No way to have variants for a one item listing?

2 0 2

I haven't gotten any helpful solutions from the support team about this, and I never even got a call back yesterday after choosing to be put in the call back que. I find it so frustrating that I can't limit a listing for a made to order item with color variants in it so that only one item can be sold from that listing and then show as sold out once sold. This is something that was really easy to do in Etsy and I mistakenly assumed it would be just as easy here, but I was wrong. Am I just missing something? I did try the MinMaxify app, but it only seems to be able to limit the amount purchased for the same customer. I tested it out by making a test item and purchasing it, but after it was purchased that listing was still available in my store. The only solution has been to make a general listing and then in the description, let people know to leave a note with their color preference. The support person I talked to in chat had told me that te pre-order app would fix this issue, but once I got it I could see nothing that actually allowed me to limit the quantity sold and it seemed fairl useless.

The chat support person did give me a link to instructions on how to do that with code, but that seemed more confusing to me as I don't work with code much at all.

Was Etsy really the better marketplace? I really don't want to go back, and splitting my store between both doesn't seem like a great solution as my customers will get confused about which store to go to. 

Does anyone out there have experience with this, or better yet, an easy solution? I am surprised it is so difficult to get this particular kind of listing to work :/

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
61 0 13

Hey Angela,

Trey here from Shopify!

It should be possible to achieve this fairly easily by creating your base product normally through the Admin, and then giving it an inventory level of 1 (meaning, once someone purchases this one product, people can't purchase it any further).

Since the product also seems to come in multiple styles, you would then want to use an app like Infinite Options to help create the different options that the product might come in, so that your customers can specify this when placing their order, for example, any colours, fabric, sizes, and so on. The selections that someone chooses would show up with the order as well, once the order is created.

Hope that helps :)

Trey S
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
2 0 2

I will try that Trey, hopefully the third time will be a charm, and I hope if anyone else has this same concern, the Shopify help team will now correctly suggest this app instead of the pre-order app to solve this. 

1 Like
Excursionist
14 0 4

Hey Angela, hope you have got your issue sorted by now.

In my other shop I use Product Customizer by Secomapp, it's an app available here on Shopify. You can do anything you want with that app - all my items are one-off and have variants and it works like a charm.

If you only have the one item, you just enter 1 as the stock level number when you create the listing. In the free themes, the item can still be added to a cart but it can't be purchased because a sign comes up that says "out of stock". If you don't want that, you have to go into your stock page and deactivate or delete the listing to stop it showing in your inventory.

You can then use the app to put as many options and variations as you want as drop-down choices within the listing. You can also add a text box so the buyer can enter their own info if you want, or so they can leave you a message right there within the listing.

You have to get a paid theme to get these features built in. Lots of them, like Vantage for instance, have all that capability in them so you don't have to use apps - but if you have started off with a free theme then you will find the functions are a bit limited in those more advanced areas..

Hope this help, Deborah

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
298 0 149

Hey Angela - I moved your thread out of the Announcements area just so that can be reserved for Announcements from Shopify Staff.

If you still need a hand, you should be able to get it here.

Let me know if there's anything I can do!

0 Likes