OMG - I lost all my changes because Shopify logged me out!

Highlighted
2 0 1

OMG - I was working on a blog post for about 2 hours and when I went to save my work, Shopify asked me to Login again and once I did, my post was completely gone!

Why did Shopify have to ask me to login again?  There were times when I was logged in for days and it never asked me to log in!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9930 105 1766

It's a harsh lesson but learn to save often with web based editors. Even if the service had auto-save (such as Google Docs), you can't rely on being logged in 24/7. Sessions can simply expire, sometimes due to the server, and other times because of your browser (and local cookies), or more commonly, it was just their time to go.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Yeah Jason I dont think that is the reason, I loged in to work on a translation, finished it 50 mins later, not even an hour since I loged in and when I clicked the save button it loged me out losing all my work, also working with templates, logged me out several times in 1 day, fastest time I got logged out automatically was around 20 mins, luckly I didnt lose that much work.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Shopify's interface does this ALLLL THE TIME. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING. I've gotten into the habit of copying and pasting my items. On my normal day, Shopify logs me out every hour. It takes me 20 minutes to half an hour to create an item in Shopify, so if I miss that, or better yet, if I have to walk away and I'm right at the end of my save time, I come back: and voila all my work is lost. SHOPIFY: Fix this! This is sloppy and you could have a Draft mode for people to save items. Especially if the only way to NOT list an item for sale with missing details is to add it to a collection so it doesn't show up right away or have it not be a part of a collection. This is one of the main things that SUCKS about Shopify's add Product interface. Using a browser/web interface for entry should not equate to your customers losing their work every time a log out occurs. Time=money. There are workarounds for this that could be programmed into the interface to allow work to be saved and it's an ill excuse at a point in time where solutions are available while still protecting security. Constantly losing work (and money because of time spent on work) is a fairly disappointing 'feature'.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Yet another simplified response from the Shopify Gurus.  If they can't answer it in one swift response they simply tell you they will take it up to the "Development Team."  I swear it's a drinking game they've created among themselves, because never once have I received a legitimate solution from them.  My next question is "who" exactly are the gurus?  Are they just other users that get some kind of discount for fielding an occasional problem but have no vested interest in getting you a solution? You can't talk to them live, and they make you go through a ridiculous amount of logins to just create any kind of communication with them.  It's beyond ridiculous.   For some unknown reason their stock has went up substantially during covid...isn't it about time to actually get dedicated gurus that will problem solve a solution with you until it's resolved and not just the typical first level beginner response?  Wait...can't answer?? Take that drinkin' game shot and move that baby on up the line to the infamous "Development Team!"  The same Development Team that likes to work on pretty bells and whistles, that involves more key strokes, but doesn't but really solve any of our immediate issues....

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 3

HAHA, i was reading this thread, and when i went to hit the like button on the last post, it took me out to a re-login page.  SOOOOOOOOO Annoying, this is happening all the time to me as well.  And it seems to become more frequent on a daily basis.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Lol. So sorry--maybe if we keep tagging this thread they'll do something about it... like add an autosave or draft feature? At least on product posts. That would be amazing.

0 Likes