Newbie Shipping advice

Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 1

I'm just diving into Shopify and need some help with sorting out shipping and have no idea what is the best set up for our needs and how to apply that. Seems like there are so many options with apps etc.

Here is our desired set up:

We have 4 box packages to offer that can be populated with a set configuration of items. Two of these boxes (once filled) will go free shipping. The other two will have a 3 zone ship rate in the US (no international shipping)

So three questions:

1.) How do we have the site "fill" each box with products. (each item will have restrictions on which box it can go in) 

2.) How can Shopify distinguish the free shipping boxes from the others.

3.) How do we incorporate and chose the three zones for the other boxes?

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 22 31

Hi, @UncommonImports !

I'd be happy to help with this as it'll require a bit of a custom setup. I'll answer your questions in the same format you asked them to make reading them back as easy as possible!

1) Are these boxes bundles of products that you sell within the shop on their own as well? I'd recommend using a bundling app which will help you set up these bundle boxes but will also be able to help you accurately track inventory for these products. An app like Bold's Product Bundles would do the trick.

2) I'd recommend adding the two boxes into their own shipping profile. You can then specify that these two boxes will always receive free shipping. You can learn how to setup a separate free shipping profile here.

3) It'll be the same idea as above. Add the other two boxes to their own shipping profile and distinguish what you want the shipping rates and zones to look like. If you're unfamiliar with setting up shipping rates you can learn more about how they're set up here.

If you're just getting started, I'd also recommend taking a look through our Launch Checklist. It's a great resource to make sure you have all of your bases covered during the setup process. Hope to hear from you soon so we can continue to work on this together! 

Oliver | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 1

Hi Oliver,

First thank you for the fast reply. 

To hopefully clarify a bit more... We will be selling large bottles, 4 packs and 6packs. None can be order separately but all can be mixed into set boxes with various configurations. 

Ideally on each product page (big bottle or pack) it will list which box will accept the item.  you choose until you fill you box and then it would go to checkout. Attached is a graphic that hopefully better describes what we are looking to do. Box 1 and 3 would have 3 USA zones shipping while 2 and 4 are configured to be free.

Thanks,

Glenn

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.47.32 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 1

Hi Oliver any additions thoughts based on the image I sent? I don't want to get too far along populating a theme if this type of packaging will not work.

Thanks,

Glenn

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 22 31

Hi, @UncommonImports (Glenn)!

Thanks for the context, it's definitely helpful! I'd actually adjust my original recommendation and maybe suggest looking into using Bundle Builder instead since it sounds like there will be a pick and choose aspect to these boxes.

For the shipping, you'll want to add the configurations/products that are created via Bundle Builder(or any application) to their corresponding Shipping profile. All of the configurations that match Box 1 and 3 from the graphic, you can create a distinct profile for to add your 3 US Shipping rates and all of the configurations that match 2 and 4 will go in their own profile with free shipping.

Let me know if you have any more questions! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 1

Thank you Oliver. Glad to hear that we can most likely make this shipping set up work.

A few other questions....(I will can start a new thread if necessary)

I'm working with a few templates and although all have most elements/functionality we need, none have everything on our wish list. I've tried to "Add Section" but it looks in most they don't have everything I need to customize. For instance we would like an "Age Checker" and a "Partner Icon list" and some of the templates don't have these feature. On another we just want a simple product (not collection) grid and others don't have this.  Is there an easy way to create these or is this custom HTML?

Thanks again,

Glenn

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 22 31

@UncommonImports 

I can certainly point you in the right direction. I would recommend finding a theme that most resembles what you're looking for and you'll then be able to build around it. You can use applications and make customizations to reach the desired look and feel. For example, the Age Verification Popup application by HulkApps would be able to take care of the age-checker.

Another thing to consider is hiring a Shopify Expert to build the website. This would allow you to pay a developer up front instead of incurring monthly fees for app usage and would allow you to build exactly what you're looking for. No pressure to do so, I just wanted to let you know your options.

It might also be a good idea to post questions here in the forums separately as you mentioned. That way you can ask individual questions in the categories they belong in and it will be easier for the community to find questions that suit their strengths. You can also reach out to us on our live support channels if you're in need of more immediate assistance.

0 Likes