One homepage, two shops, one shopping cart?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello, and please forgive me if this question exists already.

I work at a small retail yarn store, and for the past 2-3 years have been assisting the owner with a Shopify site for a niche subset of our inventory (locally-made knitting related items and yarn).  Our Shopify site has a different name and domain from our brick and mortar shop.  We have never really felt the need to have the majority of our inventory online, as it is primarily yarn that could be found in any other yarn shop nationally, until now.  Due to COVID-19, we want to make more of our products available online for our local customers who are not allowed in the shop due to a shelter-in-place order, and were wondering how we could create a sub-section of our specialty online shop for our brick & mortar shop's merchandise.  

Specifically, can we create a main page with two "doors" that lead into the two separate shops, and for each shop to have a distinct look?  Can they combine shopping carts?  I've read about creating a sub-domain, but don't really understand how to do it.... is it simple?  Would that do what we want?   Or would we be better off creating a separate site altogether?

I'm sorry I have so many questions, but we're not techies, just some ladies who like to do crafty things, and this is uncharted territory for us.  Thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

me too

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

hi there eCosori,

Since no one ever responded to my question, I had to take it upon myself to learn how to do these things, and it turned out that I didn't need a subdomain (whatever that is) and the two shops have the same look but that is more than ok.  Maybe I can save you a few steps.... 

I started by creating a new collection for our yarn shop, and added it to the homepage as a "portal" to that section.  I then made use of nested dropdown menus in Navigation so I could have the two stores side by side in the Navigation bar, each with a dropdown list of collections.  That makes it sound super simple, and it was easier than I thought it would be, but it still took a bit of time to look just right.  You can see my results at fiberofmaine.com if you're curious.

Good luck!

0 Likes