menu item 'shop'. When you view this on the storefront, depending on your theme, you will see:

zok4w-idxvq

Are you still able to see the nested menu you created in your Shopify admin? Are you still able to see the drop-down menus on the storefront?

If you can no longer see the nested menu in Navigation or on the storefront, try creating them again and ensure you click the save menu button before viewing the storefront:

cixx1-k71l3

If you can still see the nested menu in Navigation, but not on the storefront, try clearing your device's cache and cookies and then hit restart.

Let me know if this solves the issue.

Cheers!

shelleyf19
Tourist
4 0 1
Thank you for your help Eunice. It magically worked, so i think clearing
the cache worked.

Shelley
Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

Wonderful! I am pleased to hear clearing the cache and cookies worked for you. Sometimes, something as simple as this can do the trick. 

SoulPepper
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi, 

I am trying to create a "Double" nested menu... see example below...

SHOP

> JEWELRY

>BRACELETS

>EARRINGS

>NECKLACES

>HOME & GIFT

The second "nested" menu (Bracelets, Earrings, Necklace...) is not showing up online. My theme is "debut"... does this theme support more than one "nest"?

Bdclarke90
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, have you fixed this issue? My first tier of nesting works perfectly, but if I try to add a second tier then it all disappears. What could I be doing wrong?

Here is an example.

Women's Clothing - This is my top level item.

> Shirts 

> Pants

> Jackets

This works perfectly, but if I do this

Women's Clothing

> Shirts

> Pants

> Leggings - When I add this second tier ( Leggings) then my first tier ( Pants) disappears.

> Jackets

And looks like this.

Women's Clothing

> Shirts

> Jackets

Any info would be greatly appreciated. If my theme ( third party theme) don't support more then 1 nest then could I create a code to add a second tier? If so, where at in the code should it be placed?

SoulPepper
Tourist
6 0 1
I never got it fixed!
Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

Hey @SoulPepper and @Bdclarke90 

Good news - multilevel navigation (three or more levels of drop-downs) is available on all Shopify themes, but it was added to themes after sectioned themes came out. This means that there are versions of sectioned themes that don't support multilevel navigation.

To check the version of your current theme, head into your theme customizer from your Shopify admin, scroll down, and click on the three dots next to Theme actions. Below is a screenshot to help:

o05of-2fi94

The above screenshot shows my own store using the Narrative theme version 9.0.9.

@SoulPepper The most up to date version of the Debut theme is 17.8.0. If your version doesn't match this then you'll need to update your theme in order for the multiple nested menu to work. This help doc shows you how to update your theme.

When you manually add an updated version of a theme, a second version of the theme is added to your online store. The new version is in its default state, with none of your customizations applied. The older version is unaffected by the update, and still has all of your code customizations. 

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to sing out here.

Cheers!