New user from Craigslist

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have been selling auto body parts on Craigslist for many years now, but I want to try and create my own website so that I can have more autonomy on what I post and less restrictions.

I really want to post my inventory as an online listing so that my local customers can view them online. However, I would like for the customers to pick up in store locally, so I won't be shipping any goods out. This listing is solely for the customers to see what I have in stocks and I would not be dealing with online purchases and shipping.

Basically i want to create a website thats similar to the purposes of Craigslist. But i have little experience when it comes to making websites, so i am lost. Is shopify a good platform to use? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi, @Kxn2437!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thank you for reaching out about your interest in Shopify! Shopify is a service that provides everything you need to set up an online store on your own domain. One thing I'd like to point out is the main difference between Shopify and places like Craigslist, Amazon and eBay is that we are not a marketplace. Building a website with Shopify means you're building your own brand and you'll be responsible for marketing your business. The great thing about that is you're in complete control and have a lot fewer restrictions than a marketplace environment. We also offer free 24/7 support so we're always here to help.

A great place to start is our introduction guide, which will walk through everything from signing up to making your first sale. This will help you walk through your initial setup, adding in your products and inventory, start building your website and so much more. You can check it out here: http://bit.ly/2MHPHha.

I also recommend checking out Shopify Compass. Shopify Compass provides you with webinars and courses on things like store design, marketing and more. It's 100% free for everyone and new content is being added all the time. This program will help you drive more traffic into your store and also convert that traffic into sales.

In regards to your specific questions, Shopify would be a perfect fit. You can set up local pickup in your shipping settings, so your customers are presented with the pickup location and will receive automatic notifications confirming their order, and when their order is ready to pick up. You are also able to provide estimates on how long it will take for products to be ready to be picked. We also offer local delivery options too. You can set a radius on how far you're able to travel, and when a customer buys something, we'll display the option of local delivery automatically if they're included in your zone. Here's a great guide on Local Pickup and Local Delivery. Using these would mean you can accept online payments if you want to. I understand you mentioned you don't want that, and that is ok too! But I just want you to know there are options for you.

Building the website itself is also really intuitive. You don't need to have any experience at all or know any programming languages. We know not everyone can code, so we created themes. You can check out our Shopify Theme Store for ideas on what you store can look like, then use our guides to customise those themes your liking: https://bit.ly/2Y9dUov.

I don't want to overwhelm you straight up with too much information, but I want to draw your attention to the Shopify Help Center. You'll notice most of the links I included in this reply are from the help center. It's your go-to place for anything Shopify related. You can learn about selling in person, marketing your business, making custom changes and so much more.

I hope this is helpful in making your decision, but if you do have any lingering questions, please feel free to reply to this thread. If you'd prefer to chat to someone, you can contact our live support team here 24/7: https://bit.ly/3i52f21.

Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes