New store - help needed :-)

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello - well I've set up my store and have uploaded some products to get started, but really want to get into choosing the them and getting the look right - where do I go to do this? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
503 42 67

Hey, @SarahCat!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Welcome to the Shopify Community! 

Congratulations on starting up your shop and getting your products loaded in! It sounds like you're ready to start choosing a theme and working on customizing it for your shop. Here's a link to the Shopify Theme Store! In there you can browse the free themes created by our team, as well as third-party themes developed by trusted developers. In order to access the themes on your store, log into your admin and head over to the Online Store> Themes section. On that page you'll be able to see the currently live theme as well as any other themes that you've installed. Here's some information on how to customize your theme once you choose the one you want to use on your site! 

Are there any specific features you're eager to have included on your site? I'm happy to provide some theme or app suggestions to help you reach your goals! 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
That would be amazing - thank you so much! I like Brooklyn Playful but not 100% clear at this stage whether I could adapt it for what I need.

I have quite a long list -

Bespoke url
Annual hosting
Annual SSL
Blog
Email newsletter subscription
Integration with leading shippers
Integration with social media channels
Top picks
Latest collection
Search by brand
Privacy policy/Ts and Cs
Payments
Shipping abroad
SEO optimised
Responsive for mobile
Reviews
Unlimited products
Discount codes
Free shipping over a certain value
Rewards program

One more question - what happens if at a later date the theme isn't suitable?

Thank you so much for your help with this!

Sarah

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
503 42 67

Hey, @SarahCat!

That is absolutely understandable. The Brooklyn theme is a solid choice, and I'm happy to go over the points in your list to help clarify how to achieve them. Most of the things in your list are going to be possible regardless of the theme you use, but let's dig in! 

• Annual hosting - While the default billing period is 30 days, Shopify also offers annual billing for your account! Once you sign up and select a plan, you're able to change your billing period to be every one, two, or three years. We also offer discounts for users who select annual billing. Here's how you can change your billing period: Update your billing period.
  • Annual SSL: When a custom domain is connected to Shopify, SSL is automatically applied to the domain, provided it's set up correctly. This is true for domains purchased through Shopify as well as ones purchased via third-party domain providers. 
  • Blogs are included in Shopify by default, regardless of the theme you use. More info on using Blogs on your Shopify store here
  • Email newsletter subscription: Adding a newsletter sign up option can be done on any theme! More info here.
  • Integration with leading shippers: This is not dependant on the theme you use, but will be dependant on where you're located and what services you want to use. Did you have some specific services in mind?  
  • Integration with social media channels: You're able to set up social sharing links on your site, and we have some Brooklyn-specific information on this here! We also have a number of sales channels that allow you to integrate your site with certain social media platforms and sell directly through them! You can check these out here.
  • Latest collection: You're able to control where each of your collections are listed on your site. All collections will be included on the Collections List page, but other than that, you can choose to feature your latest collections on your home page, or even in it's own menu link!
  • Search by brand: Here is a link which covers the searchable properties on Shopify. You'll notice that searching by brand is not included on the list, so you could consider tagging your products with their respective brand name. You could also use the "Vendor" field for brand names if you want. 
  • Privacy Policy and other legal pages: In your Settings> Legal section of the admin you're able to manage your stores legal pages, including; Refund Policy, Privacy Policy, Terms of Service, Shipping Policy and Legal Notice. Links to these pages will be accessible via the checkout for customers. 
  • Payments: How you accept payments isn't affected by your theme, but depending on where you're operating out of, different options will be available to you. Let me know where you're operating out of and I will grab you a list of the options available to you! 
  • Shipping abroad: Where you decide to ship products to is entirely up to you, provided your products are allowed to be sold and shipped to the desired locations. When setting up your shipping settings, any country included in an active shipping zone will be able to buy from your site, and you can then ship to them depending on how you choose to ship your products, and what shipping services you decide to work with. 
  • SEO Optimized: We have a great overview of SEO here for you to check out, which includes basic information on what SEO is, as well as tips on improving your own! I suggest exploring that documentation for ideas on optimizing your SEO! 
  • Responsiveness for mobile: Most themes will be designed so that they can be displayed on both desktop and mobile. Brooklyn is no exception, and a site running it can be used on mobile. 
  • Reviews: Shopify offers a free to use Product Reviews app. Here's a link to it in our App Store. There's also a number of other apps for reviews that you may be interested in, so feel free to browse! 
  • Unlimited products: Regardless of the theme you have active or the Shopify plan you select, there is no limit to the number of products you can have on your shop. 
  • Discount codes: Discounts have their own section in the Shopify admin. Our Help Center has some awesome information on creating and managing discounts for your shop here
  • Free shipping over a certain value: This can be set up in a number of ways! For automation, you could create a shipping rate in your shipping settings that is free over a certain amount. When customers carts reach that amount, the free shipping option will be displayed at checkout for them. The other method would be to use a free shipping discount code. 
  • Rewards program: While we currently don't offer a native solution to customer rewards, there are a number of amazing applications built specifically for this! Here is a link to some options to explore in our App Store!
  • Changing themes: If in the future you realize the theme you initially chose was not the right decision, you can switch to another theme any time! You can load a number of themes into your Online Store > Themes section of the admin, but only one can be live at a time. So, if you do want to change your theme, you can customize the new one and get it all ready before switching, and then once it's ready to launch, you can set it as your active theme by publishing it! When you publish a new theme, the previously live theme will still be on your shop in the Online Store > Themes section in case you ever want to use it again, or continue to work on it. 

You'll notice that in my list I left out Bespoke URL and Top Picks. I'd love to answer each of your points, so do you mind clarifying exactly what you're referring to with those two points? Also, if any of the above information doesn't make sense, or if you'd like some more clarification on any, please let me know! I hope this reply is helpful, and I'm happy continuing to assist! 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes